Update on Rash/BM Issues

Spencerb52
on 5/12/09 10:58 pm
Thank you SOOO much for all the kind words, advice and support on Everett's sore tush.

I switched him to soy yesterday and his bm's are much more "normal" and less frequent. Ped said that a newborn's natural *flora* can often cause this type of red irritation and formula switch doesn't always help (I still switched him anyway).

So here's what she suggested - In lieu of wiping, we are gently cleaning off with tissues then doing a Peri-bath in warm water, followed by drying with hair dryer on lowest setting. No ointment unless he'll be sleeping for more than a few hours (not happening yet LOL).

Moving forward, I'm going to try the Viva paper towels with water. I really like this idea, thanks!

Emma doesn't have an ear infection, just a nasty cold and residual fluid around the ear drum.

Everett, in a week, is 0.5 ounces from his original birth weight (he's 7 lbs 3.5 ozs), jaundice is gone and his respirations sound great!

Sorry for the long post, just hoping this info can help someone else facing similar issues.

Hugs and happy hump day!

Jo
DS:9 yrs old / DD:5 yrs old / DS: 1 yr old

"Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward." -Soren Kierkegaard-
Liz R.
on 5/12/09 11:15 pm - Easton, PA
so glad that he is doing better and Emma doesn't have an ear infection!
SHANNYN B.
on 5/12/09 11:31 pm
I am happy you got some good answers! Its always hard when our kids dont feel well!
Damayin 12-3-93
Jarrid 10-12-98
Hayvann 11-22-09
Kerstyn 4-2-11
Kinzy 4-2-11

Hollywog
on 5/12/09 11:33 pm
Glad Everett's bum's not looking like a baboon butt any more!  I'd have never thought to try the tissue or paper towels...I'd think they'd be scratchier than wipes...but whatever his bum demands.

Good news re ear not being infected.  Hope the cold goes away (w/o contaminating the rest of you) and she's feeling better soon.

Holly
 January 2008, 
               July 2008
               December 2008  
               July 2009
               September 2010
               July 2011

Mom to Khaled

Pam Hart
on 5/12/09 11:37 pm - Easton, PA
Good news on all fronts!!  Thanks for the update!
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Splenderella
on 5/13/09 12:29 am
Hi Jo!
I am glad Everett's bum is doing better! I friend of mine makes her own wipes and I found a few recipes online. Thought I would pass it on your way.

http://www.naturalbirthandbabycare.com/homemade-baby-wipes-recipes.html

http://www.christian-mommies.com/ages/babies/homemade-baby-w ipes/

Hugs!
Erika
247/154/145/139  Highest/Current/Goal/Lowest

laurexler
on 5/13/09 3:46 am - Pittsburgh, PA
So glad, Jo!  

Laurie
Mom to: Nicholas 11/1/95, Justin 6/7/97, Gabrielle (Gabi) 9/21/07

BethD
on 5/13/09 5:11 am - Winder, GA
Glad to hear things are better in little booty town! I often used wet paper towels instead of wipes with rashes! Someone always had one at my house for some reason or another!

Glad Emma's ears are clear ear infections are the worst!

Hugs
Beth

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1213 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 845 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1307 views