Baby Joseph-1 week (BF question-long)

jes7997
on 3/30/11 2:43 am - Garland, TX
Not sure how much time I have to type...so I'll at least get started.
Joseph Satriani Ragsdill was born Wednesday, March 23rd at 7:53 am at 7 lbs 9 oz and 19 1/4" long. Healthy as can be. Beyond adorable. I can't seem to put him down.
Everything went accordingly, it was a c-section so no complications.
While in the hospital, he nursed like a champ!!!  Then at discharge they were concered with his weight loss. Yes, babies lose weight after birth, but they prefer you keep it under 10%...we left with him weighing 6 lbs 12 ozs...more than 10%.
As soon as we got home, I spent what felt like the entire day nursing....finally decided he needed formula...I was out of ideas. He was finally able to poop and for his 5 day appt he had gained 3 ozs. So as sad as I am, formula is the way to go with him to ensure that he continues to gain weight the way he needs to. His jaundice even improved.

So my problem now is...do I keep pumping? I forced myself to endure 6 weeks of pumping with my first son and got only 1 once total for the entire day!!!  It's becomming evident that may be the case here also. I pumped 4 times yesterday (that's all the time I could get away) all I got 1 1/4 oz total.    Is it worth the time away from the rest of my family for one ounce a day ?  I'm ready to give up...or at least pu**** to 4 weeks (2 weeks shy of my other son). My other son turned out ok.

What would you do?  (I had a breast reduction 10 years ago and they removed the areola completely which means the connections are not necessarily there). I am coming to terms with it but mix all that with the hormone-postpardum, it's difficult.

Any kind thoughts would be appreciated.
Hugs and Love,
Jessica

Lexa321
on 3/30/11 2:55 am - weston, FL
congrats on your little man..i know nothing about breast feeding... but my kids dont have 4 heads from drinking formula and the are smart.. healthy.. and well adjusted children
jes7997
on 3/30/11 5:36 am - Garland, TX
Thank you Lexa.
Just found out my 5 1/2 year old tested 126 IQ and 94% for school stuff...so yep, formula doesn't hurt.
I just keep trying to tell myself that I've given it 110%....

Thanks,
Jessica
Lianne C.
on 3/30/11 2:56 am - Garden City, MI
As I am very pro breast milk, I don't think you should be stressing yourself out with that! If you cannot produce enough, than you cannot produce enough. I know that when I pumped at first it was the same, real small supply, but a pump is not as effective as the baby is. I know that I had a supply issue at first, and my great aunt told me to drink a beer a day to increase the supply. Well I did research on it and everything I saw said that you do not have to pump and dump because alcohol only stays in your milk as long as it stays in your blood. So I would take a couple sips throughout the day. Needless to say, My supply tripled! I don't know if that helps you or not. So if you cannot get your supply up, don't stress yourself out with pumping. Spend the time with your family!

Good Luck!
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
jes7997
on 3/30/11 5:35 am - Garland, TX
Thank you Lianne,
I think I'm coming to terms with pumping for a few more weeks and calling it a day. I tried to get Joseph to latch and he's not interested. I'll get over that. But at least I will have the memories from the hospital  :)

I know that some is better than none...so I will accept what my body is going to give me for now.
I know I'm not helping matters by not eating and drinking enough...but that's something I'm trying to work on...

Thank you again!!!
Hugs,
Jessica
Hollywog
on 3/30/11 3:03 am
If it's what you want to do, then pump as much as you can for as long as you can, then call it a day.  Your sweetie pie (who's beautiful, BTW) will be fine with what you can get. The colustrum is the important part for him, which is what you'd be getting right now.  Just look at it at you're breast 'snacking' him...giving him healthy little snacks to go with his formula meals.  Not that the formula's not healthy...but that just means he gets healthy 'snacks' too.

Whatever you decide...just know you're doing it for your own physical/mental health also.  You need to be happy and healthy so your baby will be happy and healthy.

Congrats on Joseph's birth.

Holly
 January 2008, 
               July 2008
               December 2008  
               July 2009
               September 2010
               July 2011

Mom to Khaled

jes7997
on 3/30/11 5:38 am - Garland, TX
Thank you Holly.
That is a great way to think about it "healthy snacks".
That definitely makes me feel better.

Your words are very helpful and I greatly appreciate them!!  Thank you!

Hugs,
Jessica
Kerri B.
on 3/30/11 3:20 am
Hey Jes!! Congrats on a very adorable little guy!! As for the breastfeeding- we kind of had the same problem except Landen would nurse, but he was soooooo tired and wasn't an agressive eater. He did have jaundice, but he only lost 7ozs while in the hospital, so he was evidently getting some breast milk from me. On Tuesday when I was told I was released, they then dropped the bomb that they would not let him leave just yet. They had 1000 reasons (using their concern over his not eating enough the day before after they kept taking him from me and I was a ftm trying to make it work and it was a difficult experience), but those reasons weren't heard of until I wanted to go home. Needless to say, the nurses were torturing me and him because they were concerned he wasn't eating and I finally said enough and fed him formula. He is doing so well on the formula and is gaining weight quickly.

Whatever choice you make, please don't be hard on yourself. I struggled with the choice of formula too and when we got home and I realized just how stressed and hormonal I truely was I decided it was more beneficial to me to just stick with the formula and it set my mind at ease being able to have an actual number of ounces he had eaten written done on a paper in front of me and not relying on him trying to breastfeed and not getting enough.

Hope you're recovering well and two thumbs up again on an adorable little guy :) and here's to little guy gaining some more weight! Hugs!!
~Kerri
jes7997
on 3/30/11 5:40 am - Garland, TX

Thank you Keri.

I'm so glad to hear that Landen is doing so well!!
We saw a turn around once Joseph was feeding on formula. So I have no doubts it's a good idea....I just wonder how much should I put myself through for literally, an ounce a day....

Thank you for always having something positive to say. I have enjoyed sharing with you during this whole 9 months.

keep me updated.
Super big hugs,
jessica

Kerri B.
on 3/30/11 10:03 pm
Awww thank you sweetie! I will def not be running away anytime soon and I plan to stick around these board for a little while longer...I still need ALL the help I can get with info and advice ;) This may be my last little one, but he's my first and I sure have my clueless and I need help days! This place provides me with some sanity in the mind of SAHM mom with some times too much time on her hands LOL

Everything will work out for you and baby boy and before we know it we're going to be in the walking/talking/ driving us nuts stage LOL

BIG hugs back and feel free to stay in touch- email me anytime- [email protected]!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1231 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 855 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1317 views