8 weeks pregnant need Info

drkangel101
on 3/30/11 11:34 am - lawrenceville, GA
Hello everyone  I am about 8 months out and I just found out two weeks ago I am pregnant now about 8 weeks. I was just wondering if anyone would want to share some  info , was there anything  that I should watch for  other then vitamin levels? Were u able to take the glucose test ? If not what  did they do instead my nurse said something about some patients bring some special jelly beans?? I am able to tolerate pretty much anything so I havent had to many problems with food other then just normal nausea the nutrition office they want me to go to is telling me I will now getting the dumping  so I need to increase calories..lol I havent had any dumping at all. So anything anyone can share  any experience  that occured after getting pregnant would be great  thanks:)
" Faith is the soul daring to go Beyond what the eyes can see"

Ralph Z.
on 3/30/11 12:27 pm
Hi there,
throughout my pregnancy, I've been pretty much able to tolerate most things, even did the glucose drink test and didn't dump.I knew I wouldn'tas my body seems much more tolerant of sugar duringmy pregnancy.
Are you on a good vitamin schedule - you will need to incorporate iron also. - Check with your bariatric team/ bariatric nutritionist and what they recommend for you. 
One thing I did was to eac much more frequently to ensure I got plenty of calories in and be sure to include carbs in your intake, as you need them to avoid ketosis, which is bad for the baby's development.
Good luck and welcome to the board.

chelle614
on 3/30/11 1:10 pm, edited 3/30/11 1:12 pm - Chester, NY
Hi and congrats.
Personally I don't think a glucose test should be mandatory for an RNY patient. You can refuse it. If you are worried about gestational diabetes,,,there will be other signs if you do get it.
Let your WLS staff know you are pregnant. They will want to run a full panel on you and set you up with a nutritionist to be sure you know what to eat.
It is important you stay out of ketosis (high protien-low carb). That is bad for fetal development. Your labs will tell you more about which vitamins you should take. The bottom line would be 2 multivites a day, 1500mg of calcium citrate, D3 (level will vary but I take 1000 IU daily) a monthly B12 shot or daily sublingual, be sure one of your multi-s or prenatals have iron in them. You may need to supplement. Try to get some veggis and fruits in for complex carbs. Orange juice is a good thing if you cannot tolerate anything yet.
Make sure you space the calcium out throughout the day and do not take it within 2 hours of an iron supplement or multi if it contains iron. Otherwise the iron will not absorb.
Also, I would recommend 400mg extra daily of folic acid. I know this all seems like a lot but once you get in the routine it will become a habit.
Good luck. If the WLS surgeon or OB offer you conflicting advice, go with (usually) what the WLS staff tells you. A lot of OB's are clueless about what an RNY patient needs. Or ask us :)

M/C 10/18/10  9w2d...forever loved

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
                                                      It's a boy!

Striving4Change
on 3/31/11 12:05 am
CONGRATS, wishing you all the best!!!
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers
HT 5'3"/ HW:292 / Consult wt:276 / Surgery wt:259/Goal 155lbs

ajalew
on 3/31/11 12:40 am - Sanford, MI
Okay, this is my third attempt at posting a response! Argh. My doc's office does a 2 week blood sugar test for people who've had RNY. They do not let RNYers do the regular gluclose tests. I was an exception only because my RNY was only to bypass a stricture and NOT bypass any intestines. But I really had to convince them of this in order to have them give me the regular gluclose test.

I also got pregnant only four months after surgery but I didn't get it for weight loss so what I did lose wasn't a whole lot. However, I have had to "work at" trying to maintain my weight during the pregnancy. I have a BUNCH of great, tasty ways I get healthy protein, super greens, and other baby-needed foods in my system without feeling stuffed all the time. I wrote them up but they've been deleted now and my fingers are getting tired of re-writing. Sooo, if you want any information on the "all natural" way I've approached this (things like Boost, Ensure give me terrible headaches because of all the additives) just let me know. I'd be happy to share with you.

Good luck with your pregnancy!!
drkangel101
on 3/31/11 1:20 am - lawrenceville, GA
Thanks everyone for the responses, my docs office if familiar with RNY patients and I callen my surgeons office and asked what my ob"s office should be watching for ect... I  Only take 2 prenats a day and iron that is pretty much all I have taken since a litt;e bit after surgery and  everytime I get my blood work done it comes back normal I just had my calcium, iron , B12  all that tested and everything was normal. I  will definatley be aware of the floic acid intake and I can pretty much tolerate anything and I am eating like every 2 hours lol and I am getting carbs in  the cravings are so random  one minute I want meat the next I want fruit , skittles  lol its so weird but as long as I can tolerate it I eat it  and the one thing I am concerned about is weight loss, with my oldest child I lost 60lbs and  my 2nd  I lost 50lbs and that was without the surgery..lol I have a tendency to loose weight when I am pregnant already so now I have had this surgery and I am going to have to work extra hard to atleast maintain my weight which I have lost 4lbs already but I am only 8 weeks so we will see.  I had my surgery July 19th of last year and I am down 100lbs so far so I just want to maintain that until after the baby. I  need to talk to my surgeons office though I am kind of wondering why I can only take  2 prenats  and iron a day and my labs have always been ok and everyone else is taking  50 pills ..lol

chelle614
on 3/31/11 1:34 am - Chester, NY
Hi again,
Deficiancies can take a year to show up, even more. Since you only had RNY recently, I wouldn't expect you to have any major problems bloodwork issues.
But if you are nat taking calcium citrate, than you are not absorbing any at all. That will become an issue soon and even more so that you're pregnant. The baby will take what it needs from you and your reserve but that can leave you with brittle bones and dental problems years down the line.
A good brand of citrate that is easily accessible is Citrical petites.

M/C 10/18/10  9w2d...forever loved

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
                                                      It's a boy!

drkangel101
on 3/31/11 2:19 am - lawrenceville, GA
I have those, and I dont want those issues so I will be taking them!

MusicMaryn
on 3/31/11 2:50 am - San Jose, CA
Congratulations!  Nothing else to add other than what everyone else has already posted.  Good luck and here's to a happy and healthy 9 mos!
Our little miracle baby boy is on his way!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

hockeybabe2u
on 3/31/11 4:13 am - Allegan, MI
You don't have to take the glucose test that make you drink that sugar water.  They can run a test where you fast during the night, go in the morning and have your blood drawn and then go eat a normal lunch or breakfast and come back I believe 2 hours later and draw your blood again.  That is what I did with my last baby and plan on doing with this baby!  All the other advise you were giving sounds right on!  Congrats!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1225 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 853 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1316 views