Thank you Modest Vixen and More GD Questions

Jenn1973
on 4/7/11 10:36 am - Ottawa, Canada
Hi Girls,

I just posted a quick thank you to Modest Vixen about her GD test experience.  As a RNY dumper, I know that the test will make me really sick really quickly.  Anyway, that subject was totally tapped in the last stream of posts about GD and the required test.

Here is my new question,  Does anyone know an RNYer who has had GD post-op?  I thought one of the hugest benefit of the RNY procedure was the eradication of diabetes.  Or is that only Type 2 Diabetes? 

Any feedback would be great.  I am really just curious because I didn't think that diabetes would ever be an issue given the RNY.

Much Love,

Jenn

Baby Boy Julian Frederick
Born August 11, 2011

hockeybabe2u
on 4/7/11 11:05 am - Allegan, MI
Hi Jenn!  That's a good question!  I don't think having RNY automatically disqualifies someone of having GD, but reduces the risk significantly!  I'm sure some people can still have GD if their BMI is still high even after having surgery.....but then again, I'm no doctor!  It just seems that I seen a contestant on the Biggest Loser having GD that was still obese after having the surgery ....but then again, I could be mistaken.  It will be interesting to see what other people have to say!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

Kerri B.
on 4/7/11 10:32 pm
Another suggestion in place of the GD test would be having your doctor add a work up for your A1C counts during your blood work labs. This test is a combined calc of your blood sugars over about the past 3 months period time span. I had this done twice during my pregnancy and did not have GD.

Pre-pregnancy - my weight was still considered obese again for my size- 5'3" and 185. Throughout my pregnancy I gained 37lbs total, but measured consistentaly ahead. So, my doctor was watching me for GD and thought the baby was big...however, he was in fact average in size, but a long baby- born at 39 weeks being 7lbs 3oz and 20.5in. GD doesn't necessarily have to do with just weight in general. RNY and loosing the weight helps to greatly reduce our chances of getting GD, but anyone can get GD- skinny people included. Some people are just genetically dispositioned when it comes to GD and get the short end of the stick regardless of their size. It basically falls along the guidelines for diabetes itself. Skinny people can have it as well. It's just one of those unlucky things sometimes, but added weight does play a part in causing heavier women to have higher chances of having GD or even diabetes.

And Congrats!! My little guy is such a blessing and little boys really are lots of fun :)
Jenn1973
on 4/9/11 4:38 am - Ottawa, Canada
Thanks Girls!

I am so curious about all this!  I am at 21 weeks and have only gained 3 pounds.  I am not "under weight"  or skinny by any stretch of the imagination, 5'10, size 12 -  but am having trouble gaining right now.  My belly is growing and my shape is changing, but the pounds are still pretty stable.

Time will tell about GD, I guess.  Thanks again for the tips/hints!

Jenn

Baby Boy Julian Frederick
Born August 11, 2011

Modest Vixen
on 4/9/11 6:07 am - Surprise, AZ
Oh I haven't gained a pound this entire pregnancy! As long as baby is measuring ok, you shouldn't stress that so much. I am going to have more frequent ultrasounds coming up to keep an eye on her to make sure, but so far my OB isn't concerned with lack of gain.

~*Crystal*~

HW-327/SW-313/CW-271/Doc's Goal:150 ......Awaiting Revision to DS     
Post RNY baby born 6 weeks early, Jaelyn Mary Christine May 9th, 2011    

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1225 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 853 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1316 views