COLIC!!! I'm going crazy here!!!

Tylers_mom
on 4/10/11 5:32 am, edited 4/10/11 5:33 am - Bel Air, MD
Hey ladies,

It's been a while since I've posted and I surely miss you guys and the Friday rants, etc. I've been so busy trying to find my mind, as I've lost it. Trying to get sleep too, as I gave birth to a very colicky baby. Tyler, my first never had Colic and I'm not sure what to do. It seems she can cry for hours and nothing I do seem to help. We at first though it was the Gas, as she has this painful look on her face after eating and she seems to fart a lot. She stiffens her back and straigthens her legs as if somethings hurting digestive wise. I give her Mylicon drops, Gripe Water, rock her, hold her, etc. and nothing seems to settle her. It's predictable, the rages/colicky bouts as they always happen between 1:00am-4:00am. Any ideas on what I can do to help her?

Oh yeah, how do you know if your child is lactose and or milk protein intolerant? Could that be the source of her pain and if it is, why isn't she crying hairy carri in the day feedings?

Desperate MOM - Gina

tripmom02
on 4/10/11 5:38 am - NJ
I am so sorry you are going though this. Go to your local library and get a copy of the video (or book) The Happiest Baby on the Block, saved my sanity and might help save yours!

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Tylers_mom
on 4/10/11 5:43 am - Bel Air, MD
Thank you Courtney, Googling that as we speak. I just don't know what to do. There have been many nights where I've sat there and cried. I even second guess my ability to care for her. In one of my moments of weakness I even suggested adoption. I know that sounds cruel and harsh, but when you go nearly 36 hours with 1 hour sleep....well let's say the government uses "sleep depervation" as a means of torture for a reason. You literally go crazy...I love her very much and regret even thinking that, but I was not in the right mind. I'm grounding myself , by asking my husband for help, as I tried to do it all by myself at first. Thinking I was this superwoman, but I've learned to ask for more help and when things get bad....I get my husband and I walk away to gather my sanity for a bit. It's hard and I want to learn how to help her. Thanks for the suggestion sweet heart.

~~Gina
tripmom02
on 4/10/11 9:37 am - NJ
 I have been there, and honestly I think most new moms have been, unfortunatly they don't share these feelings (or tell you that you might expereience them) b/c of fear of what others might think. It is a completely normal thing to question yourself, your baby and your love/bond with baby so don't every beat yourself up for feeling that way. You did exactly the right thing by accepting help (which can be SO hard to do, even from your own spouse), and by coming here to see if anyone has any help for you! 

When you read or listen to The Happiest Baby on the Block you might think it's crazy, but I swear it works! My other suggestion would be to invest in a GOOD swaddeling blanket, it's well worth the money (like worth it's weight in GOLD, if you ask me LOL). This is the one I had, and it is my standared baby gift at EVERY baby shower I go to (along with a copy of The Happiest Baby)! 

http://www.miracleblanket.com/ 

You are a great mom, don't ever doubt it for a minute!

Kerri B.
on 4/10/11 6:10 am
Hey Gina! I have no words of wisdom, but wanted to say I'm sorry you're having to go through that. I babysat a 9 week old baby before for just one day with colic and I wanted to loose my mind also. Hope you find some answers and get some relief!! So nice to see ya around but sorry for the cir****tances :(

Hugs
Kerri
Lexa321
on 4/10/11 6:57 am - weston, FL

is she doing this with all her feedings? or just the 3 hours in the middle of the night? if its really true colic there is nothing you can do execpt wait it out... how old is she now?  ... i found this /

The classic definition of a colicky baby is one who meets the "rule of threes": He or she cries three hours a day, three days a week, for three weeks in a row. About 20% of babies fit this profile of inconsolable crying and wailing, usually sometime between ages 2 weeks and 3-4months

"5 S's" to extinguish their baby's shrieking. "Depending on how colicky or difficult a baby is, you may need to use all five," he says, noting that layering one on top of another can soothe even the loudest little tear-jerker.

• Swaddling. Wrap your baby tightly in a receiving blanket to duplicate the feelings of warmth and protection, and the "tight fit," in the womb. Swaddling also stops your baby's uncontrolled arm and leg flailing that can contribute to hysterical wailing. Karp says your baby will be calmer if she's swaddled 12-20 hours a day in the beginning. "Twelve hours may seem like a lot from our point of view, but to the newborn, it's already a 50% cutback on the 24-hour-a-day 'snuggling' in the uterus," he explains.
  • Side/stomach soothing. Lay your baby on her side or stomach, which Karp believes shuts down the baby's "Moro reflex," or a sensation of falling, and thus helps keep her calm. (He adds, however, that a baby should never be put to sleep on her stomach, since this may increase the risk of SIDS, or sudden infant death syndrome).
  • Shhhing sounds. There is a whooshing noise within the womb, caused by blood flowing through the mother's arteries. You can recreate this sound with a "white-noise" machine, a tape or CD with these "white-noise" sounds, a dishwasher, a car ride, or a hair dryer.
  • Swinging. Rhythmic movements in an infant swing, hammock, moving automobile, or baby carrier can keep your baby content.
  • Sucking. Occupy your baby with a pacifier, infant bottle -- or a mother's nipple (which Karp describes as "the all-time, No. 1 sucking toy in the world").

have you tried gentley rubbing her belly? or the bike kicks with her legs? good luck.

mzicuis
on 4/10/11 7:05 am
My 1st daughter went through that and we ended up at a GI doctor which was the ONLY thing that saved me from going crazy..literally. She tried every formula and finally ended up on a prescription one called Neocate. My insurance picked the totaly cost for the whole time she was on it whihc was until she became a toddler. NOTHING helped poor abby wither..and back then Gripe water whihc was supposed to be the best reliefe was very ahrd to find and I drove miles to get it..nothing. The only thing that I did find that worked for her was that she slept in her swing till she was about 2. (She is very little). She was dx with reflux, even though everyone said it was just "colic' and neither the zantac nor the other reflux med worked for her. The swing and then wehen she got too bog to sleep in the swing, I put a wedge of foam under the head of her matress. I'm sure this isn't great info, but I feel you and all that you are going thru..fight for the GI consult...
Ready2sleeve80
on 4/10/11 8:25 am
Sounds absolutely identical to my daughter, who is now 8!  I still remember those first 6 months of her life very well, because like you, I got no sleep, couldn't figure out what was wrong, and I lost my mind as well! 

I took my daughter to a different doctor, and he quickly diagnosed her with reflux.  For 6 months our previous doctor had told me it was colic, and I knew deep down he was wrong.  Immediately after giving her the medication for reflux, her screaming stopped and she felt sooo much better.  I also propped her up on a wedge at night, and I think there are sleep aids available now for babies with reflux to help keep their bodies elevated.  I've even heard of people putting their baby to sleep in a carseat and putting them in the crib that way. 

My daughter used to straighten her legs out and stiffen up the way you describe your baby doing.  I can almost bet it's reflux.  Don't let the doctor insist it's colic, because there is a good chance that it's not.

Hope this helps! 

Jen
tripmom02
on 4/10/11 2:24 pm - NJ
 Just an FYI, babies should never be left to sleep all night in their carseats, a recent study shows that the head tilt that can be caused by the position of the seat can actually block the air way and cause issues with neck muslces, so it should never be used as a long term solution to nighttime issues with crying and reflux.

Jennifer Q.
on 4/10/11 9:24 am - Newton, NJ
 So sorry you are going through this!! My youngest has a soy and a milk protein allergy.  She would projectile vomit across the room and also cry in pain after feedings.  They tested her stool and determined that was what it was.  I tried to cut all dairy and soy out of my diet and continue to bf for a month but if I would not realize and eat something she would suffer.  SOY is in EVERYTHING!!! She is better now, but still very sensitive to soy.  She has outgrown the milk protein allergy. (she is 2).  If it continues try a pediatric GI.  We have a great childrens hospital in our area and they were very supportive of me trying to continue to bf and help her with out rx intervention.  I ended up giving her zantac (I think that is what it was) and it did help her and thus help the crying, but the big change was switching from bf to a hypoallergenic formula.  It is very expensive, but our insurance actually re-imbursed 50% of the cost.  and totally worth it for her relief.  Hope that helps.  Blessings and wishing you some peace and rest. 

SW 241.6/ CW 138.8/ GW 140
    At Goal 12/11/2009          
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1232 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1317 views