Increasing breastmilk supply - Fenugreek question

Tylers_mom
on 4/24/11 7:45 am - Bel Air, MD

I'm having trouble keeping up with my little lady's eating demands and often have to supplement feedings. I didn't have this problem with my son Tyler. Now I'm trying to figure out ways to increase my supply. I have been pumping every 4 hours, but thinking I should do it more often to up my supply. I did read that this herbal vitamin called "Fenugreek" might help. Anyone try this? If so, did it work?

~~Gina

kalamtykel
on 4/24/11 10:48 am
Hi Gina,

I did try Fenugreek years ago with my first son.  It did seem to work a little.  It seemed like I had to take a bunch a day though.  But i was unable to nurse, so i pumped exclusively for 6 months.  I'd say if you feel like youre having trouble maiuntaining your milk supply then give it a shot.  It couldnt hurt.  One thing i will say, is that i hated the smell of the capsules.  My girlfriend also took them and she didnt notice any weird smell.  So maybe it was just me.  Just thought i'd throw that out there.  Good luck!  Youre doing the right thing trying to keep up with your little girl instead of giving up.  Props to you! 

Kelly
Paula622
on 4/24/11 12:53 pm
You could try it, but I'd save it as more of a last resort.  Nursing is based on supply and demand.  The more  you supplement, the less you produce.  I'd pick a weekend (or a few day stretch when you're home all day) and don't supplement at all.  If the baby is not getting enough to satisfy her at each feeding, she will cry to eat more often.... feed her as often as she wants during this time.  This will let your body know to up production and will send the message to produce more milk.  This is very similar to what happens naturally when a baby has a growth spurt and nurses all day for a day or two to get mom producing more.  I would bet that after a few days of this, your body will catch up.  Supplementing is usually a downward spiral toward not being able to nurse.  The more you supplement, the less your body produces, and the more you end up having to supplement.  I know that the idea of your daughter being hungry, or less than satisfied, is unsettling, but it really doesn't take long with increased nursings to increase your supply.  Of course, if she is losing weight or you feel after two or three days of this that she is still not satisfied your peds or a good lactation consultant should be able to steer you in the right direction.  Good luck!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

SassySamara
on 4/24/11 11:21 pm - San Antonio, TX
I did Fenugreek with my son and it helped. I took the pills but you can also get it in powder or tea form as well. In Morocco, where my family is from, within 3 days of birth they have you eat a chicken and bread type dish that has a sauce made from Fenugreek so I was familiar with it because of that. It is also a popular ingredient in Indian disheds/You can also try Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Lactation cookies ( taste great)which have Brewer's Yeast in them (think Beer) that helps. You can google the recipe. I did actually find a Brewer's Yeast supplement that you can take but did not seem to work for me. Word to the wise on the Fenugreek, you will start to notice a syrupy smell to your urine, and skin/sweat but that means it is working.

Lilypie - (8swr) Lilypie - (XAvt)

Lianne C.
on 4/25/11 4:18 am - Garden City, MI
I started sipping a beer throughout the day, and now I have a great supply. The good thing is that it is in your milk only as long as it is in your system. I drink some after the baby eats so it is out of my system by the next time he eats. I know that it is really a no no for us RNY patients, but I leave it out so the carbonation is very low!
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
linda.traxler
on 4/25/11 6:31 pm - Laßnitzhöhe, Austria
I used Fenugreek with my daughter and it worked wonderfully!  Give it a try, there are no contraindications to it.  Another helpful tip is to pump a few minutes on each side when she is finished, this will help increase your supply as well.

Good luck!!
Angie C.
on 4/27/11 12:25 am
i asked the same question on the board..(asked if caloric intake affected production) and did some research on it. I took fenugreek.. didnt really help. I'm now finding articles on if your iron or B12 is low, it affects your milk supply.. so try upping that! I have been getting less & less milk as the weeks go on, even with pumping in between feedings. It's so frustrating!!

btw, my dr. told me to try fenugreek- 2 capsules 3x day. (bottle says to take only 1.. but guy at vitamin store said to take more too). Mr dr also suggested a litte beer..

RNY 4/17/2009- 130 lbs lost!    

~Pregnant with 3rd girl! Due 10/8/14 and keeping right on track!~ 
~Baby Grace Fay was born 3/20/2011! 6 lbs, 18 inches and doing great! ~
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1231 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1317 views