How long after surgery did you wait to get pregnant?

newmonica30
on 4/26/11 1:28 am - Philadelphia, PA
My doc's office advises waiting 18 months to get  pregnant. DH really wants one and I've been feeling the bug as well. I'm thinking about starting to try at 12 months out (I'm not quite at 8 yet), figuring if I get pregnant at 14-16 months out thats not that much time difference/not that much earlier. BUT I want to do what's best for me, my body/surgery, and of course for baby. How long did you wait/how long after surgerywere you pregnant?
Doctor's reaction? How is your pregnancy going? Thanx.

The time will come when, with elation you will greet yourself arriving at your own door, in your own mirror and each will smile at the other's welcome, and say, sit here. Eat. You will love again the stranger who was your self.Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart to itself, to the stranger who has loved you all your life, whom you ignored for another, who knows you by heart. take down the love letters from the bookshelf, the photographs, the desperate notes, peel your own image from the mirror. Sit. Feast on your life. ~D.W.
~Monica.30 y.o.5'8".SW-265.GW-150~

GorgeousIsa
on 4/26/11 1:40 am - Philly-delphia, PA
Hi Monica... I am from Philadelphia as well and live in Delaware Cty now but I got pregnant more than 2 years post op, not planned, and am now 11 weeks... I would definitely give it a little more time esp. if the Dr. says so, maybe work had to get to goalor even 8 more months which will be 16 months post op... Whatever the case it is up to you and your DH. I wish you the best and KIT fellow Philly girl.
HIGH-294CURRENT-151 GOAL-150LBS GONE-143LBS 2 GO-1 (Last weigh in 7/14)   Platics Done: Breast Reduction (5/14) Extended Tummy Tuck w/ Anchor & Brachioplasty (5/29)
Crazy* ~Beautiful
on 4/26/11 2:32 am - East Haven, VT
I am just over 9 months post op, hubby and I are planning to "baby dance" right around the one year mark (July). I'm scheduled to see my gyno in May, so I hope to get her approval/support to TTC when the time comes. The recommended is 12-18 months,sometimes even 24 months. Personally I feel like 12 months is enough...my weight has pretty much stabilized, I feel confident that I can eat enough to provide me and baby with proper nutrition, I almost at goal, and I am in the best shape of my life.
My main reason behind my decision for WLS was so I could have healthy pregnancies in the future. Hopefully when I see my surgeron in July, he will give me the go-ahead.

good luck to you!
RNY-7/22/2010-Highest weight 315 / Surgery weight 280 / Current weight 186
1st Goal weight 199~"one"derland-REACHED! 2nd Goal weight 180~-TO BE CONTINUED!
  1st 5K: 29.48-5/19/2011  2nd 5K: 26.47-7/16/2011
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
plusizedbarbie
on 4/26/11 2:49 am - Manahawkin, NJ
23 months
MY WLS RECIPE BLOG!  -- Check it out http://plusizedbarbie.blogspot.com/

Lilypie - (vbmr)    Lilypie - (fb9N)

Changed for good
                            ...september 17, 2007...

HHTX
on 4/26/11 3:46 am - Colleyville, TX
Almost six years.....LOL! My surgeon advised to wait two years.
Heather D. -  RNY 08/2005 Starting weight 280 Lowest weight 18 months after surgery 135

Expecting my first - July 20th 2011
Hollywog
on 4/26/11 4:11 am
I would tell you to wait until your weight has stabilized for about 6 months.  That's usually  how they gauge when you're OK to conceive.  Some people's weight loss 'window' is still going at 24 18-24 months, which is why some drs will say up to two years.  I know it may seem a hard weight, but I assume you had WLS not only to get pregnant and have a healthy pregnancy, but to do the best for your body.  Don't cut your surgery benefits short - even just those few months - by getting pregnant too early.  Let your surgeyr do it's work so that when the time comes, your body's in the ultimate baby making mode to do it's job.  If your weight loss has stabilized (ie you're not losing any more) at 12 months, then give it a few months to ensure that it's stabilized before TTC.  Talk to your OB/GYN and your surgeon to ensure they're all on the same page on whether it's a good time for you.

I hope once you are ready to TTC, that you get a BFP quickly.  In the meantime, hang out with us here and learn everything you'll need to know so that you're well prepared when the time is right.  You don't have to be actively TTC or pregnant to join us.  Welcome.

Holly
 January 2008, 
               July 2008
               December 2008  
               July 2009
               September 2010
               July 2011

Mom to Khaled

PrettyPixieGirl
on 4/26/11 9:12 am
It is different person to person. I was just about 1 year when I got pregnant (unplanned). But my weight had been pretty steady of maybe 2lbs lost in the month. Whatever timeframe you decide just get your vitamin lvls checked. Start the folic acid vitamins before you even start so it is built up in your system.

I had just started enjoying shopping where I wanted and skinny jeans. So consider that you might need that reward for all the hard work you put in to lose the weight. It was emotional for me when I gained during my pregnancy and I hit 200+ again. We have that added mental stress while pregnant.

So consider everything before deciding what is right for you.

HW:260+ SW: 248 Pre-Preg 180 Post-Preg Starting Wt: 225 Current PP wt: 195 GW: 170ish. 

SHANNYN B.
on 4/26/11 9:35 am
You should wait until your surgeon gives you the ok. There is too much that can go wrong and its worth it to wait. Thats why most of us have the surgery to be healthy and able to have kids.
Damayin 12-3-93
Jarrid 10-12-98
Hayvann 11-22-09
Kerstyn 4-2-11
Kinzy 4-2-11

trouble256
on 4/26/11 2:06 pm - Athens, AL
I had surgery to have a baby. That was my entire reason. I mean the healthy body is a mega bonus, but I knew I was meant to be a mommy, and it wasnt happening without my RNY. That being said, my surgeon's rule was 12-18 months. However, he knew my history and my husbands history and after speaking to him at my 6 month check up he said I had exceeded his "expectations" and said that at my 9 month mark if I felt comfortable I could speak with my OB/GYN and see was his advice was....well I did this ( I think I actually started talking to everyone around the 8 month mark). And even saw a "fertility" dr because my husbands past testicular (sp) cancer.

All of the drs agreed that we would have a difficulty conceiving so they agreed we could start "trying" at the 9 month mark.  Literally 21 days after we "started" we were expecting our LIttle Claudia. No one expected us to get pregnant this early. I mean for goodness sake, I have had PCOS for YEARS and hubs was only working with 9 mil sperm count. It was SUPPOSED to take FOREVER!! Haha! Little do they know what GBS does to you!! Jokes on them!!

Even though it was a true blessing and we wanted her so badly....(and still do obviously) It was NOT an easy road. I feared for my child constantly. At 9 months post op I was only getting about 800 calories a day. 400 of which were fuel for my body making this baby and the other 400 to feed me. My body was NOT ready for this. I was bascially on bedrest for 6 months. I was instructed by my surgeon, ob and nutritionist to sit in bed, eat, rinse repeat. I had to "graze" eat all day long. I was terrified I would undo my new belly. Luckily...I didnt. I did give in to cravings even though I would kick myself later....are you prepared to eat carbs? cause pregnant...ya kinda have to!

I had other difficulties to during pregnancy. I was constantly passing out due to my body not getting "enough". I did everything "as directed" drank the shakes, ate as much protein as possible, etc. I started going into labor around 24 weeks because eventually I wasnt getting enough fluids (even thought I was drinking 100+ oz a day!!) 

After I gave birth to a perfectly healthy baby girl on 7-2-10 (exactly 18 months after RNY) I was IN LOVE! and realized even through all the crap I couldnt even think of changing a thing! However, I was so upset that breastfeeding didnt work out. Again, my body wasnt used to taking care of me, much less me and feed a baby (recommended 2300 calories a day to do this, i was lucky to get 1200). I kept up with her for about 3 weeks struggled in week 4 and then dried up completely at 5 weeks. I tried everything! had a LC for weeks, pumped after every feeding  and every two hours regardless, didnt supplament until i was forced to by dr's. etc.

I hope you wait until your doctors agree whats best for you on a personal scale, not the general recommendation. Just remember, every choice you make not only affects you, but your baby too. Its not an easy road sometimes. (God I hope it is for you!!)

Im sorry my replay was so long, I just felt it would make more sense to you if I let you in on all of it. BTW< Im in my SECOND post op pregnancy now 2 yrs out, and everything is perfect! no fainting, i dont have to eat all the time...etc.

Good Luck and God Bless!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1231 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 855 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1317 views