temping...

Crazy* ~Beautiful
on 7/13/11 4:18 am - East Haven, VT
hello ladies...I need some input from the "experts" :)
I've been temping for a few months, the 1st cycle I noticed that my temps were always reallllly low and I never saw a "pattern", so I thought my thermometer was faulty so I went out and bought a new one.  Well I am on cycle/month 3 of tracking my temps.  Is it normal that my temp never seems to get about 97?  I'm usually between the 96.0-96.53 range....and I'm not noticing any real "spikes"...any advice/help?  Maybe I'm doing something wrong to throw off my temps?  I'm doing it the same time every morning, & the same spot under my tongue...hmmm?

thanks for your help!
RNY-7/22/2010-Highest weight 315 / Surgery weight 280 / Current weight 186
1st Goal weight 199~"one"derland-REACHED! 2nd Goal weight 180~-TO BE CONTINUED!
  1st 5K: 29.48-5/19/2011  2nd 5K: 26.47-7/16/2011
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Sarah V.
on 7/13/11 5:37 am
I could never get the hang of temping.  My suggestion is go on eBay and find a deal on OPKs and use those instead.  I got 100 OPKs and 25 EPTs for like $20 when I was TTC.

Here's a listing for 100 OPKs for 16.99.  http://cgi.ebay.com/100-LH-Ovulation-Predictor-Kit-Test-Stri p-OPK-Fast-Ship-/110696013809?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&ha****e m19c5ff1ff1

Lap Band September 2007 / Slip discovered March 2014 after significant regain / Revised to VSG April 29, 2014

trustno1
on 7/13/11 8:15 am - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 01/30/09 with
I have read that low temps can mean thyroid issues.  But you should still be able to see a spike.  I eventually switched to vaginal temping and found it MUCH more accurate, as well as forgiving if I had to pee in the middle of the night and didn't get at least 3 hours in bed.

Are you using Fertility Friend to chart?

I DID Make It - 135.4 8-1-10!  Now working on post baby weight loss. (All WL post-op - preop got up to 220 from quitting smoking & last supper syndrome.)  5'2"
lesliejayne
on 7/13/11 8:25 am - Noxapater, MS
I had really low temps as well.  My temps were 95.6 to 96.04.  I do have hypothyroidism, but my hormone levels were normal, so my meds were correct.  I have always had really low temps.  My spike wasn't very much at all the month I ovulated. I would have never noticed it on my own.  Fertility Friend is what flagged it as enough to say that I ovulated.....and I must have, because I got pregnant that month! 
Leslie

XiomisMom
on 7/13/11 10:42 am
I would second the OPK's. They are sooo much easier. My temps were also low, and sometimes didn't spike. As you get close to mid cycle, I would use the OPK stick twice a day. That's how I caught mine both times- I was actually surging at night sometimes, and it wasn't clear the next morning. If you go a whole cycle without a surge, then maybe follow up with your OB. I have needed clomid for both of my pregnancies just to help. Also, ultrasounds can see if you have anything getting close to being released and when, although that is more expensive. I would try the OPK's for a month and see. Best of luck! 

Carrie
Sara S.
on 7/13/11 11:42 am
Do you have a link to your chart? Low temps is also a sign of PCOS. If you don't mind I can take a look.

I also use the Clear Blue Easy Fertility Monitor... and love it.
  Sara

Mom to Haleigh born 04/14/10 and Dylan 05/15/12
Nikki M.
on 7/13/11 12:11 pm
Are you using a basal thermometer? A regular one won't work for TTC temping. Also, I know people who take their vaginal temps instead of under their tongue because they are mouth breathers. You could try that. I agree that OPK's are way easier, and can be followed up by temping to see the increase in temp after O. Good luck!

Lapband 8/2007. Revised to VSG 10/2010.... 170 pounds lost!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Crazy* ~Beautiful
on 7/13/11 10:36 pm - East Haven, VT
thank you all, I think I'm going to get some OPK's and see how that goes.

also, I just signed up for FF, so hopefully soon this TTC stuff will start to make sense lol
EstherStar
on 7/14/11 2:20 am
I would recommend you get a copy of Toni Weschler's Taking Charge of Your Fertility to help you understand your temping patterns. Temping is a pain in the rear but it realy tells you A LOT about what's going on with you if you keep track of your Cervical Mucus and Cervical position.

I was temping years ago and quit for a long time but started up again after my accupuncturist was highly suggesting that I start, so I did. I have finally figured out that maybe our timing is not perfect and so that's why it's taking so long to see a BFP. I do agree with the others to get OPK's and use them while temping to get a really good picture of what's going on.

HTH! 
EstherStar

lesliejayne
on 7/14/11 7:39 am - Noxapater, MS
I think most people do agree that OPKs are easier, but I never got a positive one, not even the month I knew I ovulated. Not sure why, but thought I'd throw that in there!
Leslie

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1231 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1317 views