So what's the truth about lunch/ deli meat?

mandajolyn
on 7/29/11 12:51 pm - Tallahassee, FL
I've read a lot about this and seen some say it's ok others say it's not at all! What are your thoughts on lunch/deli meats? It's been a staple in my diet.
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

Amberlee2002
on 7/29/11 2:13 pm - Skowhegan, ME

My Ob said i could have Deli meat that is cut fresh each time i buy it and stay away from all the other stuff over by the hot dogs area ........      She also said Subway was a good place to eat deli meat from .....

Hope this help you some !!!

Amber R   Befor Surgery 379/Surgery day 369/Current 225

Lilypie - (cQ91)

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/11 1:58 am - HI
from google search www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/foodstoavoid.html

Deli Meat:
Deli meats have been known to be contaminated with listeria, which can cause miscarriage. Listeria has the ability to cross the placenta and may infect the baby leading to infection or blood poisoning, which may be life-threatening. If you are pregnant and you are considering eating deli meats, make certain that you reheat the meat until it is steaming .

USAF Wife
on 7/30/11 11:25 pm
I eat deli meat a couple times per week and have my entire pregnancy. I was instructed to microwave it for 15-20 seconds and then I can eat it. Eating hot panini sandwiches from Panera, or other "melts" have been zero issue. I always ask that they throw the meat on the grill before assembling the sandwich. I was specifically told to steer clear of Subway, Firehouse Subs, and other commercial sandwich places because of cross-contamination, no guarantee of employee hygiene practices, or proper refrigeration temps being controlled/managed properly.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Sarah V.
on 8/1/11 3:57 am
It's a no-no but I had a sandwich every couple of weeks without steaming or any of that.  I also ate bacon a few times...sshhhh...don't tell anyone. :)

Lap Band September 2007 / Slip discovered March 2014 after significant regain / Revised to VSG April 29, 2014

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1225 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 852 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1316 views