IV iron infusions

amykic
on 8/25/11 9:29 am - spencer, MA
I am severly anemic and need infusions. Anyone have to do this while pregnant?

Lilypie - (yMzl) 
Lilypie - (G8Gh) Little Angel  8/14/09  ectopic

Melanie S.
on 8/25/11 7:03 pm - Midlothian, TX
 I get iron infusions yearly due to low iron stores (from having an undiagnosed bleeding ulcer for who knows how long) after my RNY.  I did get an infusion while pregnant with my youngest when I was in the beginning of my 3rd trimester.  The doctor would not do it during the second tri due to all the growing baby is doing during that time.  I also got one when she was 10 weeks old to replace any lost during the remainder of pregnancy and delivery.  I was slightly concerned about the benadryl but everything was great andI got a decent nap out of it.
Good luck.

Liz R.
on 8/25/11 8:50 pm - Easton, PA
I didn't have them when I was pregnant with Mia but will have them when I get pregnant with the next baby. I've had about 15 infusions in the last year after having lost a lot of blood in delivery.

They make you feel pretty crummy for a little while so be prepared (I felt like I had the flu for about 24 hours - achy, tired just yuck) LOTS of water helps.

Good luck!
Kimberly Z.
on 8/25/11 11:25 pm - MACEDONIA, OH
I just had iron infusions while pregnant.  I got a total of 10 all toghther. It made me feel so much better. I had absolutely no side effects at all. From what I know it does deend on what kind you get. There is one kind that takes longer to infuse at has more side effects. I got one that I had the 10 over about a month and they only took about 20 mins. I actually got my last one just days before my LO was born.
Kim
Highest /Surgery/Lowest/post preggo
268/242/143/198
Mom to Eli 11-15-2009 and Olivia 7-2-2011
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
imnotknitting
on 8/26/11 3:09 am
I had two while pregnant with Lorelai. It wasn't a big deal and I felt 10x better afterward. I know that some people have an allergic reaction, but it's usually mild. Also, like the last poster said, there are different kinds of infusions, so maybe I got the easy one?

Tina
Mommy to 2 of the most beauiful little girls in the whole universe and still in love with my hubby of 8 years. LIFE IS GOOD!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1224 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 852 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1315 views