re: VBAC

linda.traxler
on 10/5/11 1:35 am - Laßnitzhöhe, Austria
Hi ladies,

has anyone on this board had a successful VBAC??  Was it before or after WLS?  How did it go??
Any and all anecdotes would be helpful here.  I'm trying to make a decision.

The deal is this.  My daughter was born spontaneously (with epidural for pain, I'm a wuss), but she had an apgar of 2, was blue and floppy, was breathing on her own after deep suctioning and a couple of breaths with the ambu bag.  Thank the Lord!  But, it was the most terrifying few minutes of my life.  She was also very little....  5.5 pounds and left me with a grade 2-3 tear.

My son was projected to be between 10 and 11 pounds and that combined with the bad tear I'd had with such a little baby.... doc thought Cesarian would be better.  I agreed, more because of the fear of having another blue baby than fears about size or tears....  

Anyway, after the section I was horribly depressed, had a difficult time bonding well with him and struggled with nursing.  (the pain wasn't really an issue)  Also had wound healing issues (this was pre WLS)

So, now I'm trying to decide what to do.  Family doc says go for the natural birth since I had such a rough time after the section.  OB says do what I want... problem is, I'm not sure what I want.  I've got LOTS of time to decide yet, but if I choose natural will need a refresher course, it's been almost 6 years! 

Any thoughts?  Thanks !
Paula622
on 10/5/11 2:33 am, edited 10/5/11 3:06 am
Can't remember who it was (I know, ubber helpful) but someone on here a few months ago had a successful VBAC.  I'm hoping to have one in the next five weeks (fingers crossed).  My first labor went well, progressed slowly, but everything happened on its own, my water broke on its own, etc.  I pushed for two hours and the baby's head just didn't want to come out.  The doc thought that the head might fit eventually, but was worried that the shoulders would get stuck and recommended a c-section.  By this time I was too tired to fight and I just went with it.  I wish I had advocated more for myself and tried longer, tried different positions once the epidural wore off, etc... but alas, no sense in dwelling in the past.  I knew about a minute into my surgery that I wanted to try a VBAC for the next one if I was a candidate.  My incision type and overall health make me a viable candidate, but the fact that my daughter was only 6 lbs and got stuck makes my doctor a little hesitant about it.  I however, would like a brood of babies and I know that each c-section gets more and more risky whereas if I can deliver vaginally the risks associated with VBACs go down with each baby.  I've done a ton of homework, talked to lots of doctors and midwives and the general consensus is that I'm a good candidate and that the pelvis, position of the baby, size of the baby... etc are all factors that can't/ shouldn't be judged until you're actually in labor.  Many women can have a small baby get stuck and go on to deliver a larger baby naturally... there are just so many factors.  The big thing is that I want to do this all natural.  Most VBAC complications happen once pitocin is introduced so I really need to go into labor on my own.  I don't want an epidural (had one with my first) so that I have more freedom to move around and try various positions which is supposed to greatly help widen the pelvis and get the baby in a better position.  I'm nervous about it all and just really hoping that I go into labor on my own and that everything goes as planned (yes, I'm aware that nothing with babies ever goes exactly as planned).  I will definitely keep everyone updated when the baby comes and let you know how he/she made his/her arrival!  My advice is to do lots of reading and talk to every doctor you can about your particular needs!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

linda.traxler
on 10/5/11 5:19 pm - Laßnitzhöhe, Austria
Thanks Paula, for your reply!!  Will be praying your VBAC is successful.  I just read a story about a woman who had her first baby (6 pounds) get stuck, had a section and went on to a successful VBAC to deliver an 8.5 pounder.  I think it's sometimes, just the way those little ones get themselves positioned in there!!!

WIth me, I know I can do it naturally because my daughter was successful... no pit, or anything, everything was natural except for my waters breaking.  My epidural was awesome it was a 'walking' epidural.  So, I could feel everything from my vagina down, but did not feel the contractions!!

This time, I will try with no epidural, mostly because they are RARELY used here in Austria, docs don't agree with them and the support for natural childbirth from the midwives and doulas is wonderful!!

I wish you all the luck in the world!!!  Keep us posted!
LSUtigerGirl
on 10/5/11 2:58 am
My son was a VBAC in Feb (post WLS).
My first pregnancy was twins, born at 30 wks via emergency csection. I knew with my second pregnancy I wanted to try for a VBAC since it's safer and quicker recovery than having surgery again.

My OB was amazingly supportive, which is VERY important if you're serious about having a VBAC.
My son was born on his due date after 5 hours of labor and 30 minutes of pushing.  He was 8 1/2 lbs and I had no problem with tearing. He was placed on my chest immediately and was nursing like a champ within minutes of birth. It was an amazing experience.

Paula622
on 10/5/11 3:11 am
Great story!  Sounds like an ideal labor and birth!  I'll be happy with anything less than 24 hours of labor (first was 36-40) and pushing that results in the baby coming out (even if it takes forever, lol). 

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

linda.traxler
on 10/5/11 5:21 pm - Laßnitzhöhe, Austria
Ohhhh!!   This is an awesome story!!!!  I have full support of everyone, have done tons of research and think I will go ahead and try!!  At least if it ends in a section I'll have tried.  I think that'll count for something emotionally anyway!!
Becca R.
on 10/5/11 4:02 am - WA
My dr told me that if you do a VBAC they are not allowed to give you pitocin  becuase it could rupture the already weakend scar line. (I say good riddance that stuff is pure evil!!) So I would make sure that you discuss the risks of pitocin with a VBAC. I would like to have one this time around but im not sure if my dr does them after two c/s plus I dont know if Im really prepared for that route since I only know how to have babies the surgical way.
Lexa321
on 10/5/11 4:47 am - weston, FL
i did not have a vbac... but i did have 3 vaginal births.... and ive watched my friends struggle with both unwanted/planned c-sections .. their healing was hard... there was alot of pain... both emotioal and physical... and there were unhappy with the way their bodies failed them... blue babies can happen with either vaginal or c-sections... wound healing sucks... esp with 2 other kids at home... i dont think you should make any decisions now... just wait and see how it progresses... if you go into labor by your self just see what happens but keep in the back of your mind a section might be needed... all deliveries are different... and all babies are different... good luck
linda.traxler
on 10/5/11 5:24 pm - Laßnitzhöhe, Austria
Thanks Lexa!  Not making any decisions yet but leaning toward trying for a VBAC.  The hospital where I'll deliver is the best for emergencies...  NICU is right there adjacent to the maternity wing. I think I got a little bit pushed into the section last time.  I think the convenience to the docs and clinic was more a priority.  And, you're right, babies come out blue at times with sections too!!!  (actually fairly often!)

We'll see how it goes and hope for the best!!

Hope you're enjoying that new little one of yours!
RainyDayWoman
on 10/5/11 12:21 pm - Fridley, MN
I attempted a VBAC with my post-WLS baby, who was born back in December, 5 years after I had his sister via primary c-section.  My second labor stalled out like my first labor, though, and it's probably due to some pelvic anomaly that makes my babies get malpositioned, so I ended up in the OR again.  I actually made the call to get a repeat c-sec after 21 hours of dysfunctional labor.  I NEVER thought I'd have decided on a repeat, but my son had passed meconium and I was ready to see him born, and a Pitocin drip wasn't even helping a bit.

My first c-section was pretty awful.  I was depressed, so many things went wrong (from epidural failure to wound complications - I know how they suck!) and it was overall a very hard experience.  Of course it was an amazing blessing to have my daughter, but I mourned the difficulty of her birth.

My CBAC (post-WLS) was so much easier!  It wasn't an emergency but it was unplanned, but I had a chance to talk with the OBs about what had gone wrong the first time, and it went so smoothly.  I had no wound problems, no depression (well, I ended up with some anxiety when my boy was about 8 months old because he is a rotten sleeper, but I don't think it was at all related to the cesarean), and nursing was much easier than with my daughter.  It sucks that you can't look in a crystal ball, but I guess what I wanted to say is consider your options and make sure you trust your OB and hospital.  I felt safe attempting a VBAC at a very busy, well-regarded local hospital with experienced CNMs.

Anyway, rambling but just wanted to say that every birth and recovery are different.  I found working with a doula very helpful this time around.  I picked one who wasn't only into natural childbirth (I wasn't sure if I wanted pain relief and the doula didn't try to influence me one way or the other) and she helped me talk through my fears and concerns in the weeks before my baby came.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1214 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 845 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1307 views