LABOR: Did your water break or did it start with contractions?

hockeybabe2u
on 10/11/11 2:06 am - Allegan, MI
Last night while I was in bed trying to sleep, I started thinking about labor and wondering if more woman start contracting 1st or if their water breaks.  So I thought I would take a poll to see what happened to the majority of the woman on this board.  With my labors, my 1st 2 children my water broke.  With my last born son, I started with contractions.  So thats 2 water breaking and 1 contracting.......How about you girls, how did your labors start?

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

hockeybabe2u
on 10/11/11 2:16 am - Allegan, MI
I'm sorry, when I made this post, it didn't cross my mind some of you ladies had to be induced or had c-sections.......so please don't be offended and please state if that was your situation as well!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

IamMrsMcDole
on 10/11/11 2:58 am - Anderson, IN
With both I contracted first. With Bella my water was broke at about 5 cm's. With Reese the Dr checked me at 6 cm's and it broke. Both I was at the hospital in labor. My OB told me only a small percentage of women's water break on there own.
Jess

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Dev *.
on 10/11/11 2:59 am - Austin, TX
My water broke first, I didn't start contractions without intervention.

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

Paula622
on 10/11/11 3:24 am
Contractions... my water broke on its own many hours later.  It is more common to go that way.  Any time the water breaks before contractions it is considered a premature rupture of membranes or PROM.  Keep in mind, early contractions can be faint or even painless so having "no contractions" before the water breaking could simply be contractions that were not strong enough to notice.

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

Lexa321
on 10/11/11 3:55 am - weston, FL
1. no clue.. i didnt know what was going on and he just kind of fell out

2. contractions

3. induced... but contractions started with cervidel... and the dr broke my water
Sarah V.
on 10/11/11 4:13 am
I was induced and my doctor broke my water.  Gross.

Lap Band September 2007 / Slip discovered March 2014 after significant regain / Revised to VSG April 29, 2014

SassySamara
on 10/11/11 4:21 am - San Antonio, TX
I lost my mucous plug, the entire thing, had bloody show, and then went to the hospital. I had been having what I THOUGHT were braxton hicks for about 3 days consistently. They broke my water at the hospital when I was about 5 cm.

Lilypie - (8swr) Lilypie - (XAvt)

Jennifer H.
on 10/11/11 4:56 am - stockton, CA
With Andrew I was induced was having contraction after contraction and then my water broke they then took me in for a c section it went on about 6 hours before it all happen.
With girls I had contractions on and off all day I had no clue it was even contractions and when I called labor a deliver and they told me to come in as soon as I got there my water had broke but they say that was from my infection I had.

May my Angles rest in peace.....
Born April 24,2011 Bethanie Marie passed April 25,2011 and Grace Anne passed May 6,2011
pregnancy calendar

teresa79
on 10/11/11 4:57 am, edited 10/11/11 5:00 am - Fowler, IN
At my labor & delivery class the nurse teaching it told us that only 25% of women have their water break on their own prior to contractions. When I went in on January 8th I ran into to her in the halls as they were pushing me into my labor room and I told her guess what??? I was in that 25% group. She laughed. My water broke that morning at 9 a.m. on the dot as I climbed out of bed to assist my 3 yr. old son on the toilet because he was yelling down the hall, "I pooped!" I thought I peed myself, but then I saw what looked like vernix all over my undies. When I wiped I had my bloody show as well. Sorry T.M.I. I started cramping about 15 minutes later and then they starting becoming more painful about 2 hours after that. We made it to the hospital 2 hours later and I was only 1 cm so they wanted to try the balloon cath in my cervix first before using any inducing drugs to get me to 4 cm. It worked and less than an hour later I was at 4. Waited until 7 cm and then got my epi. My labor was good and I delivered Luciana a little over 14 hours later from the time my water broke at 9 a.m. =)
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers 
Lilypie Maternity tickers
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1225 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 852 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1316 views