Feeling Like a Failure

shrinkingarmywife77
on 11/1/11 10:50 pm - Lyman, SC
So, my baby boy is almost five months old and still EBF...I've lost 33 lbs since having him but am feeling like a complete RNY failure at this point...I feel like I have fallen so far off the eating correctly wagon that I don't even know where to start...my dietician was no help with what to eat while nursing and I will be honest and say that I pretty much eat whatever I want most days and most days don't care and that's why I feel like such a failure.  I know better than this but can't find my way back to that place where healthy eating is.  I want to know if it's normal to still be able to eat more while nursing, cause I feel like my pouch doesn't even work anymore...I feel like I eat like a regular person and should I be able to at this point?  I still have about 12 lbs to lose and I am feeling down on myself and need encouragement.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
hockeybabe2u
on 11/2/11 12:09 am - Allegan, MI
AWWWW sweetie, You are NOT a failure! You absoultely need to eat more while nursing! You have done GREAT with your weight loss so far and 12lbs above your pre-pregnancy weight after having a baby is not that much! I can tell you the further your out from weight loss surgery, the more you will be able to eat. I managed to maintain my weight loss (before having post-op babies) by watching my portion sizes and not by what I was eating...because I will be honest, I don't always make the best food choices! That being said, I found myself 20lbs above my pre-pregnancy weight with my last pregnancy 1.5 years after he was born. I lost that weight (before getting pregnant with my baby that was just born) by increasing my water tremedously and watching my portion sizes. Once I had that under control, I started cutting out the sweets, fatty foods, diet pop and other things that weren't good for me. After that, I started drinking protein shakes and bars and made protein top priority and then finally I started an exercise program and lost the weight in 4-5 months. I suggest you make small changes at a time and don't go on a "diet" while nursing....you will need those extra calories. Increasing your protein while still eating some fruits, veggies and whole carbs will help to continue your milk supply and give you and baby nurishment. If you increase your water and protein intake and try to get some form of exercise in, I'm sure the weight will start coming off! Keep your chin up girl, you can do this and you are NOT a failure!!!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

Lianne C.
on 11/2/11 3:48 am - Garden City, MI
You are not alone! Some women do not lose weight while nursing! I am one of them! You are doing great to only have 12 lbs to go. I still have 40 to go, and Halloween was no help at all! The kids brought in all this candy and I seem to grab a piece and eat it before I realize I did it! I want it out of the house so bad! I did start a liquid diet because I was having issues with a sharp pain where my "lower stomach" is so my surgeon put me on one for a few days. I exercised and did only protein shakes and water for that time, and I did not lose. My sister who has been skinny her whole life, cannot lose the baby weight while nursing either. I think you will be just fine and I am hoping I will too!
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
CMR2595
on 11/2/11 5:16 am - CT
I so hear you.....I just went for my 3 year post op visit, 1st visit after having my DD 13 weeks ago...and he wasn't happy.  I basically have lost NONE of my pregnancy weight.  I gained about 35 pounds during the pregnancy and all total I have lost about 5 pounds.  So i have 30 to lose, the surgeon basically said to me, well you were normal weight pre-preg so you should have lost it all by now!  YEAH! 

I am in the same boat, I need to refocus on my eating and ramp up the water and protein.  Carbs are my enemy again!   And WHO has time to exercise, I can't even find time to put on clothes and shower some days....ugh! 

Oh and the kicker to this is I started breastfeeding and now I am not...and the dr was like well that really helps...REALLY....well if I had a third arm and another body, I could get it all done in a day, but SOMETHING had to give in my life and breastfeeding/pumping at work was the one thing I had to minimize...Plus, i had a breast lift 2 years ago and I think that it diminished my milk supply so I could never satisify the baby...I did my best....

Hugs,
Courtney
HW/SW/CW/GW: 301/298/179/154
Just had a baby....working off 25 lbs!
Ralph Z.
on 11/2/11 3:24 pm
Hello my love,
 am sorry t hear you feeling this way - 12 is minute in the big scheme of what we've been through, also, you do need to eat when bFing . You will find your way back, and it will be soon.

You are NOT a failure x -
Becky x

shrinkingarmywife77
on 11/2/11 8:36 pm - Lyman, SC
Thank you so much ladies for your encouragement..it's exactly what I needed and it helps to know that I'm not alone in feeling this way.  I need to concentrate on enjoying my sweet baby boy and worry about the weight when I wean him next year.  This time will go by so fast and I don't want to regret any of it by harping on the negative.  Thank you all for reminding me of this!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
crystal dewdrops
on 11/2/11 10:46 pm - Australia
Hi

I didnt have RNY, I had the sleeve and I eat really really bad. I'm talking fairy floss, 1.7litres of coke per day, cookies, crisps, etc...... Now that Christmas is around the corner gingerbread with the icing is onboard. I haven't lost anything in the past 6 weeks and the MACH nurse was happy I gained weight . I still have atleast 22lbs to go to get to a 'normal' BMI.

If I don't eat this food my milk drops right down. If my weight just stays where it's at, once Ellie is weaned next year I will go back to focusing on me.

Your not alone.

Best wishes
Crystal
SW 113.3kg/249.8lbs (BMI 47.8)
VSG 02/24/10 with Dr Mosse
Weight lost pre-op 9.3kg/20.5lbs.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1225 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 852 views