Should I be worried about NOT gaining weight?

mandajolyn
on 11/8/11 12:43 pm - Tallahassee, FL
OK, I never thought I'd be asking this, or needing to ask this but here goes! Had my 24 week/6 month prenatal appointment today and was asked if I'm eating and keeping food down because I'm down another 2lbs since the last visit! I lost 10lbs the first trimester down, gained a few and have lost the few I gained! I was 236 when I got pregnant, dropped to 226, then gained to 232 which has been where I've been at every visit since, well today I'm 230! My concern is at this point shouldn't I be putting on a little more weight? I'm eating, believe me I'm eating! Still nauseous and got past the two weeks of not being able to keep much of anything down. I take Zofran to help the nausea. Now I know with WLS patients a loss in the beginning is normal and most don't start really gaining anything till 6 months or so. My concern is getting enough to my son so he's able to have healthy nutrition! I'm eating all damn day long, feel like I'm never not eating! Anything I can do/add to put on some pounds *cringe*? From the get go I knew I'd need to gain weight at some point and I'm ok with that. I didn't think I'd be seeking out or needing to seek out ways to gain because I'm not! It'll come off, I need to make sure I'm gaining something, not losing for him to be as healthy as possible! She was a little concerned, not overly but told me to try to eat more to see if that helps. She said with WLS patients it can go either way but a lot of those who do add more into their diets actually lose more weight!
Any ideas? Thoughts? Things that have worked? He's doing fine, I just worry that my mal absorbing foods means he's not getting what he needs! After the first trimester weight loss and going back into the 230s it's been consistent, no ups or downs till now. I know it's not a huge number but I figured at this point I'd be putting on a bit more weight.
It feels odd to be worried and not extatic to not be gaining any weight.
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

Lexa321
on 11/8/11 8:40 pm - weston, FL
no.. esp since you still have some weight- you will be fine... i gained 0 at 39 weeks :)
(deactivated member)
on 11/8/11 8:52 pm - Woodbridge, VA
If you're overweight to begin with, you don't need to gain as much (if any) weight and could possibly even end up having lost weight throughout the pregnancy. As long as ultrasounds show that the baby is growing fine, then don't worry about it.

I lost about 12 pounds in my first trimester. I'm now 20 weeks and 1 day along, and I still haven't regained all of that, so I still weigh less today than when I found out I was pregnant. I started in the mid- to upper 180s, got down to 175, and am now in the low 180s. My OB said she will do some extra growth scans later on to make sure baby is growing since they won't be able to judge it much by MY weight/size.

Your baby will take from YOU what he needs. If you're worried about nutrition, have some labs run to make sure your levels are all good (should be doing this anyway). Address any abnormal deficiencies. Other than that, stop worrying!
nightof
on 11/10/11 3:17 am
Don't worry too much.  I weighed the same the day I had my daughter as the day I found out I was pregnant and she was healthy and large for her gestation age which was 35 weeks.  I think it's just because of the weight you have left and baby takes all they need.
mandajolyn
on 11/10/11 3:36 am - Tallahassee, FL
Thanks! I'm getting bigger but it's all belly, lol
Good point about since I have extra weight still he'll take what he needs. I'm having labs drawn this coming week and have my glucose test at 28 weeks.
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

summerlove1981
on 11/17/11 10:38 am - Cambridge , Canada
I dont think its anything to worry about. I am 32 weeks along in my pregnancy and have gone up and down in weight since the begining. My doctor said as long as the baby is getting bigger everything is fine and you can tell by my tummy the baby has had no problems in the growth department lol Just last week I was there and lost 4 lbs I have now gained 15lbs total through my whole pregnancy I understand your worry I was worried as well until the doctor told me everything is fine. Good luck to you through the rest of your pregnancy
RainyDayWoman
on 11/18/11 8:46 am - Fridley, MN
I would not worry about it if I were you.  I was still obese when I got pregnant and I ended up down a few pounds and barely gained even at the end.  Baby was a fine size and he's super smart and perfect.  Just try to eat mainly protein and healthy stuff and let your OB do extra growth scans if she is concerned.  It'll be a nice little bonus when you deliver your baby and end up a few pounds lighter than when you conceived.
faithesmommy
on 11/18/11 7:43 pm

I just this last week gained 1 lb ...

I'm currently 37 weeks. Since finding out i was pregnant i have lost about 35 lbs so a 1 lb gain isn't really a "gain" i guess.

I've had growth ultrasounds every 4 weeks since 20 weeks and baby has continued a good growth trend, she continues to hang out in about the 35th percentile for weight. At 36 weeks she was estimated to be just under 6 lbs which is on track to be about the same size as my first daughter.

With the malabsorption and improved diet, and considering you still have weight to lose I would saying losing is TOTALLY normal. Sounds like your provider just may not totally understand WLS.

Good Luck! 

~ Sarah ~

wife to John 8/17/02 & mom to Faith 7/16/06 & SURPRISE DS Baby Girl due 12/8/11

HW/CW/GW 379/243/199  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1213 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 845 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1307 views