Breastfeeding experiences?

Jessica L.
on 11/13/11 8:07 am - Cincinnati, OH
RNY on 04/02/07 with
 Hi All - I haven't posted here before, but used to post a lot on the RNY board. Myself and another post-op were wondering about breastfeeding after RNY. I am 7 months preggo and she just gave birth but never produced colostrum or milk. 

Have any of you breastfed or tried to BF post-RNY? What was your experience? Some particulars I am thinking about are fat content of the milk (since we malabsorb) and if you were able to breastfeed as a first time mom post-op (my theory is that if you've BF'ed pre-op, the body may "remember" and it could be easier? - I don't know if that's true, just a theory..)

Any experiences would be helpful to hear! Please and thank you :)
Lianne C.
on 11/13/11 10:33 am - Garden City, MI
I breastfed before and after RNY. I have a better supply this time around than I did with the 2 pre op babies. Only thing is, my body is holding on the the baby weight. Other than that, I have EBF this one. I think everyone is different though, just like every pregnancy is different!
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
IamMrsMcDole
on 11/13/11 5:26 pm - Anderson, IN
I EBF my daughter who is now almost 2 for one full year. Now I am EBF my 2 month old. I have never had to use formula. I had a great supply with my first and now with my second.
Jessica

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

imnotknitting
on 11/13/11 9:50 pm
I was able to successfully BF my daughter post-WLS. I only have one daughter ****il March) so I am not sure your theory works (0:

Also, the fat content of my milk was 100% awesome. My daughter grew very well on my milk. I used to say I was producing half & half. On the other hand a girl I work with who has not had WLS, produced "skim" milk so was unable to BF successfully without supplementing. So, I am not sure WLS has a huge affect on our ability to BF.

Good luck!

Tina
Mommy to 2 of the most beauiful little girls in the whole universe and still in love with my hubby of 8 years. LIFE IS GOOD!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1214 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 845 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1307 views