Increased occurance of post ops needing C-section....what was your exp?

mandajolyn
on 1/30/12 3:11 am - Tallahassee, FL
So I was reading something yesterday and had heard something about there being an increased chance of C-section with post WLS women. Not so much in planned ones, but somethings about labor not progressing like it should and C-section being needed. I'm planning on vaginal birth and right now there's no indication I wouldn't be able to deliver him vaginally but I wanted to get input from post ops who've had babies! 
Is there any truth to this? What would be the reason post op women are more prone to needing a C-Section?
If it happens it happens and I'm prepared for that but I'm curious! 
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

apryldee
on 1/30/12 4:21 am - houston, TX
I had a c-section, but this was due to my IUGR baby no longer moving like she was supposed to as well as her heartbeat dropping everytime I had contrations so I didnt even try for an inducement. I also had no fluid left around my baby. She was born 3 weeks early. I dont think it had anything to do with my rny.

SW 280/ SW 266/ PPW 175/ CW 185

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal picture

Becca R.
on 1/30/12 4:51 am - WA
I have to have a c-section but its becuase I already had 2 and my OB doesnt do VBACS after the 2nd time.. Im not sure why someone would say RNYers have a higher C/S rate other than it may be due to other complications like super low vitamin levels or gestational diabetes that are affection the baby enough to force a emergency CS.. so idk..
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
   Lilypie First Birthday tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
Paula622
on 1/30/12 5:07 am
I had a c-section with my first baby, pre-op and a vaginal birth (with a very easy, much faster labor) for my second baby, post-op.  Good luck!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

linda.traxler
on 1/30/12 4:06 pm - Laßnitzhöhe, Austria
Manda, what was the article that you read?  I'd like to read it.
kanesmom
on 1/31/12 6:09 am
RNY on 08/16/05 with
I've only had one baby (5 years after RNY). I have to laught at "about labor not progressing like it should". Gage was in such a hurry to get here, we almost didn't make it to the hospital! Between me feeling contractions and him being born was about 4 hours total!

I don't know why there would be any reason for more c-sections....

Kina

RNY 08/16/05
Weight day of surgery 222
Lost 100 pounds in about 10 months

Pre-pregnancy weight 126
Delivery day weight 166
Currently 118
Baby Gage born 11/02/10
Lexa321
on 1/31/12 6:39 am - weston, FL
3 post op... all vag
plusizedbarbie
on 1/31/12 8:31 am - Manahawkin, NJ
I dont believe this is true about WLS patients.  I believe it's true about the state of the country now a days.  the c-section rate in my state is 50% and in my hospital it is 75%.  Things that will stall your labor and stress your baby have nothing to do with our surgeries, has to do with pitocin, induction and all that fun stuff.  If you want a vaginal birth, I would stay away from anything artificial to "help" labor, because thats when ALL my problems started, I was fine before I got pitocin and an epidural.
MY WLS RECIPE BLOG!  -- Check it out http://plusizedbarbie.blogspot.com/

Lilypie - (vbmr)    Lilypie - (fb9N)

Changed for good
                            ...september 17, 2007...

mandajolyn
on 1/31/12 9:54 am - Tallahassee, FL
It was mentioned in a group I'm in and a site about pregnancy after wls said there was a study done in 04 but they couldn't figure out why or how it was connected. I'm not at my computer but when I am I will look it up.
I talked to my midwife about it and she said she's seen it but not in most of the post wls deliveries. Both of the hospitals here and all the OBs in this town have the lowest c section % in FL compared to areas of south FL that have up to 75% C Section rate. She was telling me that there are to many OBs who just want to rush into it and for some reason there's an increase in women asking for one thinking it would be easier than laboring and delivering vaginally. My OB said they won't stop baby from coming after 37 weeks (unless they have to) but won't induce before 39/40 unless there's urgent need to get baby delivered.
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

kwinkleman
on 2/2/12 4:30 am - FL
I had a c-section with my son pre-op and then had surgery a year ago this past November.  My OBGYN told me that due to the extensive scar tissue she was going to schedule me for another c-section with this baby....which is fine with me.  She mentioned something about the pushing and pressure and size of a baby could rip any scar tissue and we could physically bleed out.  I think it is better to be safe than sorry so I am all for the c-section with this baby.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1232 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1318 views