Sometimes it's good to take your own advice. (long)

linda.traxler
on 2/6/12 6:05 pm - Laßnitzhöhe, Austria
So, when I was practicing as an NP I always told my patients when something didn't feel right with a provider to be their own and best patient advocate.  Now I have experience in doing so.  My obstetrician (is a private doctor which means here that we pay basically out of pocket for her and she's supposedly among the best.)

First, she wouldn't listen to me about the GTT and the likelihood of false positive.  Then she goes on to list on my diagnoses that I have gestational diabetes (even though fasting and 2hour and HgA1C and all my post prandial tests have been NORMAL).  She never took any inititive to find out or review physiological changes that occur post RNY.  And yesterday we went for an appointment and she says the Ultrasound conditions were poor and she wasn't sure about the numbers she was getting.  Sooooo she basically estimated.  Well, that put baby in the 20th percentile (he started in 75th)  So, I'm freaking out because I'm sure there's something wrong here.  I'm 5'10 and hubby is 6'.  Last baby was 9 pounds at birth.

Anyway,  I went  the hospital clinic today.  (I've been there once before for blood pressure problems)  This is a clinic where the general population goes.  Well, the care was exceptional.  We did a Non stress test.... all is ok.  Weight is predicted to be at 6lb 4 oz (75th percentile)  everything is ok.  Doc agreed with me, I DO NOT have gestational diabetes.

Long story short.  You don't always get what you pay for and BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE ladies!!!

WIshing you all the best!!
Linda
TraceyC
on 2/6/12 9:56 pm - DFW, TX
(sigh) That's rough! SOOO glad you decided to go to the clinic. So now what? Are you staying with the clinic or going back to your OB? That's got to be a hard decision too. Good luck!!

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. Walt Disney 
http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10728;28/st/20110112/n/Blake/dt/-1/k/3fb3/s-age.png">>

Nikki M.
on 2/7/12 1:14 am
Good for you Linda for getting a second oppinion. Thanks for the good advice :)

Lapband 8/2007. Revised to VSG 10/2010.... 170 pounds lost!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

linda.traxler
on 2/7/12 1:23 am - Laßnitzhöhe, Austria
Sooooo not going back!  Will stay at the clinic!  We are so lucky here in Austria to have quality nationalized health care.  It makes me feel good that every average Joe is getting this quality of care at this clinic!!!
Jennifer H.
on 2/7/12 4:45 am - stockton, CA
Do whats best for y ou and that baby and sounds like you did.Your almost there!
Thats what I love about seeing my high risk and reguklar ob two different dr and I have one to always check.

May my Angles rest in peace.....
Born April 24,2011 Bethanie Marie passed April 25,2011 and Grace Anne passed May 6,2011
pregnancy calendar

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1231 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 855 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1317 views