our birth story!

plusizedbarbie
on 2/14/12 10:04 am - Manahawkin, NJ

I had originally thought our birth story would be a typical repeat c-section story.  I was scheduled for Feb 10, I had my last OB appt Wednesday Feb 8.  I told my midwife again about the tons of contractions I had been feeling for weeks.  She checked me, I had made no progress, his head was down but that was about it.  So we planned on the 10th.  We had made plans for the next day, Thursday the 9th, to pack our bags, get the last minute things in order.  We had planned to wake up that morning and have blueberry pancakes with Sage and I was going to make a nice dinner.  Wednesday night I had no contractions at all.  I actually felt decent, so I vacuumed the house and mopped the floors.  Russ and I stayed up later than usual watching storage wars. We fell asleep around 1am.  At 1:35 am I woke up, a split second later, laying in bed my water broke.  I was SO scared.  I thought, “maybe it was pee"  I stood up and more gushed out.  I went into the bathroom and put on new pants, I went into the room and said “Umm I think my water broke"  Russ flung out of bed lol.  I was crying and started packing frantically, I don’t know why I was so scared, I guess it’s because I knew a baby was coming in a few hours.  I called my mom and told her to come over to stay with Sage, she thought I was kidding, she had just laid down after working 12 hours that day.  It was snowing and cold so I knew it would take her at least 45 minutes to get o our house.  I called labor and delivery and told them my water had broke and they told me to come in.  Then the contractions started.  And I mean, they were SO painful, I had been in active labor with Sage on pitocin and the contractions were worse this time.  They were coming 3-5 minutes apart for 60 seconds, and mostly in my back.  I put a heating pad on and we waited for my mom.  I didn’t even know what I had packed I had done it so fast. 

My mom finally got there at 2:30.  We left for the hospital.  It was the longest 30 minute drive of my life I was in so much pain.  We got to the ER entrance because the main entrance was closed.  There was NO one in the ER and we couldn’t get through to the rest of the hospital without someone buzzing us in.  I went to the bathroom while Russ waited for someone to come.  I was doubled over in pain.  Finally a L&D nurse came down and got us.  I was taken to a room, hooked up to a monitor and they checked for fluid.  She checked my cervix, I was at a 2.  The amniotic fluid test strip came up “kind of positive" as the nurse put it.  I said believe me I know my water broke.  She said it prob had but not the full bag of water.  Well I stood up two seconds later and the rest came out.  I was bleeding a good amount but knew bleeding and discharge was “normal" so I didn’t mention it.  So I was admitted and they started to prep me for my c-section.  The worst part was the hour it took to get my IV in.  4 people had tried.  I was stuck 12 times and they blew EVERY vein in my arm.  The OB had to eventually come in and after the second try got one in my hand.  That was the only time I cried like a baby, that whole process actually took longer than the entire c-section from start to finish.

I was most nervous about the spinal.  I was terrified and Russ wasn’t allowed in.  The nurse held onto me and he got the spinal in in under 30 seconds.  It was the easiest thing ever.  I felt a little nauseous so they gave me meds, and in less than 10 minutes I was completely numb and Russ came in.  They started the incision at 6:20.  Elliot (still nameless then) was born at 6:25.  About one minute before he came out the surgeon, Dr. Sze said to me “Ok Karen, your uterus has ruptured, I didn’t even cut into it and it ripped open.  Your uterus is paper thin near the bottom.  You cannot have any more kids.  5 more minutes this would have been very bad."  He asked if I wanted my tubes tied but I said no.  I couldn’t deal with making that decision in seconds.  Elliot came out and was brought to me right away.  He got a 10 on the apgar, the kid literally came out bright red.  He weighed 7 lbs 15 ounces, 20 inches long.  I was closed back up in no time but was starting to realize that this was my LAST baby.  If I attempted to have another my OB told me I would be on bedrest from day one and super high risk.  My uterus could rupture at any time and the baby and I could die.  This is for sure not something I am willing to risk.  I was later informed that usually with a uterine rupture, they give you a hysterectomy on the spot, but since he got in just as the uterus was splitting apart that they didn’t do it.  I had originally intended to have a VBAC this pregnancy, had I tried to give birth vaginally, it would have been catastrophic. 

I had to go to recovery for an hour before I got to my room.  I got to breastfeed Elliot (still nameless) right away and we got to spend alone time with him before everyone came to see him.  We tossed around names then we decided.  We got to my room, my cousin came to see him, then tons of visitors the rest of the day.  I felt a thousand times better than the first time.  They had put pain meds into the spinal so I was in no pain for the first day and night.  I was exhausted, Russ and I hadn’t slept in over 24 hours so we were so tired but happy.  Sage came to see us, she was upset that day and just wanted her grandmas.  She looked at Elliot and said “ewwww" LOL. The next day she was MUCH better and kissed and hugged him and held him!  She is still adjusting and sometimes she wants to play with him and other times she just ignores him.  She’s more upset I can’t pick her up.

Right now we are exclusively breastfeeding and so far so good.  The first night home he did not sleep at all.  Last night he slept and even had a 6 hour stretch of sleep!  We are all still adjusting but I am in love with this little guy.  2 is way more challenging than one for sure but once things calm down and it becomes more routine it will be ok.  I was so nervous to have a boy, but he is awesome and I cannot imagine him being a girl right now.

I have my 2 babies, my girl and my boy.  I am happy but this is not the way I wanted it to be.  I wanted to decide when our family was complete but now we have had our decision made for us.  I am glad everyone is happy and healthy.  I am feeling good, Sage is getting better each day and Elliot is perfect.  There is a reason for everything.  This has been such a difficult pregnancy, and now we can attribute a lot of my early contractions and labor as a sign things were NOT right.  So please listen to your body.  For anyone considering a VBAC, please hear me, a healthy baby and mommy is SO much more important than how the baby is born!  I felt like a failure for months after my first c-section, my midwife and OB talked me out of a VBAC and I am SO glad they did.  Things can happen, but I am so lucky because this could have been so much worse.

MY WLS RECIPE BLOG!  -- Check it out http://plusizedbarbie.blogspot.com/

Lilypie - (vbmr)    Lilypie - (fb9N)

Changed for good
                            ...september 17, 2007...

laurawilson25
on 2/14/12 11:10 am - Groves, TX
 Wow! Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad things worked out for you and the baby!

Amelia born full term May 15, 2012. 7 lbs, 2 oz. 11 lbs left to lose to make pre-baby weight.

And what does the LORD require of you?; To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. 
Micah 6:8  
Paula622
on 2/14/12 11:18 am
What a story!  So glad that everyone is OK!  I wish they stressed more stories like this when making the decision to do a FIRST c-section!  I really felt (in hindsight) like my first c-section could have been avoided with less interventions.  I was so adamant about trying a VBAC because I want many children and I was worried that having repeated c-sections would increase my risk of complications like yours, putting an end to my days of babies.  I really wish that doctors stressed the real risk of initial c-sections more, they act like it is so safe.  I understand that there are plenty of times when a c-section can be life saving, I just think they are done too often when they are not really needed. 

Anyway, I'm so glad that everyone is OK, and that you have your perfect little man!  Isn't it amazing how quickly they capture your heart!?  Your attitude in all of this is wonderful. 

I hope that Sage is being a good little helper, and that she is adjusting to having a new little one around! 

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

mandajolyn
on 2/14/12 12:39 pm - Tallahassee, FL
 Wow! What a story! I'm SO glad they got you in and delivered quickly! Everything happens for a reason and you have two perfect, beautiful children! They'll be best friends! 
Im beyond happy you're both ok, healthy and everyone's home and doing well! Makes me super excited to meet my lil guy!! 
You and Russ make adorable babies! Congrats on the new love of your life!! 
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

linda.traxler
on 2/14/12 4:10 pm - Laßnitzhöhe, Austria
Karen,

First, congratulations on such a beautiful boy!  What an experience!!  2nd...  do they know why the uterus started to rupture??  Was in only because of the previous section??    I'm still trying to decide VBAC or repeat section (have deliverd 1 vag. and 1 by section)  Any thoughts??

What a way to have decisions made for you!!!  Wow!  Thank goodness that you're ok and baby is ok!!

Blessings to you all!
Linda
nkjanes78
on 2/14/12 6:45 pm - Norfolk, VA
 Congratulations Karen  , you have such a beautiful family  

hockeybabe2u
on 2/14/12 11:01 pm - Allegan, MI
Your son is absoutley precious! Sorry the decision has been made for you on whether you have more kids are not! I'm happy to hear everything turned out good when otherwise could have turned out badly! Your truely blessed with a boy and girl!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

tamiissunshine
on 2/15/12 12:05 am - Halsey, OR
Wow! I am glad that you and Elliot are ok. That is scary with a rupture like that! Elliot is super cute and I'm glad Sage is coming around. Congrats!
Tami   "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me!" Philippians 4:13
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

reianondillard
on 2/15/12 2:21 am
Wow what a story I am so glad you are both ok He is adorable congrats!!
apryldee
on 2/16/12 6:02 am - houston, TX
congrats mama. You have a beutiful family. its stories like this why my mom said its safer to have a repeat c-section then to risk it for a vback. My moms a nurse and has seen so much happen with the risks of vbacks. glad u and baby are fine.

SW 280/ SW 266/ PPW 175/ CW 185

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal picture

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1214 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 845 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1307 views