gastroschsis?

Jessie72
on 4/27/12 4:05 pm - CA
I have my RNY 2 year ago on April 26Th I am almost 15 weeks and found out my baby has

Gastroschisis
represents a congenital defect characterized by a defect in the anterior abdominal wall through which the abdominal contents freely protrude. There is no overlying sac and the size of the defect is usually less than 4 cm. The abdominal wall defect is located at the junction of the umbilicus and normal skin, and is almost always to the right of the umbilicus.

has any one dealt with this issue?
one of the causes is said to be vitamin deficiency and Mal nutrition.
Kokonut
on 4/28/12 2:07 am
So sorry to hear that :( BUT try to not get too stressed or worried. That condition is essentially a hernia. Many babies are born with them and do just fine, although many do need surgery. I don't know anyone who didn't have great success with the surgery though.

I'm sure your doctors will keep a close watch on your baby and get you set up with the right treatment. I'm sure you know this...but I would make sure my vitamin/mineral levels are good and that I eat high quality food.( this is hard for me because I puke my guts out for most of the pregnancy) I also want to let you know that this can happen to any momma and any baby, not just WLS affected people.

Highest Weight Ever:312 StartW:272 CW:164 SW:253 GW:180  Height 5'10"

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/12 1:24 am - HI
My son had one and it corrected itself. He will be 1 on May 13th and all is good.

Good luck!
LinseyM
on 5/8/12 2:50 am - CA
My best friends son was born with this condition and is doing great now. When she found out we did a lot of research to find out why, and never heard about the vitamin deficiency and Mal nutrition. Wish her MD would have mentioned that, but I know she was always diligent about her vitamins and diet (she was not a WLS patient though). I will keep you in my thoughts and hope for a fast recovery.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1231 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 855 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1317 views