TWINS!!!

LittleMissSunshine
on 5/7/12 8:22 am
Just found out on Thursday at my 1st OB appointment... we're expecting twins.  I was concerned before about getting in enough nutrients, now I'm a mess.  I'm barely able to manage 1800-2000 calories a day, I'm going to have to get in 2600?!?!

Anyone have twins post-VSG?  Any advice?

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

kristeninoc
on 5/7/12 8:52 am - Santa Ana, CA
Oh Wow... No advice here, I am just learning but HUGE Congrats!! That is so exciting!!

Paige V.
on 5/7/12 10:23 am - Gainesville, FL
wow, that is a big fear of mine lol!! Congrats to you though! 

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

Nikki M.
on 5/7/12 2:35 pm
Aww congrats!
Try to eat more calorie dense foods? Butter your toast, eat peanut butter and nuts, full fat cheese etc. I can easily get in more calories by doing that sort of thing. I will miss it when I'm no longer pregnant!

Lapband 8/2007. Revised to VSG 10/2010.... 170 pounds lost!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

LittleMissSunshine
on 5/7/12 4:11 pm
I did some poking around and found these tips, thought I'd share for anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation and stumbles upon this thread:

http://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/healthy_ways_to_increase _calories_and_protein/

Today I managed to get in 132g of protein and 2100 calories, so hopefully following some of the suggestions above and in this link will get me there :).

windowsdown
on 5/7/12 11:52 pm
RNY on 11/02/10 with
Thanks for the link and congrats on the twins!
L2D
on 5/8/12 3:29 am - Canada
Congrats!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

(deactivated member)
on 5/8/12 6:40 am - Woodbridge, VA
I would really not worry as much about the actual number of calories. Just eat healthy and eat when you're hungry. I think a lot of us (WLS or no) put way too much emphasis/focus on calories. I never counted a single calorie throughout my pregnancy and had a perfectly healthy baby who was a perfectly normal weight. Baby will take what it needs from you, so just focus on being healthy.
LittleMissSunshine
on 5/8/12 6:46 am
Right, but I think I really need to be congnizant of the calories because if I don't, I typically will only hit around 1600 in a day and with twins, you're supposed to take in about 2600.  Given that there's a link between pre-term labor and lower birth weights, I want to keep these guys in the oven as long as possible!

On the upside, I met with my surgeon today and told him the news.  He said there are really no concerns with VSG patients because we don't have the malabsorption issues RNY patients do, as long as I'm hitting my protein and calorie goals, the babies will be fine. He essentially wished me well and said I should make my next appointment after I deliver just to do a quick follow up.  It definitely put my mind at ease that he didn't seem at all concerned that it was twins :).

Jennifer H.
on 5/10/12 4:09 pm - stockton, CA
I had twins back in APril of 2011............take in normal amount for you and one baby and extra 200 if you can.EAt every two hours you will get plenty.Mine were growing right on time.I did have them at 25 weeks born alive but they were sick due to infection and for 25 weekers they were the right size you will be just fine best wishes to you and congrats!

May my Angles rest in peace.....
Born April 24,2011 Bethanie Marie passed April 25,2011 and Grace Anne passed May 6,2011
pregnancy calendar

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1232 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1318 views