Hope this is ok to post here - period problems

kam0520
on 5/6/12 11:10 pm - AL
I am 3 months post op, and since surgery my hormones are apparently out of control.  A little history:  I have only 1 ovary, no tubes thanks to cysts.  My periods were horrible in high school and most of my adult life I have been on Depo or Aygestin to just completely stop my periods. 

The meds I used pre-op don't seem to work anymore so my doc put me on a birthcontrol.  The first didn't work (Ortho-Cyclen) and so I'm staring my second (Desogen).  My periods are insane.  I have bled more days than not in the last month.  I am home now from work because they are so heavy I literally can not function unless I am close to a restroom.  I think I took 6 showers over the weekend.  (I'm trying not to be too graphic)  I had to file FMLA today because I have lost so much work time.  I am at my whits end.  Someone please tell me I am not alone in this after surgery.  I have spent most of the weekend just boohooing because of all of this.  My doctor is usually open to any suggestions I can bring as far as medication goes.  What has worked for you guys post-op?  Has anyone dealt with this?  I am at my whits end. 

www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
Paula622
on 5/6/12 11:37 pm
Is pregnancy off the table for you?  If so, my sister had an ablation done where they basically scarred the inside of her uterus in order to stop it from bleeding.  She was having similar problems after having kids and now she doesn't have periods anymore.  The only thing is if you're planning on having kids at any point in the future (IVF?)  then you can't have this done. 

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

kam0520
on 5/6/12 11:44 pm - AL
The only way we can get pregnant is IVF.  That's about 50% of the reason behind having VSG, to get to a healthy weight for IVF.  

I've had a D&C before, and I'm afraid I'm heading for that again.  As soon as we can do IVF we will, and as soon as we either have a baby or find out for sure it's not going to happen, I will have a full hysterectomy.  

Nikki M.
on 5/7/12 2:45 pm
That sounds pretty awful! I'm so sorry you are going through such awful cycles :(
I don't have any advice for you, but my heart goes out to you. I only have one tube myself due to an ectopic pregnancy. I really hope your doctor is able to figure out a way to manage your bleeding, and that you have a successful IVF cycle when you're ready for it :)

Lapband 8/2007. Revised to VSG 10/2010.... 170 pounds lost!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

kam0520
on 5/8/12 11:23 pm - AL
Thanks!  I am scheduled for a D&C on Friday, so he hopes that this will help!  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1214 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 845 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1307 views