Question about pregancy post op

K B.
on 5/16/12 2:24 am
RNY on 04/30/12
Hi Everyone,

I am almost 3 weeks post op from RNY and I have a couple questions. I am not trying to get pregnant this soon out, but actually trying to prevent it. I am in a commited relationship, but I am not ready to have kids just yet. I was taking birth control pre-op and was very successful in not getting pregnant. Now since surgery it is suggested bc does not always work. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? Anyone here have experience with not getting pregnant until about 2 years post op? Any advice would be great!

onlyoneboy
on 5/16/12 2:39 am - St. Paul Park, MN
Go for an IUD.

reianondillard
on 5/16/12 7:06 am
I had an IUD until I was ready to start trying.
megaflu
on 5/16/12 5:02 pm - Bedford, PA
If you have Dr.'s like we do in my area and don't have kids, you may not have much luck talking them into IUDs.  If you can't find one that will put in an IUD, or don't want some of the risks of IUDs, the Nuvaring is a decent choice.  It is inserted and avoids the digestive track. 
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
hockeybabe2u
on 5/16/12 9:59 pm - Allegan, MI
I was over 4 years out from RNY when I got pregnant with my 1st post-op baby. For a few years I was taking YAZ which prevented pregnancy. But I wouldn't rely only on birth control pills as they do say we tend to not absorb them completely. We've used condoms for almost 4 years now and only had the 1 pregnancy that we planned. It wouldnt hurt to use 2 forms of BC to double protect yourself from a pregnancy. Best of luck to you!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

tobyiismom
on 5/17/12 1:29 am - IN
I switched to the Nuvaring after surgery.  So far it's been working.  With the ring you don't have any malabsorption issues since the hormones are released through the uterine wall.  
bittybabynurse
on 5/18/12 4:14 am - MN
Ditto on the nuvaring! It might be a little more expensive than BCPs but you don't run the risk of it not working!
Highest  272 Consult 265 Goal 165 Current 158    

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker]
(deactivated member)
on 5/18/12 6:34 am - Woodbridge, VA
I also used NuvaRing.
Sharstar
on 5/30/12 3:34 am - Canada
I think Im the last one to use the good ol fashioned condom. I have never taken well to the hormones with the pill or other methods. I also didnt want to 'chance' anything.

Shari
My journey of a million miles begins with a single step

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1213 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 845 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1307 views