2.5 years out and wanting to start a family

Laura T.
on 9/11/12 5:42 am - Florence, KY
I am about 2.5 years out from my Sleeve surgery.  I mastered the Sleeve and lost all my weight, even got down to 144!!!  I recently got married in March.  We are wanting to start a family so I got off all my meds.  I was on Cymbalta (depression/anxiety) and Topamax(binge eating).  These meds really helped me keep my weight loss under control and not worry about what I was eating 24/7.  Since I have gotten off the meds, I have gained 20+ pounds ;(  I know it was the best thing to get off the meds, while trying to start a family, but at the same time my weight gain scares me.  I don't want to already be up weight and then get pregnant.  Since my eating was under control, I stopped seeing my psychologist.  I was really in the best place of my life earlier this year.  Now I'm back to worrying about my weight, tracking it, and being sad that I have let myself go again.  I'm wondering if there are others out there and how you are coping.  I just need to jump start my good eating habits again.  Each day I say, this is the day and it's not working out like I'm hoping.  I'm torn, as I want to start a family but I want to get back to how I was earlier this year.... ;(

Laura

Lapband 8/7/07
Sleeved 5/19/10

Paula622
on 9/13/12 6:20 am
Sounds like a trip back to the psychologist would be a good place to start.  There are obviously some greater forces at play here, and you want to address them before 20lbs becomes 50lbs, or before you're deluged with pregnancy hormones.  Best of luck to you!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

Laura T.
on 9/13/12 7:12 am - Florence, KY
Thank you so much!! I've been wondering if I should go back just for a mental check.  She always seems to make the situation much better.

Lapband 8/7/07
Sleeved 5/19/10

Time_for_Monica
on 9/13/12 7:41 am - Levittown, NY
 HI Laura, and congratulations on your surgery and your succesful weight loss. 
First of all I have to say that when I first went to get the surgery I had RNY and it was explained to me. . .this is what the doctor said. You will lose very quickly in the beginning (the honeymoon phase) then you will have times of plateaus and the weight loss will stop and then start again slowly until you finally level out, that is when your body knows to stop losing and that is when you will possibly gain a little back, that is normal becuase your body knows where it needs to be.
I am 2 years and 6 months post op and have just gained 6 pounds back from my 131 pounds weight loss due to my pregnancy of TWINS. . .lol.
I am also a little worried about gaining a lot of weight back and getting back to where I was. . .but that will NEVER happen. It is not possible for us as Post ops to get back to where we were unless we REALLY push ourselves to eat junk and completely not do any physical activity at all. Right now the most important thing for me and YOU to think about since you are thinking of having a baby is to just make sure that you are eating enough to get the right nutrition in and just do exercise. . .find something that you love to do and do it. LIke for me it was Zumba that I fell in love with and got me going. So I wish you the best of luck with everything and all I can say is to stop worrying. . .you can't live a normal life that way. If you are really worried about gaining then make time to do exercise. . .there is ALWAYS time. . .no excuses. Good luck and keep us posted. 

Lilypie - (kDs2) Lilypie - (Ukoq)                            
  Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Laura T.
on 9/13/12 8:09 am - Florence, KY
First, congrats on your weight loss and your pregnancy!!! How exciting!!! I suppose I was just used to not having to worry about my weight since I maintained for such a long time and then its gradually started to increase.  I believe if I can get back to the basics, things will start to level out.  Its been a crazy year for me, new marriage, losing job, starting new one that was terrible and quitting, unemployment for 3 months, and now starting a new job.  These could have an impact on the weight and stress eating! haha ;) This is a journey and I need to understand that there will be ups and downs.  Lots of luck for a healthy pregnancy!!

Lapband 8/7/07
Sleeved 5/19/10

Time_for_Monica
on 9/13/12 8:30 am - Levittown, NY
 Thank you. I'm sorry you've had so much trouble. I hope things get better for you. I'm going to friend you so we can keep in touch. And I really like your way of thinking about that this is a journey. . .that is very true. . .the surgery was just the beginning and the maintenance is our life. 
Are you part of a post op support group? It really really helps to become a member of one. I am a part of LIPO here on long island where I live. Maybe you could find one close to your area or maybe you can find one online.  

Lilypie - (kDs2) Lilypie - (Ukoq)                            
  Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Laura T.
on 9/13/12 10:30 am - Florence, KY
Thanks, that would be great!! I do not go to a support group.  I orginally didn't join since I was seeing my psychologist and that was enough.  But since I haven't been in a few months, I need to get back to something that keeps me accountable.  I appreciate your feedback and kind words!

Lapband 8/7/07
Sleeved 5/19/10

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1225 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 852 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1316 views