Newborn essentials??

Alice P.
on 12/27/12 12:41 am

So my boys are 10 and 12 and I am starting over with baby stuff.  I know I don't need everything I thought I did 12 yrs ago but I also know there are all sorts of new things out there--what essential baby things do you need for the first 6 months???

HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

rthomas
on 12/27/12 3:01 am - bham, AL
Oneies socks bibs i dnt believe in overdressing babies cpl of blankets cotton pants walmart has them for 2.00 all the time
SassySamara
on 12/27/12 4:38 am - San Antonio, TX

Besides the basics/obvious like carseat, stroller, etc things I found helpful were:

A breastfeeding/nursing pillow-helps even if you bottle feed...I had both the bobby and my breastfrend

Onesies: I liked the ones with zippers because easier to get them changed, especially at night when tired and can't be bothered with snaps

I really loved by baby bouncer and swing because it kept baby entertained when I needed to do things around the house or even shower and they can take naps in them too

Bibs/Burp Clothes

Swaddler....I know you can use blankets but I bought one that was made for swaddling and my son loved it, he had a bad startle reflex so his hands would always wake him up but if I swaddled him he slept much better

Lilypie - (8swr) Lilypie - (XAvt)

nkjanes78
on 12/27/12 7:56 am - Norfolk, VA

I say a boppy pillow. Great for tummy time, learning to balance while sitting up and even though I didn't breast feed I alway used it wen I fed him. It raised him up just enough so i felt like he wasn't half way to the floor and it just gave some security. I could put the pillow on my legs and then lay him across it. It made it possible to have both hands free if need be 

(deactivated member)
on 12/27/12 9:21 am
I second what all the previous ladies said a MUST is the nighties that look like gowns(u can get them for boys and girls or gender neutral). The have a little elastic at the bottom so its like a dress if you will. But they are AMAZING because when you have to change the baby you dont have to undress and wake him/her up. You simply lift it up and pull it back down! I loved them for my son! I hated having to pull legs out of clothes and so did he, the less disturbance the better! Also, I would recommend a wipe warmer! People say its not necessary but seriously who wants a cold wipe? They made them warm but not jot, just perfect... allowing him to sleep through diaper changes. Also, its nice to wipe their face and not have it cold.
twert80
on 12/31/12 12:55 am

I second the night gowns!!!  I have used them for all 3 of my kiddos and work great for those night time changes for newborns.  Also(if you are planning on breastfeeding), with my last i broke down and purchased a nursing cover (by udder cover) at a consignment shop and LOOOOOVE it!!!  I know a receiving blanket works fine but with this it is soooo convenient.  It has a ribbed top that allows you to see the baby while they are nursing which makes latching on in public places much easier (no boob in the eye;)).  I also bought one of those baby wraps this time around and love it as well.  It works great for long shopping trips, park adventures with other kids, and basic housework when baby is having a clingy day.  I shop at second hand stores for extras like that but for wraps and other items that you place the baby in (bouncers, swings, ect..) always check for recalls even if the store claims they do.  It's easy and its worth the extra time to ensure baby is safe.  Good luck.

Tiff

Alice P.
on 12/31/12 1:11 am

Yes I love thrift stores!! And I will be nursing--I think my girlfriend has one of those covers for me.  My sister gave me a Moby wrap which if I can figure out how to use it I have heard great things about!

twert80
on 12/31/12 1:16 am

You will love both and the wrap looks more complicated than it actually is.  Just follow the directions and look at the pics it will work out fine.  I know when i first looked at it i was like how ta hello kitty does this thing work???  After one time putting it on i have no trouble since.

Alice P.
on 12/31/12 1:27 am

Yes my sister didn't have the instructions but she said they are online and that I really would figure it out!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1214 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 845 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1307 views