Blood Clot

SassySamara
on 4/4/13 12:19 pm - San Antonio, TX

So on Tuesday I had a business trip to Guadalajara, Mexico. It was a one day trip, there and back, and on the company's corporate jet. I had gotten approval from Ob/GYN to fly at the previous visit I had when I was 28 weeks. For the trip, I was 30. The flight was about 1.5 hrs and since it was pretty comfortable I did not think to get up and walk around, etc, with exception of bathroom break. We did a lot of walking, meetings, up/down while there and I noticed my foot was swollen. I wore flats but my feet, or rather foot, still hurt. Once we got back, my co worker noticed my foot looked even more swollen. But I chalked it up to pregnancy, travel, etc so took a shower and went to bed. Woke up and it was even bigger. I had no ankle and sausage toes, my leg was warm, and it hurt, a lot. But I still went to work...in "designer" flip flops. At about 430 pm I said let me call the OB just to be safe. When I explained my symptoms and that it was only on one side they said go right to L&D. When they checked me out, had a fever, swollen foot, headache, etc. I was admitted and they started testing for a clot and ultrasound showed one in my lower calf/ankle area although very small. So they started aspirin, elevation, and other treatment right away. I was allowed to be released today but am on bed rest through my appt Monday. I have to take aspirin every 4 hrs, use heat, and elevate but leg already looks much better. They think that the baby is also resting on left side so pressure of that on pelvis and nerves is what made the swelling worse. All in all I think everything will be fine but it was a scary experience and one not to ignore. I had actually planned to take one more flight in a few weeks but that is definitely not going to happen. I pushed the doctor to approve this trip as it was and played up the short trip and jet as benefits of trip so nothing to worry....lesson learned. Health and safety of me and baby are #1. This pregnancy has had enough drama so I am just ready to meet my daughter with no more craziness!

Lilypie - (8swr) Lilypie - (XAvt)

HilaryH8103
on 4/4/13 2:55 pm - WA
I'm SO glad you & your baby girl are okay. Clots are nothing to play around with. If you ever get swollen like that again anywhere on your body head straight to the ER or L&D. I have to get ultrasounds on my legs every 2 months because I have severe lymphedema. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Keep your feet elevated & relax. Is this your first pregnancy?

Best Wishes,

Hilary
SassySamara
on 4/6/13 11:49 am - San Antonio, TX

Thanks! This is actually my 2nd pregnancy and with the exception of severe anemia everything else is so different with this pregnancy. Seems like if not one thing, it is another, lol This little girl is already starting drama from the womb!

Alice P.
on 4/4/13 10:33 pm

You poor thing! My sister in law had a clotting disorder and had severe blood clots during her 4th pregnancy and was on injections and bed rest most of the pregnancy--so take at easy!!!!

HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

SassySamara
on 4/6/13 11:50 am - San Antonio, TX

Thank You. It was certainly scary. I am taking it easy and happy to say that my foot looks almost normal again compared to the elephant hoof I had earlier in the week.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1232 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1317 views