Had my growth scan today

Lianne C.
on 6/10/13 9:29 am - Garden City, MI
So tomorrow I will be 34 weeks, and had a growth scan of LO. She is measuring at the 50th percencentile and sitting breech. I know my dr told me there was a higher chance of having a smaller baby due The meds I take for Trigeminal Neuolgia and was pretty sure that she felt smaller to me as well. Being number 4 and having the last 3 in the 90th percentile, this is still a shocker. So we did not get very good pictures because the baby fell asleep, and was nice and cozy with her hands up in her face!
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
nkjanes78
on 6/11/13 3:18 am - Norfolk, VA
Are they growth scans accurate? I was told with my son that the further you are in your pregnancy the harder it is to get accurate measurements because the baby is squished and they use measurements of their femur bones and cir****tance of their abdomin to guestimate size. Once she's born you can "fatten" her up with some good old mamas milk my daughter was 5lb 3oz and so tiny to me but by 4 months she was a chunky monkey

Elisabeth G.
on 6/11/13 4:12 am - Windsor, Canada

I had my growth scan today and my LO is in the 7th percentile I am according to my ob 36 weeks 4 days they are guessing he is 5 pounds 5 ounces 

I know he is going to be small and am prepared for it but I can understand being shocked and worried I hope it all works out for you

Cannady L.
on 9/28/13 4:27 am

I've just posted a separate message about getting similar results 2 weeks ago at a 28 week check. Our LO is in the 16th percentile, and I'm going back at 32 weeks. What happened with yours? Here's our full story:

I'm now 30 weeks along, expecting 12/4/13. I had gastric bypass in June of 2006, and have never had any problems, lost all my weight, and I've been really good about my diet. However....

When I went for an ultrasound at 28 weeks, the perinatologist said the fetus is small, in the 16th percentile. Now, this is just the starting baseline, so nobody's worried yet. But they said if they don't see a good growth rate by 32 weeks, they're going to assume placenta problems, start monitoring me more closely, and might eventually recommend inducing early because of presumed placenta failure. Skipping all of my feelings about THAT for the time being ---

I talked to my bariatric team and nutritionist, who found 2 different studies on PubMed that said that compliant bariatric patients are 2.3 times more likely to have small gestational-weight fetuses. It's not because of placenta failure; it's more likely because of our restricted diets (low sugar, low carb, etc).

My other measurements have all been great: fundus, my weight gain, fetal heart rate, kick activity.

Anyone else run into this? What we're planning to do now is go back for my 32-week scan after eating like a pig as much as I can. If the growth doesn't look good, we'll get a second opinion. I don't trust the original perinatologists much because they're affiliated with a very "high intervention" hospital.

My primary OB caregivers are a midwife-run birth center.
RNY in June of 2006. Lost 100 lbs and maintaining. "Good carb" veggie diet + fish.Fertility issues (due to age) for 3 years. 1 m/c. Tried IUI and IVF. Currently pg and due January 2013. Taking Bariatric Advantage chewable multivitamin, iron, Calcium citrate, dry Vitamin D, and Omega-3 (salmon oil). My avatar is a picture of my Bast statue; Bast is an Egyptian fertility goddess who protects cats and pregnant women. :) 
michellerayne
on 6/11/13 5:01 am
RNY on 09/19/12

It must be the time for growth scans.  I had mine yesterday and my little one was estimated to weigh 3 lbs 13 oz.  I'm 30 weeks so that puts her in the 75 percentile.  I know the measurements can be off, but I'm still happy considering I just had gastric bypass this past September.  She's doing a great job of being a leech, thank goodness :)

Lianne C.
on 6/11/13 5:58 am - Garden City, MI
I am not super worried about size, just kinda strange to not be told "this is gonna be a huge baby" my first was my smallest at 7lb 10oz, then I had two larger ones... 8lbs 11oz and 8lbs 16oz, so I'm just shocked for once! Lol

My largest fear is that my baby is breech! I was hoping for a natural delivery but my OB is not interested in that as an option! She is more of the we will schedule your C-section, then hope that baby will turn and we won't need that! Uh
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
michellerayne
on 6/12/13 4:42 am
RNY on 09/19/12

50th percentile is right in the middle, so that means she's not really too big or too small at this point.  And, I think all babies like to put their hands in their face, lol.  I got my 3D ultrasound a couple weeks ago and mine was more than happy to block most views. This is my first girl, but I think she's going to be a handful just based on how different this pregnancy was from the one with my son.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1213 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 845 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1307 views