TTC: what do you wish you'd known before you started?

ElizaM
on 6/10/15 5:55 am
VSG on 07/24/14

We got the go-ahead from my PCP so I went off my BC pills, read up a bunch, bought OPK test strips... but I'm still wondering about what would be useful to know. I'm 33 in August, and I wish I was pregnant yesterday! I've had positive OPK results twice now, once last month and once yesterday! 

I apologize if this has been asked a zillion times before, but what do you wish you'd known? Especially, how do you handle the emotional ups and downs? My best friend has been trying for the last few months and she's having a hard time coping. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/19/15 12:35 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I totally know the feeling! The game of "hurry up and get pregnant" is SO stressful!

I'd suggest charting EVERYTHING, there are lots of handy apps for that. Ovulation tests, having sex, BBT, the whole nine yards. Being able to look at my data and know I'd done everything possible was actually very helpful, so no worry about "did I miss a day?" or anything like that.

The average time to conception after stopping birth control is 4+ months, so it's not super likely to happen right away. So don't put pressure on yourself!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

ElizaM
on 6/19/15 6:06 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

Thank you for chiming in! I have signed up on Fertility Friend and I think that will be helpful, I feel like I might as well try everything. 

It's just sorta crazy because I have spent two years to get to this point (one year pre-op, almost one year post-op) and it's like, hey, no pressure, I just want to get pregnant NOW! But I have to be patient and not freak out. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/19/15 6:24 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Oh heck yes, same boat! Wanted to get pregnant, needed to lose weight. Had surgery, waited a year afterwards, then started TTC and said "hurry up and work, ovaries!"

The good news? I had my IUD yanked 13 months post-op, and I was pregnant a month later :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1214 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 845 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1307 views