Feeling guilty..

klamb6
on 2/15/16 12:46 pm

Right before my surgery was scheduled I thought I was Pregnant, ( I was feeling sick, and crampy) so I went to the OB/Gyn. She did a blood test and called me and said that I wasn't. I went ahead and got some birth control and had my surgery. My pregnancy results are listed on my online health record and came in at .7 hcg which is borderline positive, from what I understand. What if I unknowingly aborted my child? The OB/Gyn gave me a pill to force a period before she put in my IUD. 

NHPOD9
on 2/24/16 10:44 am

I wouldn't continue to beat yourself up over a decision you can't change. However, it doesn't sound like you trust your doctor. Have you talked to him/her about your concerns? If not, why? It sounds like you need to decide if you trust this doctor enough to continue to see him/her.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Meagalina
on 7/22/16 6:44 am
RNY on 07/18/16

Since your level was 0.7 you were not pregnant. A level of 5 or below is considered not pregnant, and 25 and above is considered positive for pregnancy. 

It's also not uncommon for OB/Gyns to want you to have a period to insert an IUD (though that is an out of date practice and no longer deemed necessary). 

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/16 9:13 am, edited 7/22/16 2:32 pm - CA

When you are pregnant your hcg levels triple as a pregnancy progresses.  Anything below 30 and your last period was 4 weeks earlier is normal.   Also, there are certain antibodies that will raise a hcg level in women and it's not as significant as if you are pregnant, so this could be why your hcg level was minimally higher.   

In my experience as a Bariatric coordinator, a surgical coordinator and case management reviewer, if your levels were of a concern, your surgeon would have postponed your surgery until more definitive tests could confirm or rule out pregnancy.  

I wouldn't stress and dwell on what if, the scientific results indicate you were not.  Focus on your weight loss now, this is the time you need to focus on your success and over thinking could create some anxiety that could lead to old habits. 

Good luck,

~Nik

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1231 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1317 views