Obese pregnancy vs "skinny" pregnancy?

MrsRhone86
on 12/29/16 8:24 am
VSG on 11/28/16

I've had 4 pregnancies and 3 live births, my first pregnancy of identical twin girls resulted in complications and they passed away around 18 weeks gestation. All of my pregnancies with the exception of my son were awful pregnancies. My sons pregnancy was directly following the loss of my twins. I was 180 when I became pregnant with him and gained 50lbs. Fast forward 7 years and I was 230 pregnant with my daughter and gained 50. 14 months later I was 267 pregnant with my next daughter and gained 35lbs. I had vsg a month ago and am now 235lbs (down 30 yay) and plan to lose 90-100lbs more. My last two pregnancies were terrible on my back/hips/pelvis. I could hardly walk, it was so bad. This is the sole reason I said I was done after my last. I would love one more, but the level of pain during my last two just rendered me useless to everyone. Does anyone have any experience with terrible obese pregnancies followed by not so bad pregnancies after weight loss?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/30/16 10:37 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I don't have any personal experience, but my surgeon mentioned a study where they followed women who had a baby before surgery, and then had one after. There was a TON of improvement with the post-op pregnancy, the baby ended up healthier and the pregnancies had fewer complications. :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MrsRhone86
on 12/30/16 1:55 pm
VSG on 11/28/16

Thank you for taking the time to respond. That's hopeful news ?

Lauren010110
on 1/17/17 9:32 am - Victorville, CA

Since you state your pregnancies have been less than desirable on your body, have you ever thought of adoption?

I am experiencing my first pregnancy now but we adopted first, since I have been told that pregnancy would be difficult for me (I've been told this since I was 16) so we didn't know if I would be able to get pregnant. Now, I hand't been actively trying prior to my WLS, but still... the though of never being a mother really upset me. I myself am adopted and have always wanted to adopt a child of my own. When the opportunity to adopt came to us, we jumped and it has been an excellent experience. Low and behold, 9 months later, I found out we were pregnant. 

So when I say I have never been pregnant before, people look at me, then my daughter on my hip and have a confused look. it's great! lol 

if you have any questions, let me know! I am an open book when it comes to our experiences!

MrsRhone86
on 1/17/17 2:02 pm
VSG on 11/28/16

Hello, thank you for the response. We are actually planning to do foster care and adoption in the next couple years ? but my mind keeps going back to having one more too. I always wanted a big family. If I do have another though I'm going to do my best to wait the 2 years...I'm not even 2 months post op. I think there is a good chance foster care will be rewarding enough though and when the opportunity to adopt presents itself then we will definitely do it. Congratulations on the adoption of your child and the pregnancy news! This must be such an exciting time for your family! Good luck!

Courage2Enjoy
on 2/28/17 2:52 pm
VSG on 04/28/16

I am about 10 months post VSG and 16 weeks pregnant.  This is my 4th and yes...this time around has been so much easier.  I've been lucky to have any physically uncomfortable pregnancies but what I have noticed the most is the round ligament pain and lower back aches are non existent this go around.

My first in 08'-09' I got pregnant at 214 and gained 30 lbs.  Round ligament pain came later but was there.  If I walked up a hill or walked to long it would hurt.  

2nd in 10' I got pregnant at 230 and gained 20 lbs.  I got the round ligament pain early and was a little more intense.  

3rd in 14' was my heaviest 277.  I ended up losing about 18 lbs that pregnancy but round ligament pain and lower back aches started at around 11 weeks and lasted until delivery.  I had chronic HBP and due to pre-e had my youngest at 26.3 weeks.

This go around I am at the smallest and have not had any pain or uncomfortable feelings.  My BP is great.  I feel this one will be much easier.  Keep up your weight loss! 

MrsRhone86
on 5/1/17 5:03 am
VSG on 11/28/16

Thanks for the reply, I haven't been on here in a while. I'm a few days over 5 months post op and down 84lbs yay and just 42 more to go to reach my personal goal of 140lbs. I'm so glad your pregnancy is going better than previous ones. My husband had a vasectomy almost 2 weeks ago and I have very sad mixed emotions about it. Nothing beats that feeling of that brand new baby being tossed up on my chest and I'll never have that again. We will adopt though and that will be magical. Good luck and congrats on the new baby!

Courage2Enjoy
on 5/1/17 7:44 am
VSG on 04/28/16

No problem. I don't come on here often either. Way to go on your weight loss!!! Keep it up.

The only thing I see that is not desirable is it's been hard for me to gain weight so my doctor is keeping an eye to make sure baby is growing the way she should.

I know what you mean about a new baby but adopting is just as magical like you said. Good luck w/ everything and thank you!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1214 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 845 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1307 views