Have Few Questions?!? Help!

BeautifulMe84
on 1/1/17 7:19 am
VSG on 03/10/16

When I found out I was expecting I was DEVESTATED! I know babies are a blessing but I was not even one yr post op from my VSG surgery. Now my mind is coming around and I'm getting excited about the baby boy growing inside me. My questions are for the women who have had WLS and are PP.

How much weight did you gain?

How much weight did your doctor say you would gain being a WLS patient?

How much protein did you stick to daily?

Did you exercise at all during your pregnancy?

The weight (if any) that you gained during pregnancy...was it hard to come back off once you delivered?

Does being pregnant stop your sleeve from working correctly?

Does you sleeve stretch out while pregnant?

I know soooo many questions but I am a curious girl. I see my surgeon in a week but I would like to get some input from women who have actually gone through all this.

A huge THANK YOU...for any responders.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/2/17 2:34 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I got pregnant at 13 months post-op, and my son is now 14 months old.

I was 150lb when I got pregnant, 191 on delivery day, 182 when I got home from the hospital. I didn't keep my eating under control in the third trimester and I'll be the first to admit that I probably gained too much. My cravings were PB&J and Shredded Mini Wheats, so it was carbs carbs carbs!

I was super queasy 24/7 during the first trimester and couldn't keep any protein down. I was able to make about 40g per day after that, though.

Pregnancy doesn't affect your sleeve at all. Your stomach is still smaller than it was pre-op, and you do not stretch it.

I found that the hardest thing to do is stay in the WLS eating mindset while pregnant. My eating plan went totally out the window because I was so nauseous, and now that I'm over a year PP I've found that I have a VERY difficult time staying on plan sometimes. It's no excuse, and it's all my own fault, but it's absolutely been difficult.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

BeautifulMe84
on 1/2/17 2:53 pm
VSG on 03/10/16

Thanks so much for the response and honesty.

I am almost 5 months pregnant now and I have gained 3 pounds. I got off eating plan for a month then put my foot down and got back on track with protein and cutting out bad carbs. I hope I can stick to this mindset through the duration of the pregnancy but who knows. I know gaining weight will probably happen with a growing baby inside of me. :)

As long as I stay on track and eat healthy I will not stress so much.

Lauren010110
on 1/17/17 9:24 am - Victorville, CA

How much weight did you gain? I have gained about 8 lbs so far... I am at 20 weeks

How much weight did your doctor say you would gain being a WLS patient? Mine said not to worry about it, and he would let me know if it became a problem. (aggravating response... but it is what it is) I just keep tabs with my bariatric office for guidance

How much protein did you stick to daily? I maintain around 60g

Did you exercise at all during your pregnancy? I have a low lying placenta, so I have been advised not to do any strenuous activities... I work out at a bootcamp and play soccer, so I am quite board right now...

The weight (if any) that you gained during pregnancy...was it hard to come back off once you delivered? I dont know yet... I hope it comes off with breastfeeding and exercise!

Does being pregnant stop your sleeve from working correctly? I am not a sleever, but I have noticed that my sugar threshold has vone up. I only try to stick with natural sugars by way of fruit. 

Does you sleeve stretch out while pregnant? again, not a sleever, but sometimes I can eat a little more, and sometimes I am "tap-tap-done" after a few bites. I just know that leftovers will always be an option... lol

kc82
on 1/30/17 1:07 pm - MI
VSG on 05/28/13

Hi there! I am 7 months postpartum from having my son. I was 2.5 years post-op VSG when I found out I was pregnant. I am now almost 4 years post-op from surgery. Here are some answers to your questions. If you have any others, please feel free to ask or message me privately. I'm no expert, but I can tell you when I know from my own personal experience and research. :)

How much weight did you gain?
Starting weight: 165 lbs
Delivery weight: 205 lbs (+40 lb gain)
I ended up losing ALL the weight PLUS an extra 5 lbs within 2 weeks of delivery. I am now 7 months PP and my weight fluctuates from 158-162 lbs.

How much weight did your doctor say you would gain being a WLS patient?
They didn't tell me how much I would gain, but they wanted me to gain no more than 30 lbs. Of course I gained 40 lbs but they weren't concerned (even though I was freaking out!

How much protein did you stick to daily?
To be honest, when I was pregnant I stopped tracking. I was hungry A LOT and just kinda ate what I wanted (within reason). Near the end my cravings were terrible and I swear I probably consumed bags and bags of mini donuts!

Did you exercise at all during your pregnancy?
No, I did not. However at work I did try to take the stairs as much as I could, even when I was extremely pregnant.

The weight (if any) that you gained during pregnancy...was it hard to come back off once you delivered?
I lost about 11 lbs right after delivery. And within two weeks, I had lost ALL the baby weight, plus an extra 5 lbs!

Does being pregnant stop your sleeve from working correctly?
I have read that some women believe pregnancy stops your sleeve from working. I personally don't really believe that's the case. I've done research, and according to that, while pregnant our bodies release a hormone that relaxes our stomachs in order to nourish and get in enough food for the growing baby. So because our stomachs are tiny, we are technically able to eat a little more because of this hormone. It does go away after the baby is born and restriction does return for the most part. I sometimes do think I can eat a little more than before, but it's definitely not bad.

Does you sleeve stretch out while pregnant?
Unless you're gorging on food... no, I don't think so. :)

"I have made the choices that work best for me. I know I cannot please everyone, and that's fine." - Marlee Matlin

Starting Weight: 311 lbs
Current Weight: 160 lbs
Height:
5'3"
Surgery Date:
5/28/13

Sutterbos
on 2/10/17 9:28 am
VSG on 06/21/12

Hi, there,

I just logged in today for the first time in about 6 months and saw your post from 1/1/17.  Hope you are doing well!

I gave birth to twins on 9/13/16, 4 years after my VSG.  I, too, was scared to death I was going to gain a bunch of weight, but it didn't happen.  To answer your questions:

How much weight did you gain?  30 total.  Zero weight gain in 1st 2 trimesters, then I gained about a pound a day for the last trimester.  I was so upset, but it was all fluid retention.  My ankles, hands, and legs got huge.

How much weight did your doctor say you would gain being a WLS patient?  They wanted me to gain about 30-40 since it was twins.

How much protein did you stick to daily?  I didn't keep track of my food at all.  I was having such a hard time gaining any weight, and all my lab values dropped significantly.  Twins ate everything!  So my doctor said to eat whatever I needed to in order to get in the calories.  They had me switch back to regular milk from almond milk for calcium and calories.  I basically ate whatever I wanted.

Did you exercise at all during your pregnancy?  No more than before pregnancy - lots of walking.

The weight (if any) that you gained during pregnancy...was it hard to come back off once you delivered?  So, turns out the twins were eating my fat those 1st 2 trimesters because I gained the 30 pounds, then lost 67 in the first month after delivering.  It was a little scary - that's faster than when I had surgery!  I've since gained back about 20 of that and hope it stabilizes soon!

Does being pregnant stop your sleeve from working correctly?  No, in fact I felt like I was freshly post-op again. As my uterus got bigger my stomach got pushed up.  I started throwing up again all the time if I ate too much or too fast.  There was no warning - I'd be fine, then take one more bite and out it all came. 

Does you sleeve stretch out while pregnant?  I don't think so.  I can definitely eat more than when I was pregnant, but I don't think it's more than before pregnancy.

The one warning I have is while pregnant I could eat a lot of stuff I couldn't eat before pregnancy.  Before I was pregnant if I ate ice cream or anything else with too much sugar I got dumping syndrome.  That completely went away in pregnancy.  I was craving cereal, ice cream, and other crap.  Unfortunately, 5 months after delivering, I'm still craving that stuff and the dumping syndrome has not come back.  I wi**** would!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1224 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 852 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1316 views