Beneprotein covered by RAMQ?

freckles1973
on 10/7/13 6:09 am - Canada

Does anyone know if Beneprotein is covered by RAMQ? I was just informed by my NUT that it is, however she claimed that some patients have a hard time by the pharmacist claiming it's not. She also claimed that this is considered medication that may also be covered by private insurance if not covered by RAMQ.

Before I start calling and making my self crazy with RAMQ and/or my insurance..has anyone had experience with this?

justpete
on 10/7/13 9:59 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

The first tub i got was covered.  however i never went back to get a second because it found it to be completely inedible.  the taste is ok for some, horrible to others.  worth looking into though ... can save you a lot of money.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

freckles1973
on 10/8/13 3:49 am - Canada

I called RAMQ and it is not on the approved medications list to be covered. Said that they would need a DR's letter and even then most likely not. Checked with my insurance and they don't cover any type of protein or nutritional supplement whatsoever under any cir****tance. Even if it is considered medication after surgery. So, that is the bad news.

The good news is that you can find purchase the products online for almost half the price, for those who can and want to. I found the Beneprotein on Amazon. I need 6 canisters. Even with taxes and shipping and handling it it still cheaper then buying it in the pharmacy.

As for it being inedible, did you not mix it with foods?  I got some interesting recipes from the guide and my NUT to try with the Beneprotein after surgery. To combine strawberry Boost drinks with Beneprotein and freeze to make popsicles. As well as addling to Jell-o and mixing it in with creamed soups. I hope this will help with the taste.

justpete
on 10/8/13 7:58 am
VSG on 04/02/13

yes, mixed flavored whatever.  the taste was too much like curdled milk to me.  please try before you buy 6 canisters!  IMO, you are better off with one unflavored protein for mixing into things (jello and SF pudding), then get one creamy and one fruity mix for shakes.  premier protein shakes from costco are a must for convenience and taste.  i wish i had found those sooner than i did!

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

freckles1973
on 10/12/13 1:33 am - Canada
Too bad u had such a bad experience with beneprotein. I'm 4 days post op and finding the beneprotein quite tolerable in jello and mixed in orange juice. Even better in the Popsicle form with strawberry boost no regrets at all with the 6 canisters .
sweet_sylvie
on 10/15/13 10:01 pm
Thank you, I have 2 caninster and didn't like it with the jello. I'm 2 months post op
claudiaes
on 10/17/13 12:45 am - ddo, Canada
VSG on 11/18/13

can anyone tell me how much is the beneprotein at the pharmacy?

TIA

freckles1973
on 10/18/13 6:54 am - Canada

The Beneprotein is between 21.95 and 24.95 a canister depending on the pharmacy. I found that pricey when I would need 6 canisters. I looked online and found much better deals on Amazon..even ebay may be cheaper too.

For Sweet Sylvie- I am now 10 days post op and in the semi-liquid phase..so I am able to have small amounts of cream soups and fat free Jello pudding. Campbell's Low fat Cream of Broccoli..if you like it..works well..and I find when I add Beneprotein to the chocolate pudding I don't even taste it, Its great ! :-)

claudiaes
on 10/20/13 10:46 pm - ddo, Canada
VSG on 11/18/13

thanks so much for the info!

Most Active