Am I eating too much?

Viva C.
on 6/6/08 6:39 am - East Bernstadt, KY
I am post-op one week today. Dr. Olham in Georgetown Ky did my Realize Band. The question I have is am I eating too much? I thought you were only supposed to be abel to eat approx. 2-4 oz. I just finished a meal of 6 oz. homemade vegetable soup, 6 tsp of Sugar Free Jello and 4 oz. of Sugar Free Pudding. It was only after eating this much that I felt full. Any input would greatly be appreciated.  http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/victorianviva/
It is never too late to be what you might have been ......
KRISTIN S.
on 6/6/08 8:44 am - AZ
all of the foods you named are slider foods.  It is ok, really, once you get more restriction you will feel better.  Come visit us on the Lapband, which is where everyone is welcome.

Commitment Day/Pre-op/CURRENT/Goal
248/236/170/150

Amy Williams
on 6/7/08 12:09 pm

This is all normal.  When you are only having pretty much liquid type foods in the beginning you'll notice you can consume more.  Also you progress to softer/and then normal foods you'll be able to feel a difference.

I've lost over 400 pounds!  
I love helping others, if you have a question just ask!  

Click on a link to read more about my journey:  
My website   My reconstructive photos 

Jenn B.
on 6/9/08 9:17 am - Tempe, AZ
Unfortunately Viva, if your swelling has gone down, its possible that you may be back to no-restriction.  You also have to remember right now you're eating slider foods, these are foods that will slide right through your band. Once you can get to soft proteins, you may or may not feel a difference.  Honestly it took me two fills to even get to restriction.  I'm now at 7.5CC's in my realize band (surgery was in March).  I'm just now feeling good restriction, at 6.5 CC's I felt some restriction, but not enough. Another thing you have to identify is, is it hunger or head hunger.  My body will want to eat, but when I stop to think about it, I realize I'm not really hungry, I just want to snack. Hope this helps!
STBEAR
on 6/24/08 11:31 pm - SC
Hi everyone, I had a realize band placed on 4-4-08 and have lost 35 pounds so far. I was glad to read Jenn's B post about how much fill it may take to feel restriction. Right now I have only had 2cc put in and battle hunger pangs all day. I drink lots of protein water to keep from eating. I still love my band but look forward to more restriction. STBear
sunshineangel_1977
on 6/11/08 3:36 am - sabina, OH
WHEN I HAD MY REALIZE FIRST PUT IN I WAS THE SAME WAY...HOWEVER I NOTICED I WOULD GET HICCUPS AND THE FIRST FEW WEEKS THEY HURT SOMETHING HORRIBLE.  I ONLY GET THEM IF I EAT TO MUCH NOW.  UNFORTUNATLY THERE ISNT A WARNING.   I WAS ABLE TO EAT THAT MUCH 2 WEEKS AFTER SURGERY. I CURRENTLY HAVE 6.5CC IN MY BAND AND IN MY OPPINION I STILL EAT TO MUCH...IM STILL DROPPING POUNDS THOUGH...I THINK I NEED A FILL. STEPH

love hate relationship Eating Disorder      

MelindaDale
on 6/15/08 7:43 am - AR
I feel the same way. I had my sx done 2/27/08 and have not lost anywhere close to what I had hoped for.  I get the hiccups early into the meal, way before I feel full. I just started to feel restriction with the last fill 3 weeks ago. Now, I think I have started to eat way too many carbs again since it is much easier to not get things hung. No bread or rice at all for me. I still crave the sweets. I am also having a hard time getting the protein down.
Antoinette T.
on 6/11/08 1:49 pm
i could eat a lot of the liquid types of foods... I would ask the doc..
Tom C.
on 6/25/08 1:59 am, edited 6/25/08 2:00 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Dear Viva C,

I too am one of those folks who can (does) eat a little more then recommended. I find if I eat 4 ounces of protein, I am hungry. However if I eat 6 ounces of protein, I am full. I discussed this with my Doctor, and he said that those numbers are “suggested average” amounts, and some folks will eat more. He said I shouldn’t worry unless I start eating 8, 10, 12, 16+ ounces of protein. Plus it’s WHAT type of food you’re eating that counts. Eating 8 ounces of vegetables is much more nutritional (and beneficial) for you then say having 3 ounces of ice-cream or 1 ounce of cheesecake.  The bottom line is loosing weight. As long as you loose weight, and you let e “tool do it’s job” - then you should be ok.

With all that said - I would still strongly advise you to speak to your Doctor. I’ve come to learn each Doctor has their own views, and sometimes they contradict one another. Only your Doctor will know what’s right for you.

Good luck on your journey !! Don’t ever lose focus of your ultimate goal !! Tom !!

Jean D.
on 7/5/08 7:37 am
Most Active