Realize band or reg lapband?

jla734
on 6/9/08 9:57 am - DE
Hi all,   I am once again considering lapband surgery. During the past 2 years I have been getting a pinching feeling on my middle to upper inner thighs. It used to only happen during relations with my husband. Real turn on huh? Then it would happen at other times like simply driving down the road or even walking around Walmart. My doctor thinks its because of my sugar. I had nerve conduction tests and told that doctor about the pain and WHERE it happened so he decides to stick one of the needles where I pointed. INSTANT pain blindsided me.I am sick of these cramps and I also now get this pinching feeling in other areas of my body.   My sugars fasting glucouse is always high my A1C is never above 6.9. I also suffer sleep apnea and am 5 ft 4 3/4 weighing in at 220. I want the lapband but also want to get rid of this insane pain!!Please tell me the difference between the different lapbands?
Crystal_girlost
on 6/9/08 11:45 am - WV
Read the Realize Band FAQ to the left. It is very good. Then talk to your surgeon about what he uses. The bottom line is that the tool is only as good as you work it.
Vampyrvet
on 6/11/08 2:06 pm
I am currently 1 week post-op with the Realize Band. As my surgeon described it to me, the biggest difference between the Realize & Lap Band is that there is less chance of band slippage or port movement with the Realize. It is anchored more securely to the abdominal wall, and also there is a metal sheath around the tubing near the port to prevent it from being punctured when you get your fills. I am an active person, and movement or slippage of the port was a big concern for me. Other than that, the band itself is virtually the same. Both work by restricting the size of the opening through which food can pass. One thing that is different with Realize: you get access to their extensive website, whi*****ludes pre & post-op information, advice on exercise, diet, coping, etc. You can also have a virtual model so you can see what you look like at your start weight and your goal weight. There is also an appointment reminder system, and lots of other features. I don't think the Lap Band does much for post-op support. Something else to consider, I found out at the last minute that Realize was offering a $1500 promotional discount. A little healthy competition is a good thing! Good luck to you, whatever you decide. Natalie
Banded 6/08, Slipped 9/08
Revised Band 9/08, Slipped Again 2/09
Sleeved 3/09, Hoping the 3rd time's the charm!
brookeeldridge
on 6/23/08 8:42 am - Muskegon, MI
I see the article forgot to talk about the my sucess part of realize that lap-band does not have..interesting.... wonder why that was left out
jla734
on 6/24/08 12:35 am - DE
  Thank you for the replies. The support is a very good thing esp since the reg lapband does not offer it.
MsBatt
on 6/28/08 9:02 am
Since you're having problems with diabetes, I strongly urge you to consider a malabsorptive surgery rather than a merely restrictive one. Both the RNY and the DS actually CHANGE the way your body reacts to insulin, and changes it almost immediately. Restriction-only surgeries, such as either form of gastric band or the VSG, only help you with diabetes by helping you lose weight.
cfuture88
on 6/29/08 12:48 pm - Madison, CT
Research now shows that it is the same for the lapband.
cfuture88
on 6/29/08 12:55 pm - Madison, CT

The diabetes thing- the band is now seen as affecting the hormones and decreasing the incidence of diabetes.

The lap band has been around longer so some docs use this and the ones who are more willing to go with the new try the Realize band.  Do you go with tried and true or new?

SandyR
on 7/14/08 12:22 pm, edited 7/14/08 12:23 pm - Portland, OR

Hi, guys      - I'm not sure why you think the Inamed lap band does not offer patient support - that is a critical part of all band success.

There is a very extensive network of support for the LapBand, via The OH site, smartBandsters, Bandsters, SmarterBandsters, and numerous surgeon's own sites - since there are more than 300,000 implanted by now over many many years.

LapBand refers only to the Inamed bands - it is a trademark name of Inamed. The Realize band is a great band, but is not a LapBand.

There are very few real differences between any of the many brands of bands, and all the same rules, guidelines, eating needs, trouble-shooting, possible problems, and more are the same.

The best to all of you! We're all in this together!

Sandy r, BSN, MN

Lap Band educator

at goal 4.5 yrs

DISCLAIMER:  Any suggestions or comments are not intended as medical advice, but only as general information. Please always contact your own surgeon or his staff for any specific problems or concerns you are having. Although I have many years as a medical professional and band educator,  I offer suggestions here only  as an experienced Bandster. 
Most Active