To Fill or Not to Fill - that is the question

Tom C.
on 6/24/08 2:53 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

I had my operation on January 29, 2008. So far I have loss close to 100 pounds. I still don’t have those hunger pangs as I did before the operation. And I still feel full after I eat.

Lately I have noticed that I am falling into some bad habits.  I know I am eating until I feel full - but sometimes I need to have an extra fork full (or two - no more then two) - even when I know I am full. I don't know understand why I do this. I am trying to stop myself, but there are times the urge is so overpowering, I cave in. I sometimes feel as if I had OCD.

I have also noticed there are times when I feel I need to "finish what's in my plate" - again even when I am full. I can hear my Italian mother (God rest her soul) saying “finish what’s in your plate”! I know that the "finish what's in your plate" philosophy it irrational, but I do it anyway. Yes, I know, I'm wacked .. but at least I see my flaws.

On my last visit to the Doctors (about a 6 weeks ago) we schedule a band-fill for July 16th. He said as long I am loosing weight, I probably won’t need a fill - but make the appointment “just in case”. He also said that having a fill (while still loosing weight) may have an “adverse” effect on my weight lost.

Last week, I went to see my Nutritionist and explained to her “my bad habit” dilemma. She thinks a fill will take care of this “extra fork full” issue.

So here is my question: Should I have the fill, or should I wait another month or so? I’ve been doing so well without a fill, and I am afraid the fill may hamper my weight lost. Has anyone had major issues and/or “backslides” from having a fill?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

NewHere37
on 6/25/08 5:40 am - CO
Well, I won't be banded until Friday, so my opinion could be totally worthless!! However, if you reply to the question I posted on the Realize Message Board, I will be grateful.  You have clearly done amazing!! And the fact that you have had such success so far makes me think that perhaps you do need a fill. After all, you have done so great so far, something must have changed recently. So, either you do need a fill, or you are doing a mind game and it is causing a problem. If you need a fill, go for it. If you are doing a mind game, maybe a teeeeny tiny fill would help mentally. Or, that is just completely useless advice! LOL! Perhaps a visit to a psych would help if you think it is a mental thing to overcome. Good Luck, Deb
Tom C.
on 6/26/08 1:37 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Deb, For someone who hasn't had the band yet you gave sound advice !! Thanks !!
Woodsy
on 9/24/08 2:05 am - MI
Did you get the fill?  What happened?  I would have gotten another fill because I have been having those same issues and I am going in for a fill in a few days.

Jackie
Woodsy
Realize Band
Dr. Jon Schram, 1/3/2008
start 273 current 225

"Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape"
Most Active