Soon to be banded in Bangkok

bangkokcritter
on 7/24/08 8:27 pm - Bangkok, Thailand
Greetings,

I'll be getting my Realize band on August 8th. I'm both excited and nervous - normal right? Although the medical care here is outstanding, I doubt the surgeons have done lots of this type of surgery - Thais are generally tiny, so if a doctor does any bariatric surgery, it is likely it'll be on a foreigner. I chose to have it done at one of the top 3 hospitals in Thailand and have no doubt the surgery will go fine.  I contacted the Realize company as I wanted to join the realize my success program, but was told it was only opened to people in the US. Does anyone have an idea what I can do or to whom I should complain? I was hoping to use their website as a guide for my post-op care.

Thanks,

Cristina
phfauche
on 7/24/08 11:24 pm - Columbus, OH
Cristina,  Can't help you with joining the success program but I just wanted to wish you good luck with your surgery and say you'll be in my prayers for a successful surgery and quick recovery.   Good Luck,

Hugs,   Peggy 

bangkokcritter
on 7/31/08 7:50 am - Bangkok, Thailand
Hi Peggy,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. My Internet at home isn't the most reliable. Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. I would love to hear about your experience with the whole process. Have you found all the changes you had to make difficult to live with? It's countdown for me - six days to go!!!

Cristina
SusanNYC
on 7/25/08 1:30 am - Bayside, NY
Hey Cristina.....wow having the band done in thailand.....will at least you will have the gods and goddess to help make sure everything goes well. Are you an expartiate in this beautiful county. Moreover all my best wishes for a quick and speedy recovery.....are you ready for all your widest dreams to come true?    hugs susan

bangkokcritter
on 7/31/08 8:06 am - Bangkok, Thailand
Hi Susan,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. It is the rainy season here, and when it pours it affects everything - including the telephone lines!!! Yes, I'm an expat living in Thailand - a great place to live. The medical care here is outstanding and a fraction of the cost in the US. My surgeon has a lot of bariatric experience though he has only done 2 or 3 lap-bands. His speciality is the Roux en Y gastric bypass. I'll be getting the surgery at one of the best hospitals in Thailand, so I'm confident the surgery will go well. I'm a little less confident about post-op support. I'm hoping to get all the info I need (diet dos and don'ts) from this forum and the Internet. Six days to go till I join the club!

Take care,

Cristina
DrC
on 7/30/08 2:07 am - Cincinnati, OH
On July 25, 2008 at 3:27 AM Pacific Time, bang****ritter wrote:
Greetings,

I'll be getting my Realize band on August 8th. I'm both excited and nervous - normal right? Although the medical care here is outstanding, I doubt the surgeons have done lots of this type of surgery - Thais are generally tiny, so if a doctor does any bariatric surgery, it is likely it'll be on a foreigner. I chose to have it done at one of the top 3 hospitals in Thailand and have no doubt the surgery will go fine.  I contacted the Realize company as I wanted to join the realize my success program, but was told it was only opened to people in the US. Does anyone have an idea what I can do or to whom I should complain? I was hoping to use their website as a guide for my post-op care.

Thanks,

Cristina
Cristina,
I was told that it's only available in English, not that it's only available to patients in the US.  You will get a patient card when you have surgery, you should be able to log in with the serial number from your band.  If you don't have any luck, email me at [email protected]

Trace W. Curry, M.D.  -- Lap Band, Realize Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy
Cincinnati, Ohio & Northern Ky    http://www.TheBandDoctor.com   
513.559.1222 / 877.442.BAND
DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
bangkokcritter
on 7/31/08 6:53 am - Bangkok, Thailand
Hi Dr. Curry,

Thank you so much for your reply. I emailed the company that makes the Realize band and was told that I would need to be followed by a doctor in the US. I live in Thailand, so that's not possible.  I was really hoping to use their website as the doctors here are not very familiar with the Band and post-op diet I need to follow. I figured their website would give me the guidelines I need to make it work for me. I'll ask the surgeon for the number and will email you once I get home  from the hospital.

Thanks again,

Cristina
Most Active