AP Lapband vs Realize DR C can you help?

jla734
on 8/18/08 4:40 am - DE
Dr C,
  My doctor asked me which band I would want. I am interested in the Realize band. I looked at both. I read somewhere that the new Lapband is 14 cc and also low profile port. I seen the little pillows on the new AP band. I look at the Release band and there are not pillows. So here is one question lets say the AP "pillowed" band leaked.. Would the band still work because the "pillows" are seperate?I don't know if they are seperate but looked that way to me. Now if the Realized band leaked I have heard that it has a warrenty? Is the band warrented?

I told the doctor I perfer the Realize but if I need the bigger AP new band she would place that instead. I have also read that the Lapband makers will also have a great site coming up soon. Then there is now a band that has NO port that works via a remote control. Now that is cool is it available now?

I know these are alot of questions but I want to make the right choice.
Michael Eak
on 8/19/08 7:13 am - Largo, FL
Even though there are "Pillows" in the Lap Band, they are all connected to one fill tube. If one was to leak, all of the pillows would decrease in pressure. My understanding is that the Realize Bands size is the same size as the largest Lap Band, also

As to any warrantee, go to www.RealizeBand.com to research that.

Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
jla734
on 8/19/08 7:56 am - DE
  Thanks for the info. I thought the AP new one is 14 cc and the lapband has only 10 cc?
sunshineangel_1977
on 8/20/08 2:02 am - sabina, OH
the band that fills itself is called easyband and it isn't available yet in the us and it is currently being tested but again not in the us...

love hate relationship Eating Disorder      

DrC
on 8/21/08 9:58 am - Cincinnati, OH
On August 18, 2008 at 11:40 AM Pacific Time, jla734 wrote:
Dr C,
  My doctor asked me which band I would want. I am interested in the Realize band. I looked at both. I read somewhere that the new Lapband is 14 cc and also low profile port. I seen the little pillows on the new AP band. I look at the Release band and there are not pillows. So here is one question lets say the AP "pillowed" band leaked.. Would the band still work because the "pillows" are seperate?I don't know if they are seperate but looked that way to me. Now if the Realized band leaked I have heard that it has a warrenty? Is the band warrented?

I told the doctor I perfer the Realize but if I need the bigger AP new band she would place that instead. I have also read that the Lapband makers will also have a great site coming up soon. Then there is now a band that has NO port that works via a remote control. Now that is cool is it available now?

I know these are alot of questions but I want to make the right choice.
Forget about the EasyBand it's a long way off yet.

The AP comes in 10cc and 14cc sizes.  The pillows interconnect, so a leak in the cuff would cause the whole thing to leak.  I have actually never seen this.

The Realize is a continuous cuff. 

I'm not sure one is better or worse, at least studies show the same outcomes really.  If you like mySuccess then that could be a reason to choose Realize.

Trace W. Curry, M.D.  -- Lap Band, Realize Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy
Cincinnati, Ohio & Northern Ky    http://www.TheBandDoctor.com   
513.559.1222 / 877.442.BAND
DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
jla734
on 8/21/08 9:34 pm - DE
  Thank you Dr C.  I still can't find out if the Realize has a warrenty? Also the new AP band can be unlocked and repostioned. I read that the Realize can be unlocked if need be but nothing about it being able to be repositioned? Also are both the new AP and Realize low pressure and low profile ports.
   On another note there is a feature article on OH called the battle of the bands. The doctor appears to like the AP better the newer one and says the near term weight loss has been great. I am being banded this Tuesday.Thanks for all your info,
DrC
on 8/21/08 9:58 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On August 22, 2008 at 4:34 AM Pacific Time, jla734 wrote:
  Thank you Dr C.  I still can't find out if the Realize has a warrenty? Also the new AP band can be unlocked and repostioned. I read that the Realize can be unlocked if need be but nothing about it being able to be repositioned? Also are both the new AP and Realize low pressure and low profile ports.
   On another note there is a feature article on OH called the battle of the bands. The doctor appears to like the AP better the newer one and says the near term weight loss has been great. I am being banded this Tuesday.Thanks for all your info,
I would be surprised if there is any kind of warranty that says "we'll pay all the bills for you to get a new band if anything goes wrong" if that's what you're thinking.

Probably there is a defective product warranty, which means that if you can prove the product itself is defective (which is difficult at best) they will replace just the product.

Trace W. Curry, M.D.  -- Lap Band, Realize Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy
Cincinnati, Ohio & Northern Ky    http://www.TheBandDoctor.com   
513.559.1222 / 877.442.BAND
DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
Most Active