6 Days Post-Op and Freaking Out!!

bandinside
on 9/3/08 9:16 am - Cincinnati, OH
Hi.  I am brand new here.  I got the Realize band just last week. 

Last night was my first night back at "group" (eating behavior discussion group therapy thing at the center I went to for surgery).

In group someone asked about the differences between the two bands (Lap and Realize) and the group leader said some things that have me totally freaked out!!  She said that:
1. Only about 20% of the patients there have the Realize band.
2. The doctor is somewhat "reluctant" to use it.
3. The particular band that is being used now has only been around since Januray of this year.
4. People with a Realize band are a "harder stick" than people with the Lap Band because the port is smaller - therefore you may get "stuck" with the needle multiple times when the doctor is trying to do a fill.

When I tried to ask her about it after, she was careful to say that both bands are equal and that the surgeon chooses the band that he/she feels will be best for you....

Anyway...any insight?  Help? 

Thanks!
Rachel M.
on 9/3/08 12:15 pm
Hi.  I too have the realize band.  My doctor does adjustments at the hospital under the xray(?) machine or something.  So that he can see that the needle is going into the port.  This is inconvenient because it requires another appointment.  Instead of the doctor doing the fill he his office. Anyway. No big deal. 
Good luck to you.  By the way I had 5 adjustments for a total of 7.5ccs before I felt restriction.  I think most people are luckier and don't need as many adjustments.  So if it doesn't work right away don't get discouraged like I did.  Just continue getting it adjusted. 
Kim H.
on 9/4/08 4:14 am - Woodland Park, CO
I have the Realize Band and I'm 6 mos. post op. The band is the original band - the "Swedish Band" and is just new in the US. I get regular fills, no x-ray machine or anything like that and have never been stuck more than 1 time per fill. You should be fine.
Kim

bandinside
on 9/4/08 7:20 am - Cincinnati, OH
Thank you... I am over the initial panic now! 

I have been reading a lot of the other posts in this forum and have found lots of helpful information.  I have an appointment with my surgeon next Friday and I am going to ask him directly about what she said about him being "reluctant" to use the Realize band... I'm making the decision not to worry about it until I talk to him.

Thanks again for the replies!
whiterabt
on 9/4/08 9:22 am, edited 9/4/08 9:23 am
And to put your mind more at ease, the Realize band has been around for years!!  It was only recently approved for use by the FDA in the US, but has widespread use in Europe.

The realize port design is said to be more low profile than the Lap-Band.

reillye
on 9/6/08 10:28 am
Just to echo what the others have said - it's new to the US, but not new.  I've had 2 fills, one with flouroscopy, and one in the office, and both were one stick.

Eileen
malibubabykt
on 9/8/08 11:44 am - Chattanooga Area, GA
1. Only about 20% of the patients there have the Realize band.
~This may be true, but because the Realize Band has been used for a shorter amount of time, and is just starting to get so much commercial attention.

2. The doctor is somewhat "reluctant" to use it.
~If he/she thought there was something wrong with the band, why would he/she use it at all?

3. The particular band that is being used now has only been around since Januray of this year.
~The Realize Band was FDA approved in September 2007 and first placed on October 17, 2007. I was band #2 in the US, but my surgeon was involved in FDA trials out of the country for several years and the Swedish Band has been used internationally for years.

4. People with a Realize band are a "harder stick" than people with the Lap Band because the port is smaller - therefore you may get "stuck" with the needle multiple times when the doctor is trying to do a fill.
~I've had 5 fills, 3 by my surgeon and 2 by his nurse, and never more than 1 stick each time.

Most Active