Why did you choose the Realize Band???

crystal M.
on 9/5/08 11:06 pm - Joliet, IL
When I went for my consult with the surgeon he told me I would need to decide between the Lap Band or the Realize Band.  I asked him if one got better results that than other or one had less complications than the other.  He said "not really"  So I said what is the difference?  He said The Realize Band had a smaller port, for less irritation after surgery.  He said it has a larger target area for fills and its attached via these metal claws instead of being sewn into place.  That is all great but lets face it all I care about is results and less complications.  I'm not sure why I should choose one over the other.  Why did you ultimately choose The Realize Band.  I told my doctor I would think about it.
msvick1
on 9/5/08 11:11 pm - Princeton, NJ
Hi Crystal, actually my doc chose it...he thought it would work best for me.  Did you ask your doc?  He told me there's really not a lot of difference in his opinion. 
crystal M.
on 9/5/08 11:16 pm - Joliet, IL
My doctor is leaving the decsion entirely up to me.  I would like it if he just made the decsion. 
Rachel M.
on 9/6/08 12:41 am
My doc also made the decision.  I didn't even know there was more than one band.  I figured he knows more about them than I do even after I've researched them. 

By the way,  I have a Realize Band.

Good luck,
Rachel
motherpagel
on 9/6/08 5:15 am
I chose the Realize Band.  The realize band also has a web site that is a great too; you can keep a food journal and more there.  OH posted an article about the realize band back in June.  It was also a factor in my decision.  The port  size also played an important part in my decision, especially after reading about port problems with some of the other bands.  Good Luck

Sharon
crystal M.
on 9/6/08 5:46 am - Joliet, IL
Did they say those metal hooks attached better than the the Lap Band was attached.  I was wondering if the hooks helped prevent the port from flipping?
lillismummy
on 9/10/08 12:10 am - United Arab Emirates
Hi there

I have the Swedish Adjustable Gastirc Band which I think might be the same as the Realize band.  I wonder if you would mind passing on the website addy as i would like to take a look - thanks
sunshineangel_1977
on 9/6/08 2:44 pm - sabina, OH
i chose it because it had been noted that more foods were tolerated such as steak, breads, pastas...etc...plus the port is flat and doesnt stick out like the lapband port at the time (i heard that lapband has come out with a low profile port now)  i read alot of research before i even knew that it was release by the fda.  My doc started doing them on the day of my sugery and asked my if i wanted the realize or lapband...i got to view both side by side...that is what made me make the final decsion on it...they are really different in looks (port)  that day i saw a man go into get a fil and i could see his port sticking out it was like he had a knob under his shirt.  i didnt want that. 

love hate relationship Eating Disorder      

Jean D.
on 9/8/08 8:47 am
 I have the Realize Band but have the "knob" under my shirt and I hate it - I describe it as an egg.  I showed it to my doctor today and he thinks it will continue to go down and that it is still swollen - I can feel the port right under my skin - I do not have loose skin on my abdomen so there was nothing to hide it in - I can have it moved but don't want to go through another surgery.
speighd
on 9/7/08 8:29 pm - NC
My doctor likes the realize because of a shorter surgery. He doesn't have to sew the port on.
And it does look like the food restrictions are less. And slightly lower complication rate due to the band being wider (less slippage).
Most Active