Port and band pain during pregnancy

dads_girl_32180
on 4/1/11 4:43 am
I'm 2 years post op and the last year I've had trouble with a lot of pain around my port area. It buldges out some and just really tender. I have to watch how I lay and bend or it hurts really bad but Dr hasn't talked about it any. Since I became pregnant, it's 100% worse. I know where everything is stretching that it may cause some discomfort but should I really be experiencing real pain? Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem before. Also, around my band area (right between my breasts and right below my sternum) gets super sore and the pain radiates from side to side from that one spot. I'm just worried and don't know what to think. 
Stephanie M.
on 4/1/11 10:26 am
You don't say how far along you are, but most people need to have their bands unfilled during the 2nd trimester...go to the lapband forum and repost.  There are many on there who have had babies after banding...good luck!

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Amy B.
on 4/2/11 11:55 am
 Just because your doctor hasn't said anything, doesn't mean it's nothing. I would just call and have it checked out. You definitely want to make sure your band hasn't slipped. It sounds like it beginning to cause problems before you got pregnant and is worse now. Is this correct? It would probably be best to have your OB and your surgeon have some sort of communication to make sure everyone is on the same page. Best of luck with your pregnancy!
One day at a time.  
dads_girl_32180
on 4/2/11 1:45 pm
That's a great idea and I wished that would happen but it never would with my Dr :(  He never even looked at my port area, band area, ordered any type of testing, etc. He just said if it's your band, there's nothing I can do but take it out and I can't do that and the visit was over :( I really am miserable :( I'm afraid it's slipped or something too cause I've had some VERY foreful vomiting going on from all this sinus drainage and getting choked, sorry if that was too personal. I've even caused a hemorrhage in my eye from the vomiting. It's been really really bad and leaves me so sore but what do I do when my Lap Band Dr wont check anything? I thought about asking my OB if he knew someone at his hospital that could at least check something another. I really do like my Lap Band Dr but I don't think he is taking me seriously or he is just telling the truth and I'm asking for more. I just don't know :( 

Amy B.
on 4/2/11 8:47 pm
 Oh wow! You are in a tough spot! I am so sorry you are getting this treatment from your surgeon. It just seems like he could do an ultrasound or something to show if there is slippage rather than just saying they have to take it out. I would definitely talk to your OB and see if they could refer you to someone who would look at it. I mean, if you moved to another city/state, you'd have to find someone to help, so you SHOULD be able to see someone locally. I really hope you are able to figure this out and get the help you need for this. Pregnancy can be miserable enough without adding pain and doctor stress to it!
One day at a time.  
dads_girl_32180
on 4/3/11 1:51 am
Thanks so much for being so kind! I hope they can figure out something :(

dads_girl_32180
on 4/2/11 1:36 pm
I am 23 weeks pregnant right now but I had all my fluid taken out when I was just a few weeks pregnant. I have been to my Dr and told him all this but he hasn't even looked at me. He just says the only thing to do if it is my band is take it out and that's not an option so I'm kinda stuck in pain I guess I could say :( Yes, I was having a litlte bit of problems before I was pregnant and it's a lot worse now.
Tom C.
on 4/3/11 5:24 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Here's my 2 cents - FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR!! I can't believe a Doctor won't look at it, and basically say your only choice it to have it removed.

If you bought a car, and it wasn't working correctly and you contacted a repair person and they said either live with it or get a new car - what would you do? Try another place.

If the 2nd & 3rd advice is the same, then you know. If not, then again you know.

Know we're here for you.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
dads_girl_32180
on 4/3/11 6:44 am
Thanks so much for your advice! I'm going to talk to my OB and see if he knows anyone personally that he can get me in with at that hospital. Seems like before I had my band put in, he mentioned to me about another Dr that he knew. I'm not asking for something big ya know. I'm just asking for someone to check it. This is miserable! When I first brought this up about a year ago, my Dr sent me for a gallbladder ultrasound. Everything was fine and it's just continued to get worse. My port budges so bad sometimes that I can't even lay on my side. It caused my entire side to hurt and now the middle of my chest, right below my sternum (where they say my actual band is placed) is so so sore and it's radiating under each breast on both sides now. Sorry if that was too personal. I appologize but I just worry and I have a ways to go and I'm afraid it's going to get worse. I just want to know what's causing all this ya know. I don't think that's asking for too much. I go to my OB this Wed. and I'm going to talk to him and hopefully he knows someone else that I can see.
Tom C.
on 4/3/11 7:06 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

My other suggestion is to call your insurance company if they know someone in your plan, or check the site here for your state and list of Doctors.

This link will help: www.obesityhelp.com/find/bariatric-surgeon/

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active