I reached a goal!

sportsgirl
on 4/1/11 8:01 am
 I reach a goal today.  I ran 1 mile without stopping.  I wasn't even out of breath but my legs hurt alittle.  Just one more step forward to my healthy journey!  Anyone have any exercise tips for me.  I have been going to the gym 3-5 days per week.  45 min of cardio and little weights.  I need to make it exciting so I don't give up or get bored.  Down 17 lbs in 3 months.  Wish the weight was coming off alittle faster.  
crystal M.
on 4/1/11 12:10 pm - Joliet, IL
Congrats!!!  I am not as far along as you are.  I haven't been able to run a mile yet and not slow down to walk once in awhile.  But I did notice you said your legs hurt a little and you did say you did a little weights.  I would suggest to start working on your legs.  The stronger your leg muscles are the less likely you will suffer from soreness and injuries.  You will need to work out your quadriceps and hamstrings...this will help with knee pain and injuries.  Your abductors and adductors will help with strength and speed.  Strengthening your calf muscles help with shin splints...a common injury among runners.  I know this stuff because back when I first started to run I had problems with knee pain right away.  My doctor told me what muscles to work out and it worked....no more pain!!!
sportsgirl
on 4/3/11 10:10 am
 Very true!  Thanks for your tips.  I will work on the legs.  It makes sense I don't want to get an injury now that i'm into it.  That would be my luck!  I never thought in my wildest dreams I could run a mile and actually enjoy it.  I just hope I keep going with this.  
Tom C.
on 4/2/11 1:27 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Great news all around!! Thanks for sharing, and keep up the fantastic work!!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Kim H.
on 4/2/11 2:36 am - Duluth, MN
that is great news! Keep up the great work!

~Kim~

Amy B.
on 4/2/11 11:50 am
Alright! That's awesome! Everyone loses at their own pace, so don't let that get you down. As long as you stick to what the doctor says, you will lose all that you need/want to! Congrats! 
Kim H.
on 4/2/11 4:17 pm - Duluth, MN
why am I so scared for tomorrow(Sunday)? I am on solid foods as of then..but I am scared I will not lose the weight! I am freaking out a little(OK, a LOT). Anyone else have those feelings?

~Kim~

Amy B.
on 4/2/11 8:41 pm
Wow, Kim! I can't believe you haven't had solid foods yet. I'm assuming you've had semi-soft (yogurt, oatmeal, etc.). I was able to begin eating solids after 2 weeks and was so ready that I didn't even think about it making me gain. However, since we had our surgery about the same time, I can tell you some of the "issues" I've faced. Tom has been a huge help explaining most of this! First, since 6 days post surgery, I have been keeping a food journal for EVERYTHING I ate and weighing myself everyday. Some people say that can lead to obsession or disappointment but for me, it helps keep me on track. Having the food diary allows me to go back and see what may have triggered a gain. Anyway, here is how my weight has gone since 2/28:

209, 208, 207, 207, 204, 205, 204, 203, 201, 201, 201, 201, 201, 203, 201, 200, 200, 200, 201, 201, 200, 200 (first adjustment), 200, 198, 197, 195, 196, 197, 197, 195, 194, 193, 193, 192, 193.

The "blue" numbers show weight gain. So you see, it hasn't been all peachy keen, but I've learned that weekends are when I tend to gain. For example, I gained a pound this morning. It probably wasn't a whole pound, but I don't keep up with the ounces. Anyway, weekends are harder for me because we have "family fun night" on Friday's and for the past 3 weeks there has been a new movie out that my kids have wanted to see. Well, I have learned that popcorn is definitely one of my weight triggers, and oddly, doesn't fill me up in the least. So this week, I had 1 handful of popcorn and that was it. Guess what? No weight gain! However...my friend invited us all to her son's birthday party yesterday and I had a "small" piece of cake. I actually asked for just a bite, but since the other pieces that were cut were about the size of 2 GIANT cupcakes smushed together, I guess my slice that was about 1/4 of that was considered a "bite." I should have only had a bite, but was hungry (hadn't eaten in 5 hours) and ate the slice. 

Anyway, what I have learned is that as a whole, I am losing more on solids than before. As long as you eat the protein first and do it ssssslllllooooowwwwwlllllyyyyyy, you will feel full and not want the "bad" solids. I know you can do it. You've done great so far! And truly, everytime I take a bite of something, I ask myself it is worth it to keep eating. Unfortunately, I didn't listen to myself yesterday. But we live and learn!

We'll I'm off to make a cheese omelette. Have a great day!

One day at a time.  
Kim H.
on 4/3/11 4:40 am - Duluth, MN
Yes I did the semi-solids for awhile..cottage cheese, yogurt, sugar free puddings, etc. My biggest question is..HOW do you make 1/2 c of ANYTHING last 20 minutes? That is how long I have been told a meal should take me to eat. I am in the category of the "some people" as far as weighing everyday. I get too obsessed with the "number" so I have been advised by my team to ONLY get weighed at a "fill" or at a regular doctor appointment. We do not even OWN a scale. I will try harder to keep a food diary. I know it has helped me in the past. And, it really IS possible to get in 64+ oz of liquid in a day?
Anyway, thank you so much for replying. Your advice and suggestions are very helpful. The support on OH is phenominal!!!

~Kim~

Tom C.
on 4/3/11 5:14 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

>> HOW do you make 1/2 c of ANYTHING last 20 minutes << Answer – eat it VERY SLOWLY!! My suggestions (A) use a small spoon (like a baby spoon or a tea spoon); (B) put something in your mouth and chew it 30 times before swallowing (C) make sure you wait 60 seconds before you put another piece of food in your mouth.

Now does a 1/2 a cup included EVERYTHING, or is it a 1/2 a cup of X along with some Y and Z? Make sure you get clarification because 1/2 a cup does seem a little small. I was told around 4 ounces of solid protein, long with fiber (vegetables/fruit/salad) and some good (non-starchy) carbs. A balanced meal.

I only weigh myself once a month (on the 'anniversary date')

And yes, I drink 64+ ounce a day. My advice, take a sip (at least 2 oz) every 10 minutes. That's would be 12 ounces and hour if you are awake 10 hours, and you deduct the 3 hours you can't drink (30 minutes before/after a meal) then you should be able to get it 12 x 7 = 64 ounces.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active