Need some inspiration and encouragement

ams2436
on 5/27/11 7:43 am - IN
Hi,
I had lap band surgery back in April 2007 and lost 130lbs WOO HOO.  But in December of last year a fill caused me grief (throwing up a lot) which led to me finding out I had a a herina and a slipped band.  My dr fixed my hernia and replaced my lapband with a realize band.  He warned me I may gain some weight back as I get adjusted with this new band.  Well it has been 5 months and I have gained about 45lbs back.  I get a fill each month, yet I'm still able to eat anything and everything.  I seem to have the "last meal syndrome" each month . Assuming that the following month's fill will be the "one" when I can't eat much anymore.  I have no willpower.  If I did, I wouldn't have spent so much money twice to have these surgeries.  Last month I got a fill that I thought was it, but in fact it was too much.  I started acid reflux at night again and the dr took out .5 (of the 1 cc that I got), so now I can eat anything again.  I'm just getting depressed that may this second band won't work for me.  Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.  If you have had a replacement, I would love to hear your story, but any response is appreciated!@

87lbs gone, 60 more to go
                                                       The new me created on 4/2/07

Kim H.
on 5/27/11 5:20 pm - Duluth, MN
You are not alone in this. I had the Realize Band done 2/28/11..I have had 3 fills and I still feel like I can eat anything and LOTS of it. I had lots of willpower at the beginning, but, now I don't seem to have much. I am trying really hard to drink first if I think I am hungry and that usually helps. But if I am bored I tend to graze. I wish you luck and if you do find what works for you; do me a favor: let me know what it is!

~Kim~

Amy B.
on 5/27/11 9:01 pm
I wish I had some insight, but I haven't had anything like that yet. I can imagine how disheartening it is. All I can say is to think about how good you felt when you lost that 130! Make sure you are following the rules. Are you eating and drinking at the same time? Are you eating things you shouldn't? I just had my surgery in February and have finally (fingers crossed) found the perfect fill for me. Does your surgeon have a support staff? I don't know what I would do without mine! Bottom line, you did it before and I truly believe you can do it again!!!
ams2436
on 5/27/11 9:47 pm - IN
Thanks to both Amy & Kim for your responses.  I'm getting another fill on Tuesday, but I have to get my mind wrapped around the idea that if this band doesn't work for me the same way the other did, then I will just have to learn to make lifestyles changes on my own.  Thanks for your words of wisdom!

Tom C.
on 5/31/11 12:41 am, edited 5/31/11 12:42 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Ams2436,

Be proud you’ve gain 45 pounds, and not the entire 130 pounds. While this is a gain, be proud you have not allowed yourself to throw in the towel. And while you may not think you do, you DO HAVE WILL POWER. If you didn’t, you’re be back to your original weight. 

Ok here is the toughest love you will get .. Yesterday is over and done with. There is nothing we can do about it. Tomorrow is NOW, and it’s time to get yourself back on track.

First – remember this isn’t a diet plan; it’s a way of life. So slips, stumbles and falls will occur. What we do when this happens is truly important. You need to get yourself up, dust yourself off, and get yourself to continue down the road to success.

What you first need to do is ask yourself “Where did I come from" .. then ask yourself “Why did I do this operation" – basically the answer is because it’s a last resort.

You need to realize you are stronger than any craving or any food. It took strength to admit you have a problem you can’t control. It took strength to decide to have an operation. It took strength to do what was needed before and after the operation. It took strength to say “I need help" .. So you have the strength, now you need to call on it.

GET BACK TO THE BASICS !! I tell everyone that. Pretend today was day one of the operation and go back to a strict liquid diet. Do this for a few days (maybe a week), then go onto the next stage of soft food then finally regular food. What you are doing it is detoxing your body of the sugars and bad carbs. When you find yourself hungry – eat .. but SENSIBLE foods. Make sure you also follow all the rules.

You need to go back and follow the rules that made you successful. You need to have the 64 ounces of NON-CARBONATE/DECAFFEINATED liquid. You need to have your 60 to 80 grams of protein. You need to make sure you don’t drink 30 minutes before/after or during your meal. 

What you need to remember is they put the band around your stomach, and not around your brain. You will need to use some self control when it comes to food. If you are hungry stop and ask yourself is this real hunger or head hunger. Asking that alone will probably be an indication it’s head hunger, so you know what to do. Get busy doing something else. If that doesn’t work, EAT – but SOMETHING HEALTHY. Have some salad; vegetables, PROTEIN, etc.

You need to get to support groups. Look on line to find ones around you. You need to discuss this with your Doctor. That’s why he’s there. If you feel you’re not getting the support from him, then you need to go to another Doctor. Remember you are the client/consumer. If you’re paying for a service, you want the best service for that money. If not, move on. You are worth THE BEST because YOU ARE THE BEST !!

You also need to speak to a Nutritionist. Many insurance companies allow you to see one X amount of times per year. Contact your insurance company. Go and speak to the person who did your psych exam, or see someone new. Again, insurance should be able to cover it. Maybe not the person you originally saw, but someone in your plan.

REMEMBER what it took to make you successful. YOU CAN DO IT !! And know I am here if you need me.

Now – get off your a55 – stop making excuses – and (sorry Nike) JUST DO IT !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
ams2436
on 5/31/11 1:31 am - IN
Thanks Tom for this wonderful advice.  I needed to hear that.  My dr is too nice sometimes and just keeps saying...."You will get there".  Your words were inspiring and I plan to not disappoint you and more importantly MYSEL***** another fill today, so I'm going to do your "pretend" steps and get back on target!  Thanks a million.  Best of luck to you on your continued journey.

Tom C.
on 6/1/11 12:12 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
AMS2436,

Know you'll never ever disappoint me.

But bottom line, does it really matter if you do or don't? 

Neither  I, nor anyone else, isn't the person you need to please. The only person is yourself.

So as long as you don't feel you've disappointed yourself, then nothing else matters.

Again, know I will always be here for you!!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
trying2findmyself
on 5/31/11 1:05 am - Allen, OK

I HAD WLS (REALIZE BAND) APRIL 28TH 2010 AND HAVE HAD GREAT SUCCESS WITH MINE. TO ME THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF HELPING YOUR BAND WORK FOR YOU IS TO RELEARN ALL THE STEPS WE WERE TAUGHT IN THE BEGINNING. ARE YOU GETTING ALL YOUR WATER INTAKE? NOT DRINKING 1 HOUR BEFORE OR AFTER MEALS, TAKING REALLY SMALL BITES, CHEWING ALOT BEFORE SWALLOWING? WAITING 2 MINUTES BETWEEN BITES AND MAKING YOUR MEAL LAST 20 TO 30 MINUTES? WE ALL HAVE TO WORK HARD TO SUCCEED I ACTUALLY JUST POSTED THAT I NEED TO GET BACK ON TRACK AND THIS IS THE RIGHT PLACE TO ASK FOR SUPPORT. SO BEST OF LUCK AND KEEP US UPDATED:)
HAVE A GREAT WEEK!
STACY

ams2436
on 5/31/11 1:37 am - IN
Great job on your sucesss Stacy and thanks for your words of encouragement.  I'm going to get back on track and it helps to have encouragement.  Best of luck to you on your continued journey. 

Most Active