Question about my plateau-ing

Kim H.
on 6/20/11 7:50 pm - Duluth, MN
I was just wondering, so I am putting it out there for anyone to reply to...
Last time I tried to lose weight, I lost 40 pounds and plateau-ed. Now, even after WLS I am doing the same thing at the same amount of weight loss. Is it possible this is as low in weight as I am gonna get? (I hope not, I still have 20+ pounds to lose before I am at the goal my doc set for me.)
Any thoughts, comments, etc. are welcome and encouraged. Anyone experience this. I know we "talked about" bumping up the exercise and I think I have to a certain degree. I am trying to eat right. Although, you guys were right. My fill did not fill me much after a week or so...
OK now I am rambling..so I will close with..
I am glad I am a Bandster on the Losers' Bench.

~Kim~

Vivian Prouty
on 6/20/11 10:52 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 Morning Kim,

I know I am not a bandster but a plateau is a plateau no matter what WLS you had.   We ALL hit them and have to deal with them.    You have to "shake things up" so to speak or "trick" your body sometimes to get off them.    Oh and Congratulations on your 40 lb. loss !!!  YOU GO GIRL !!!   Ok....now to subject at hand.    Change up things that you are eating......increase your exercise ( drop the calories for a couple of days then increase them....that works for me to shock the body into losing again ).   I know....we ALL know that part.   I would opt for trying to do high protein foods and maybe even increase your protein intake.   I have a plateau buster's diet that I will look up and post on this board.  It was going around the message boards about 6 yrs. ago and it does work.    You have a great day and keep on rocking that realize band !!!

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Kim H.
on 6/21/11 8:01 am - Duluth, MN
Thanks Vivian, for your encouragement! Maybe while we are in Vegas, we will be doing lots more walking than I am used to doing. Plus, my husband's folks live in a gated community that has a pool and a gym. I will be using those as often as I can, too. Is my understanding incorrect? I thought I was told that included in my 1/2 cup of food, I should be having 2 oz of some kind of protein and a carb. Is that ALL I can have? I see my nutritionist Thursday so I will get that clarified then, too. But what are some thought you (or anyone reading this) may have. I try to walk each day at least 3/4..and most days a whole mile. mile..and I go to aerobics class 2 x per week and yoga once a week...
Thanks again!

~Kim~

Vivian Prouty
on 6/21/11 8:49 am - Fort Worth, TX
 Kim you will get LOTS of walking in Las Vegas....particularly if you go to the Strip.   I went 2 yrs. ago and thought I was going to kill myself I walked so much.   LOL   It did feel good though.   As for how much you should be walking.   That would be a question for your doctor.   You want to make them aware of what you are doing and if they feel you are not doing enough they should be the one's to tell you to increase your activity not me.    I am not a medical anything.   LOL  I am just a homemaker who had WLS almost 6 yrs. ago and has kept it off.    Good luck to you and have lots of fun on your vacation and remember to drink LOTS of water and make wise food choices.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

crystal M.
on 6/21/11 11:40 pm - Joliet, IL

Kim-
As far as your diet goes...every doctor and NUT is different.  I wish they would get together and come up with some universal guidlines for everyone.  Anyway, my doctor allows 4-6 oz of protein and 1/2 of veggies and 1/2 of starch (but I don't always eat the starch).  I eat about 1200-1400 calories a day. 

crystal M.
on 6/21/11 11:33 pm - Joliet, IL
Kim

I would say it's a good idea to increase your intensity of your workouts.  Workout harder not necessarily longer.  Although, if you have the time adding an extra day or and extra 15 minutes a day will help you.  I also have had intervals do wonders for me.  If you go walking or if you are on a treadmill just walk at a nice brisk pace like you normally do and then break out into a run for 1-2 minutes and then walk again for 4-5 minutes and repeat over and over again.  This type of exercise has been so helpful in keeping my weight coming off. 

You also have to remember the closer you get to your goal weight the harder it will be to lose the weight.   

Good luck...and think positive...you will positively get this weight off...
Kim H.
on 6/22/11 12:52 am - Duluth, MN
Thank you so much! I appreciate everyone's input!

~Kim~

Most Active