How much can you eat?

DonnaMaria
on 6/13/13 9:21 am
I have had the band for six years. I can eat quite a bit. I was at a seminar yesterday and they said banders should eat 3 oz. protein and a few oz. of veggies and be satisfied.
Is that how much, or should I say how little everyone eats? Even in the beginning I never could be satisfied with that small amount. I lost 85lbs. Originally and gained 20 back. They are suggesting the sleeve but I am worried I will not get by with a few oz. on that either!
So I guess I am asking is that how little you eat?

Stephanie M.
on 6/13/13 2:15 pm

I could never eat more than 3/4-1 cup of food.  The most I had in my band was 3.5 cc.  I had surgery to remove my band last week.  Haven't eaten normally in over 18 months.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

(deactivated member)
on 7/2/13 5:29 am
On June 13, 2013 at 4:21 PM Pacific Time, DonnaMaria wrote:
I have had the band for six years. I can eat quite a bit. I was at a seminar yesterday and they said banders should eat 3 oz. protein and a few oz. of veggies and be satisfied.
Is that how much, or should I say how little everyone eats? Even in the beginning I never could be satisfied with that small amount. I lost 85lbs. Originally and gained 20 back. They are suggesting the sleeve but I am worried I will not get by with a few oz. on that either!
So I guess I am asking is that how little you eat?

It's pretty easy to get by on that amount when you have a working tool.  I had a band and hated it, revised to a sleeve 5 years ago and life is good!

CROSS6901
on 7/10/13 8:26 am

I too got the Realize band (3 years ago this August) and lost 90 lbs but since January have been struggling with weight gain because I am no longer feeling any restriction.  My doctor sent me for a fluroscopy fill and the radiologist added fluid but I still wasn't restricted.  The only thing I noticed was that I was getting terrible heartburn no matter what I ate.  So the doctor said that was a sign that the band was too tight and she removed fluid.  So, my surgeon recommended removing the band and doing a vertical sleeve.  I was thrilled.  Unfortunately, my insurance won't pay for a revision.  ($&#Y&!  So, I am back at the drawing board trying to find a way to keep the weight from coming back on. 

Carla
(deactivated member)
on 8/3/13 10:55 am
On July 10, 2013 at 3:26 PM Pacific Time, CROSS6901 wrote:

I too got the Realize band (3 years ago this August) and lost 90 lbs but since January have been struggling with weight gain because I am no longer feeling any restriction.  My doctor sent me for a fluroscopy fill and the radiologist added fluid but I still wasn't restricted.  The only thing I noticed was that I was getting terrible heartburn no matter what I ate.  So the doctor said that was a sign that the band was too tight and she removed fluid.  So, my surgeon recommended removing the band and doing a vertical sleeve.  I was thrilled.  Unfortunately, my insurance won't pay for a revision.  ($&#Y&!  So, I am back at the drawing board trying to find a way to keep the weight from coming back on. 

There is always self pay.  Mexico is a great option for self pays IF you do your research.

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/13 2:38 am

Have you removed the band?

If not, talk with your doctor to help you treat your acid and reflux. Then change your diet and go on a strict portion control. Look the band is nothing but portion control.  The key is to adjust to the needs of the band and the band will take care of you.

Pl don't depend on the band to restrictt your food intake. Just use it as an aid. You may not need a sleeve after all!

Good luck.

traceydj
on 1/28/14 11:24 pm

Hey Cross6901...so what happened? I am in teh same boat you were. I swear i had every side effect from that damn sleeve..lol.  i couldnt sleep on my back or stomach. Could only really sleep on my right side..i couldnt eat..then lay down. 

food woud pour out of my nose at any point during the day if i ate too much (yeah..i know). I carred a super size bottle of tums with me where i go. I couldnt eat spicy foods, apples, raisins, watermelon, brocolli..etc. I got all of the fluid out of my band..now i can eat anything..and have gained weight...what a vicious cycle.

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/13 2:51 am

I am not a surgeon or a doctor. I have studied the medical products. If you have a band for 6 years. See the band is a medical device that splits the stomach in two half. The top is supposed to take little food and expand so you feel full. The science behind is portion control. Over the time..6 yrs in your case, it seems you have conditioned the top half of the stomach to expand. The way it expanded is also the same way it can regress since restriction is there!  (ASSUMING YOUR BAND IS STILL THERE) Consider portion control and you will see that the band is doing its job. Sleeve surgery may be a good option but keep in mind that this is a surgical restriction, your stomach's major portion is stappled and cut at the same time, if there is a bleed or leak you are now dealing with additional hospital visits and potential procedures. Try portion control, give your band a chance.

If you still go for sleeve SURGERY, I wish you good luck, its a good procedure. Just understand the limitation of the sleeve procedure. Remember there is no magic treatment. We as patients need to do our job from the compliance side.

Try portion control and move around as much as you can. Wishing you the best!

Most Active