Need Really Great Non-Fishy-Tasting Salmon Recipe

lizzybear
on 1/21/08 4:10 am - Olympia, WA
Help! My sister and brother-in-law fish A LOT and are helping me learn to like fish. So far I've done well with cod, halibut, sea bass, steelhead that they've given me, as well as mahi mahi I bought frozen at Costco. But my sis & bil catch a lot of salmon, too. I've never liked salmon because it's so fishy tasting. She said you just have to cook it right - but she likes it grilled or baked with mayonnaise spread on it and lemon slices layered on. I still haven't liked it that way. But my DH and I went to a retirement dinner a couple weeks ago and they had baked salmon on the buffet, so he got some. I took a couple bites just to try it out (and it was the only protein available!) and loved it. It didn't taste fishy or strong at all - it ws the most awesome fish I've tried. Even my DH said it was the absolute best tasting salmon he's ever tried - and he likes salmon. So, I know there's got to be a trick to cooking it. I get it super-fresh - usually the day of or the day after they catch the fish, so can cook it right away. I don't like lemon on foods, so the old standby everyone tells me of baking it with lemon squeezed on it won't work. Any other ideas??
Darlene W.
on 1/27/08 4:47 am - Arcata, CA
I like either Petralie or Talipila (not sure of spelling)..they are both really mild fish. I am on the west coast so not sure if you can get it anywhere else..I just pan fry it with a little spray and salt and pepper and its good and has lots of protein.
~ Stylz ~
on 1/28/08 12:34 am - North of Boston, MA
I love it this way and usually bake it instead of putting it on a cedar plank. I'm in the same boat you are.. Trying new fishes. its so good for you but I've never been a fan of it.. making myself like salmon so i've been trying different recipe variations now I like it Tilapia is also good, but after hearing its not a great fish (even the fish market guy said he wouldn't feed it to his pets) I passed Salmon with a Dijon Cream Sauce 1 large filet of salmon - Cut in 6 oz. filets 1/2 cup Dijon mustard 1/4 cup mayonnaise 1 tbsp. low carb honey sweetener 2 tbsp. low carb simple syrup (equal parts water and Splenda) 1 tsp. dill weed Rosemary to garnish 2 Cedar Planks- soaked in water overnight Salmon Preparation: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix mustard, mayonnaise, low carb sweetener and dill weed in bowl with wire whip. Place salmon on cutting board skin side down. Remove skin from salmon filets with long sharp slicing knife by carefully running knife between skin and meat of filet starting at tail and slicing to top. Cut filet into 6 portions (fish monger can do this if you like). Make sure all bones are removed. Place filets on cedar planks and coat each with about a tablespoon of Dijon sauce(food safe paint brush is good for this). Garnish with rosemary sprig then bake in 400 degree oven for 12-14 minutes. Yields 6 servings - approximately less than one carb per serving
Brenda P.
on 2/16/08 9:52 am - GA
I usually broil my slamon or grill it on the George Foreman grill and then spinkle a little brown sugar on top and let it melt. I really like it this way. I have not tried the brown sugar substitutes yet....

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/08 4:28 pm - Albany, OR
I usually just bake it with a little of that spray "butter" and a little dill. It's my go-to food when I don't have the time or desire to make anything extravagant.
(deactivated member)
on 3/17/08 8:41 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
How are you cooking your steelhead?  That's a very rich, fishy tasting red flesh fish as well. I have done the salmon baked in the oven with some mayonnaise on the top and I used the splenda brown sugar on it and it kinda caramelized.  Baked with lemon is the usual standard and very tasty but if you don't like lemon, all the recipes in the world won't help you.  Here's one I have tried and it's very tasty.  Sometimes I put it on the grill as they suggest and other times I just bake in the oven.  They say to take the skin off but sometimes I just leave it on and then remove just before eating.

Asian Salmon

2 skinless salmon fillets (about 4 ounces each) 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root 1 teaspoon soy sauce 1 teaspoon maple syrup 2 green onions, chopped

place salmon in a pie plate or shallow dish. Combine remaining salmon ingredients; mix well. Pour marinade over salmon; let stand 15 to 20 minutes. Heat a ridged grill pan over medium heat until hot. Add salmon, discarding marinade; cook 3 to 4 minutes per side or until salmon is opaque and firm to the touch.

***When I bake in oven, it's usually a whole side of the fillet and I leave skin on.  Preheat oven to 425F, place marinated fish on lightly oiled cookie sheet, skin side down and bake for 25 mins.***

Most Active