Pretzel Salad

luanne711
on 3/27/11 12:46 pm - Bradford, PA
is it possible to make a weight loss surgery friendly version of the infamous strawberry pretzel salad? 
Luanne

I started WL journey on Jan 14, 2009 starting weight @ 342 

Surgery date was July 22, 2009 and started @ 310 and and my goal weight
is 150.00.                   
dwpersel
on 3/30/11 1:06 am - Fredericksburg, VA
I had never heard of a pretzel salad until I googled it. I'm presuming you could substitute sugar free jello and Cool Whip as well as Splenda. The pretzels??????

Diana

luanne711
on 3/30/11 5:50 am - Bradford, PA
Thanks.  It looks really rich and I was cleaning out the cupboards the other day and didn't have the heart to throw away the pretzels and I do eat them from time to time  :-)

Luanne
Luanne

is 150.00.                   
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 3/30/11 6:15 am

You could use nuts to replace some of the pretzels.  Less carbs but more fat.

Winnie

jenysez1
on 3/31/11 10:53 am - LA
put your recipe please, I have never had or heard od this before.

Jenny
luanne711
on 4/1/11 1:58 pm - Bradford, PA
it's time for one of our creative blogging food creators to create one.....  I"m waiting  :-)
Luanne

is 150.00.                   
jennkitt
on 5/6/11 1:10 am - MI
I found this while searching.... this could work for the crust, and then the other subs previously discussed....

Sweet-and-Salty Almond Crust

Emeril made his crust with crushed pretzels, to get that salty note so characteristic of margaritas. We're not going to use pretzels, of course, so I came up with this crust instead. It's great with the margarita-flavored filling!

1 1/2 cups almonds

1/3 cup vanilla whey protein powder

1/4 cup Splenda

1/4 cup melted butter

1 tablespoon kosher salt (I like kosher salt for this because the larger grains make a real contribution)

Preheat oven to 325. Have a springform pan assembled and well-sprayed with non-stick cooking spray on hand.

Put your almonds in your food processor, with the S-blade in place. Run the food processor until the almonds are ground. Add the vanilla whey protein powder and Splenda, and pulse to mix. You may need to open the processor and run a knife around the bottom edge, to get everything into the path of the blade. Now, turn the processor on and pour in the butter while it's running. Let everything blend - and once again, you may need to do the knife-around-the-bottom-edge-of-the-processor trick. When the butter is evenly distributed, turn the processor off. Add the kosher salt, and pulse the processor just enough to distribute the salt through the mixture.

Press firmly into the prepared pan, making sure you cover the seam around the bottom - but don't expect to be able to build it all the way up the sides or anything. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until lightly golden, and cool.

Jenn
HW: 305, Consult: 285, Day of surg:261

luanne711
on 5/6/11 2:31 am - Bradford, PA
Thanks Jen.  It's actually a salad, but I suspect you could use those ingredients to make it salad like.  :-)
Luanne

is 150.00.                   
temporarynicole
on 5/20/11 11:12 am
Im one of those "food bloggers" and think I might have a way to work it out - but I wont have time to make it until week after next - so if you wanna play aroudn until then - try Almonds (raw)  in a coffee grinder and make an Almond Meal - which is courser than flour. Then use other ingredients and substitutions you had planned. Maybe you could do crushed wheat thins shredded wheat. I dunno...like I said - Ill play with it next week!
Surgery Date 1-29-09
Surgery Weight
Lowest Weight 175
Current Weight 195
Surgeon Goal
Personal Goal

Total lost since surgery 142 pounds!!
luanne711
on 5/22/11 3:28 am - Bradford, PA
thank you Nicole.  those are great ideas too.  I'll be looking for your recipe  :-) 
Luanne

is 150.00.                   
Most Active