Shirataki Noodles -- have you tried these? I think I may be!

Zaudika
on 5/13/13 9:03 am - Gulf Breeze, FL

So, I've been exploring, looking at recipes, food ideas, etc.

My Nurse Practitioner friend at work is doing the "Wheat Belly" diet - which is appears to be another form of a low carb diet.

Anyhow, I was looking at the recipes in her "Wheat Belly diet" book and they had the shirataki noodles listed for use in making all kinds of pastas. Sooo..I proceeded to Google and looked them up.

This is what I found through Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirataki_noodles

I found some nutritional info on them too and a serving ranges from 5 calories to 20 calories. The carbs are low as can be as well.

There's no protein benefit to these - but they might be awesome as a base for some meaty type recipes! ..

Has anyone tried these? Wikipedia gives a few different ways to cook them and I'd probably go for the 'dry roast' method myself.

I'm thinking I may need to discover where they are and give them a go. :)

Weight at time of Surgery: 278.   Lowest Weight 178.   Current weight 187.0.  Goal: 160.

Blondie76
on 5/15/13 3:46 am - AL
I haven't tried them just because I don't like pasta. My mom loves them. She does a 'pan fry' and eats them that way. They're in the refrigerated section of most grocery stores. Usually either where the wonton wrappers are or where the vegan/soy/rice cheese is.
momofnini
on 7/7/13 12:45 pm - TX

I have had these noodles and honestly did not like them. It was not the taste as that was bland but the texture. It reminded me of a mushroom or lobster texture that I don't like. There are so many recipes from Hungry girl that look so good but I just can't get over the texture. Oh and they have a smell but you rinse them very well and it goes away.

drowin
on 11/22/15 1:53 pm

I have tried these a couple of times.  I am not a huge pasta eater so I did not mind them.  You will need to follow the directions and rinse them well.  I have used them when I make the Olive Garden mock Mediterranean Garlic Shrimp.  The flavor in the sauce over powers the taste of the noodle so I thought it was great.  Killed an out of control craving that I was having.  I prefer the "angel hair" style pasta.  My hubby who is a pasta lover did not care for them, but will eat them if that is the only way I cook that recipe.  I say give them a shot.

Most Active