Cabbage Soup

Tammy H.
on 4/18/16 8:23 am - Greenville, OH

2-3 lbs of hamburger ( I use ground chuck...Browned and drain...Can substitute for diced grilled chicken, or tear up chicken from a routissari chicken. ( excuse the spelling )...Its also good without meat.

1 head of cabbage, chopped ( NOT Fine )

2 cups diced celery

1 large white or yellow onion, diced 

1 green bell pepper ( cleaned and diced )

2 -3 gloves on garlic minced...I use approx 2 heaping Tablespoons of minced garlic from a jar.

beef broth  ( I use one of those boxes of beef broth)

1 jar/can of spaghetti sauce ( your favorite...I use one that says Basil, oregano, garlic on the front)

2 teaspoons of oregano

2 teaspoons of basil

salt and pepper to taste.

Place all the above ingredients except for the cabbage into a crock pot & stir...Cook on high approx 3 hours, then add the cabbage...Cook approx 2 more hours ****il cabbage is done)...You can add the cabbage at the same time as the other ingredients if you don't plan on being home...Just set the crock pot on a lower temperature.

I don't know all the nutritional facts, but its a very healthy soup, and delicious...Its great left over too.

Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only TRUE FRIENDS will leave footprints in your heart...And may that friendship have such a ONENESS that when one weeps the other will taste salt...Friends are like balloons ; once you let them go you can't get them back....So I'm going to tie you to my heart so I never lose you.

crafty_gal
on 5/17/16 8:16 am
RNY on 04/26/16

I make something similar, but without the meat. I saute the raw veggies first, use 2 qts of tomato juice instead of spag sauce, no oregano or basil and add a can of green beans, drained, before the cabbage. I do it on the stovetop, rather than the crockpot. I like to freeze portions flat in ziploc bags for an easy lunch or dinner. The kids and hubby will have a grilled cheese sandwich on the side of it. A one cup serving has about 50 cal according to myfitnesspal and it was a great dinner during my liquid diet pre-op phase (I would eat my protein earlier in the day, and save this one for dinner)

HW: 333 Consult Weight: 318 SW: 293

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/16 11:07 pm - nyork, AK

ABBAGE SOUP

3 tbsp. tomato paste
2 tbsp. olive oil
4 c. water
2 tbsp. instant beef bouillon
1 pkgs. Lipton onion soup mix
1/2 c. chopped carrots
1/2 c. chopped celery
1 tsp. chopped parsley
1/2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
1/2 to 1 c. chopped cabbage
1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Combine tomato paste, olive oil, water, beef bouillon, onion soup mix, garlic powder in stockpot. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Add carrots, celery, parsley and Italian seasoning. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add cabbage, simmer until tender. Ladle into soup bowls.
Makes 6 servings

OR

CABBAGE SOUP

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
2 (16 oz.) cans tomato juice
1 pkg. Lipton onion soup mix
1 lg. head cabbage

Cook beef; drain fat. Add tomato juice, onion soup, chopped, washed cabbage (not too fine) to a large kettle or Dutch oven along with the beef. Simmer one hour on medium heat

OR

CABBAGE SOUP

12 oz. V-8 juice
4 ribs celery, cut in 2 inch pieces
2 (14 oz.) cans sliced style stewed tomatoes, undrained
2 (14 oz.) cans clear beef broth
1 broth can of water
3/4 lb. ham steak in bits (optional)
1 onion, size of a lemon, diced small
1/4 of a 2 1/2 lb. head of cabbage, diced with core and tough leaves removed
1 tsp. dry minced parsley
1 envelope onion soup mix
Generous dash of pepper
Salt, if desired, to taste

Put V-8 juice and celery into a blender on high speed until minced. Combine with all other ingredients in a soup kettle. Bring to a boil. At once turn to a gentle simmer and let it simmer covered 2 hours or until cabbage is tender. Makes 6 to 8 servings. Leftovers can be frozen and thawed to use within a year

OR

CABBAGE SOUP

1 med. head white cabbage
1 med. onion
1 lb. ground beef
4 slices bacon
1 can tomato soup or stewed tomatoes
3-4 q****er
Salt to taste

Chop onion and saute. Add to cabbage. Brown ground beef, drain and add to cabbage. Cut bacon in pieces and coo****il softened. Drain and add to cabbage. Simmer for 2-3 hours. Add tomato and let cook another 1/2 hour. Enjoy. This soup taste great the next day also.

Recipe Source Via Masala TV

Most Active