Easy no-bake carrot cake

heleneK
on 3/16/19 8:14 am

No, that is not true. Sugar is not sugar. Look at the scientific research studies on the NutritionFacts website and others. It is proven that natural sugars such as in fruit and vegetables do not effect the body negatively. And remember fruit and veggies are fiber rich which slows down sugars. It is processed sugar that is the problem.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/16/19 10:25 am

On average and in theory you may be correct. My body is neither average nor adhere to the theories. I dumped as badly on dates as I would on pure sugar. And then get RH and...

My body doesn't care if the sugar it got it from pure sugar or from more fruits.

I am not diabetic not I ever been diagnosed as such, but grew up eating a lot of fruits and gaining weight on them. Even now, when I am out and get low blood sugar, 1/2 banana would fix it in no time. And it more tasty than a glucose tablets.

And to add to things - if you really want to quote studies, and research, the sugar in most fruits is fructose, and fructose can be really bad and cause fatty liver, high triglycerides, and issues like that. Plus since cancer feed on sugar, having diet full of fruits can cause real issues.

I eat more fruits when I want to stop weight loss or gain some.

The idea that vegan diet is beneficial for people is very old. We need minerals and vitamins that are not available in just plan form.

At one time, when I was younger, I became vegan and after 6 months I was in a horrible state. Not only I gained app 30 lbs but I became anemic, and I had severe deficiencies. I was younger and stupid and believed the naturopath who was supposed to help me. Plus I had issues with digestion, lots of gas and discomfort. It took me over a year to fully recover from the "vegan experiment". Some people may do ok, but they need to supplement iron , B12 and fish oil. Unfortunately the flax oil can't be use because our body is not very efficient in turning that into essential fatty acids.

Add gluten and lectins that plan base diet is full of and that can create a while new set of problems, and cause flares in autoimmune type situation.

Please read more current studies that are bringing up the issues.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

heleneK
on 3/16/19 1:44 pm

All of this that you said is not true. You wrote: "sugar in most fruits is fructose, and fructose can be really bad and cause fatty liver, high triglycerides, and issues like that."
--No, eating fruit does not cause fatty liver disease. Look at the scientific research studies on fatty liver disease and there is the same conclusion in most studies. Study: It "mainly resulted from a higher total fructose and glucose intake derived from a significantly higher consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages." Especially soft drinks with high fructose corn syrup. As for triglycerides, direct fom a research study: "Seventeen people were made to eat twenty servings a day of fruit. Despite the extraordinarily high fructose content of this diet, presumably about 200 grams a day--8 cans of soda worth--the investigators reported no adverse effects (and possible benefit actually) for body weight, blood pressure, and insulin and lipid levels (fats in the blood) after three to six months. More recently, Jenkins and colleagues put people on about a twenty-servings-of-fruit-a-day diet for a few weeks, and no adverse effects on weight or blood pressure or triglycerides, and an astounding 38-point drop in LDL cholesterol."

You wrote "Plus since cancer feed on sugar. And having diet full of fruits can cause real issues."
--I did not say only eat fruit. Eat a balanced diet. But I have met people who have cured cancer by eating only fruit. And research studies show that natural sugars from fruit and vegetables do not negatively affect the body. I have also met many people who cured their cancer on a raw vegan diet. (People who conventional medicine gave up on and said they were going to die.)

You wrote "The idea that vegan diet is beneficial for people is very old."
--not true. A plant-based diet is very beneficial and alot of people are adopting it. There was a 600% increase in vegans within the last few years. And now some hospitals are now incorporating vegan foods. And the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine recommends a plant-based diet. And Dr. Esselstyn and Dr. Ornish both each proved that a plant-based diet can reverse heart disease.(#1 killer) It is the only diet proven to do so.

You wrote "We need minerals and vitamins that are not available in just plant form."
--A plant-based diet is the most nutrient dense diet. Look at the ANDI nutrient density chart and you will see that plant foods are at the top as most nutritious and animal foods are at the bottom. Plants have way more nutrients, and plus they have very beneficial phytonutrients that are only in plants. A person can live and thrive on a healthy plant-based diet.

(Vegans) "need to supplement iron , B12 and fish oil."
--not true. First off, vegans do not eat fish or fish oil because it comes from an animal. The only one is Vitamin B-12 which can be gotten from a supplement or nutritional yeast. And there are plenty of plant-based sources of iron. (And I know 3 non-vegans who have iron deficiency, but I do not.)

"Add gluten and lectins that plan base diet is full of."
--no, not everyone eats gluten. People can choose what plant foods they eat. I eat mostly raw plant food and so no gluten. And lectins in fruits and veggies have shown benefits. For example, research studies show "banana lectin is a potent inhibitor of HIV replication".

It does not sound to me like read enough on a healthy plant-based diet before you tried it.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/17/19 8:41 am

It does not sound like you know the latest studies and research. Good luck with your "healthy" vegan diet. That may work for some people but not most IMO.

What is also very interesting is that slot if vegans try to push their beliefs on others. As in "if others do what I do it must be right". It is almost like a cult, personal beliefs pushed on others. I personally don't care if you eat or don't eat meat or animal proteins.

I know my body, my life, and your insulting comments that "you were not on real healthy vegan diet" are just that: personal attack. You don't consider people may be sensitive to food items, or get sick when they follow what you consider "optimum diet".

What religion you belong to? Scientology?

I am done trying to explain to you that some diets work for some people. You do your vegan diet, and make sure you supplement Vitamins and minerals your diet is missing.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

heleneK
on 4/1/21 10:16 am

It's not a personal attack. It is a reasonable assumption that you weren't eating mostly fruits and vegetables if you gained 30 lbs on a vegan diet. Most fruits and vegetables are low calorie. A cup of spinach is 14 calories. And if you were low in iron then it sounds like you did not eat enough plant based sources of iron. And I do know the latest research studies on nutrition. I have reviewed at least 5 nutrition studies per day for 25 years, plus reading research based nutrition books, view research on Nutritionfacts.org every day and am certified in plant-based nutrition from Cornell which is research based. A whole food plant-based diet is very nutritious and healthy.

For example, kale has high levels of antioxidants, plus produces the anticancer Sulforaphane in the body, plus 1 cup of kale has 206% daily value of Vitamin A, 134% dv of Vitamin C, 684% dv of Vitamin K, 9% daily value of Vitamin B6 and calcium, 26% dv of manganese, and has alot of other nutrients.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/1/21 10:35 am

You are delusional that you can get all vitamins, minerals, proteins, and essential fatty acids from vegan diet, without supplementation.
I wish you well, but one day you would realize how damage vegan diet can be to a person.

Good luck in your journey. I DO wish you all the best.

Kathy S.
on 3/19/19 5:52 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

This may be fine for you as you have posted you are following weigh****chers. But for those of us that are sticking too our weight loss surgery way of eating this is not a good choice. Thank you for sharing and we will agree to disagree

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active