Yummy Calzone!

drshayy
on 9/25/05 8:49 am - North Miami Beach, FL
I had a severe craving for a calzone after surgery... go figure.. it's one of the things i wanted to have prior but never got around to... anyway, i found this great recipe, made it,and was amazed - so i wanted to share it Veggie Calzones Ingredients: CRUST ? 2 1/4 cups bread flour ? 2/3 cup oat bran ? 1 1/2 teaspoons Rapid Rise yeast ? 1 teaspoon sugar ? 1/4 teaspoon salt ? 1 cup water Filling 1 1/4 cups fresh spinach 1/4 cup onions, chopped 1 1/4 cups non/lowfat ricotta cheese 3/4 cup non/lowfat grated mozzarella cheese 3 tablespoons non/lowfat grated Parmesan cheese 3/ 4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning Sauce 2 cups lowfat tomatoes sauce Directions: In a large bowl, combine 1 1/4 cups of the flour with the oat bran, yeast, sugar, and salt and stir well. Place the water in a saucepan, and heat on medium heat. Add the water to the flour mixture, and stir for 1-2 minutes. Stir in enough of the remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to form a stiff dough. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the remaining flour over a flat surface, and place the dough onto the surface. Knead the dough for 5 minutes, gradually adding enough of the remaining flour to form a smooth ball. Coat a large bowl with nonstick cooking spray (nonfat), and place the dough in the bowl. Cover the bowl with a towel, and let rise for about 30-40 minutes. When the dough has risen divide it into 6 portions, and shape each portion into a ball. Using a rolling pin, roll each ball into a circle. Combine all of the filling ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, and stir well. Spread the filling on the top half of each circle of dough. Brush a little water around the outer edges of each circle, fold the bottom half over the top half, and firmly press the edges together to seal. Place the calzones on the baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees F for 15-18 minutes. Serve the calzones hot with warm sauce spread over top. Nutritional Information: Serving size: 1 calzone ? Calories: 290 ? Fat: 1 g ? Protein: 17 g ? Fiber: 3.5 g ? Carbohydrates: 35 g ? Sodium: 340 mg
Most Active