Revised from RNY to VSG losing very slowly

baylady35310
on 3/25/11 6:53 am - Millsboro, DE

Is any one experiencing the same thing? I had my VSG in December, I lose 2 lbs and then look on the scale two days later and I am up 1 lbs, I am up and down and losing very slowing.  Eating protein first and low carbs below 40.  Please let me know if you are experiencing the same thing.  I exercise on my Pilates machine faithfully every day.  So far I have lost 55 lbs, but the bulk of that I lost in the hospital because I had it laproscopically done and then went home and then went back and was in the hospital for a month because of leakage problems.  I do not want to have to go back and have the final portion of the surgery done to full DS because of the problems I had with this.  Please help, I need a buddy.

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/11 12:47 pm
I am probably of no help but I will try. I have had the VSG. Fortunately I lost 69 lbs the first 5 months. During the past 30 days or so I have lost one pound!! I eat plenty of protein about 80, have less than 750 cals daily and about 20 Carbs (mostly less). Liquid intake is from 73 to 100+ ounces daily. No candy, snacks or junk food period!!  Acccording to everything I read I am eating and drinking as I am supose to. My MD agrees.
MD did say that I will ENJOY   lengthly periods of stall now that I am within 22 lbs of goal weight which is middle of  low weight and over weight on the BMI scale. MD also said that loosing inches rather than lbs is what is important. He emphasized that muscle weight weighs more that fat. Therefore if I am loosing inches around the waist and areas that are fat but stay the same weight I am doing good.
Problem is to me I still have to much belly and thigh fat but I have gone from a 31 waist to a 30 during this stall. When it gets right down to it my MD said just be patient and keep eating the right stuff and that some bodies just matabolize slower than others.
Hope I was somewhat helpful.
Good luck and sorry to hear about the leakage.
Mike_61 
(deactivated member)
on 3/25/11 4:00 pm - San Jose, CA
I don't really understand why you would revise from a failed slightly malabsorptive procedure to a restrictive only procedure - and one which is less restrictive than your primary procedure.  I can't imagine how that could be expected to work very well.

You need the switch portion of the DS, sooner rather than later.  You will likely find that the switch is easier on you than the revision to the stomach.
Renfairewench
on 3/25/11 11:48 pm
You know, I have to agree with Diana and wondered why you went to a non malaborption WLS.. You went from a malabsorption RNY to just a purely restrictive weight loss surgery. Do you know if the surgeon left your intestines the same or did he move them back to anatomical correctness?  It sounds to me like you might need the malabsorption that you would get from the DS.  I had a revision from RNY to DS August of 2009 and I'm down 155 pounds. Yes, there are some distinct differences with the DS, but I love being thin and having clothes look good on me. I like not climbing stairs and breathing hard after I get to the top. I could go on, but you get where I am going. Consider the DS (go to DSFACTS.COM). I am certain you would lose more weight.

Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

baylady35310
on 3/25/11 11:56 pm - Millsboro, DE

Thanks all for replying, I was suppose to have the DS but because there was so much problems with the first 1/2 of the operation, taking down the RNY and shortening the channel to 120 cm, he opted to end it and then told me I could come back fo the other 1/2 which would only take 1 1/2 more to do.  The thing that scares me, I am trying my hardest to make this work because I do not want to go under again because I left the hosptial thinking everything was fine with the first operation and then 5 days later was in terrible pain went back and had to be reoperated on I had spesis, leakage throughout and was in a coma for 7 days and in the hospital for 6 weeks.  I almost died.  So I guess the thing to do is eat protein and just exercise and it will come off slowly.  Thanks everyone!

Renfairewench
on 3/28/11 9:51 pm
Well, as far as revisions go they are risky. I am the queen of post op complications and had a LOT of them and spent 17 months fighting with a leak, fistulas and more. It wasn't until December when I opted to have another surgery to try to fix everything that things are pretty normal for me now. The last sugery was scary because there was a huge potential that I might not wake up with a stomach at all. Turns out that another 1/3 of my stomach had to be removed. I lost my pylorus in the operation due to poor blood flow and a strictures so tight that they could not be stretched. The operation was successful and I have been complication free since December. 

I could have had the operation done earlier, but truthfully I wasn't ready. It sounds to me like you are not ready headwise for the second part of your surgery. Until you get there don't do it.  The intestinal part of the operation, from my understanding is supposed to be easier.  The most important thing though is that you have a surgeon who is well vetted and who does revisions.  Also, you might want to ask if he uses the Hess method for determining common channel length.  You could always ask for a longer common channel (100 cc's seems to be an average. Mine is 50cc's). With a longer common channel you have less malabsorption.

Just some food for thought.

Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Most Active
Recent Topics